Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 07:17 AM

369 posts, read 461,295 times

Advertisements

What's on everyone's hurricane supply list?

Off the top of my head, here is mine:

Full tank of gas
cash
full propane tanks for grill
instant coffee
booze
good stock of toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags, disposable plates, cups, cutlery
assortment of canned food, fresh fruits and veggies, bread, snacks
wet wipes
gallons of water
batteries for lanterns, headlamps & NOAA weather radio
duct tape
tarp
Full charge on cell phones & tablets, download kid friendly movies/apps on iPads
jumbo packs of glow sticks (if we lose power, I use glow sticks to mark stairs and other objects around the house so we can easily navigate in the dark. I also put them on the kids)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 09:43 AM

806 posts, read 607,345 times
I bought 10 solar powered garden lights to add to ours this week. Can use them inside if we lose power. They were only 13 bucks.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:15 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,377,348 times
I'm not really that worried about it. I was here for Fran.

After Fran we couldn't drive anywhere for all the downed trees, so the gas was not really needed.

Folks grilled the food/meat in the freezer before it went bad so the propane or charcoal is nice to have on hand.

Make sure you've got water, but if you're in the city, water is rarely affected by power outages.

Flashlights are always good.

We've got a some solar phone chargers and our car will charge our phones too.

Not sure why you would need paper plates unless you're on a well and worried about your water going out. No problem with water in the city during Fran and I'm sure none of these storms will be as bad as Fran. If you do lose power and it looks like it's going to be out for a long time, one tip is to go ahead and take that last hot shower after the storm passes 'cause the hot water in the water heater doesn't retain heat that long. After that your shower is just going to be cold.

Overall, though, being w/o power for a week or 10 days in September is vastly preferable in my book to being w/o power for a week in the winter during an ice storm. BTDT, I'll take Sept. Grill out, hang out with the neighbors, go to the park, etc, vs freezing in a cold, dark house.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:37 AM

4,593 posts, read 3,792,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
All it takes is one. Personally, I wouldn't put nature in a box like that. That's when she takes a bite out of your a**.

Right. I guess we will have our first remarkable outlier.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:41 AM

369 posts, read 461,295 times
Paper plates, etc are so that dirty dishes don't pile up in the sink since dishwasher can't run without power. I'm not a fan of doing dishes by hand (possibly for multiple days) for a family of 4 with 2 kids that eat a TON

ETA: It's important to fill up gas tanks PRIOR to a storm in case you need to evacuate last minute and you don't have to wait in line at gas station. Also you can use the car to charge cell phone/portable device batteries. In the case of harvey, gas delivery was suspended and gas prices rose drastically. It's on all the FEMA & NHS preparedness recommendations. Plus it's not like it will go to waste lol

Last edited by sittingonamtntop; 09-08-2018 at 10:50 AM..

Old 09-08-2018, 11:00 AM

22,700 posts, read 36,889,867 times
I bought some military grade glow sticks off Amazon a few years back. They work pretty well! I might buy some more. I tested one a few months ago when we lost power and it still worked.

I have some solar powered fans that I should probably get out and set up.

Definitely need cash and to gas up cars. People in NY did not gas up their cars before Sandy ("It's not coming here!") and were very unhappy for the next two weeks without power and no way to get anywhere. My in laws had to borrow some from their neighbor who had a supply for their generator.

Not that worried about water since we're not on a well.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:30 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,952,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post

Not sure why you would need paper plates unless you're on a well and worried about your water going out. No problem with water in the city during Fran and I'm sure none of these storms will be as bad as Fran.
Good to have plenty of extra water on hand...bottled or container for drinking, bathing of flushing. Even with city water it could be disrupted for a number of reasons. Don't take it for granted.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:12 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,074,810 times
Supposed to be heading to Kure Beach for a week next Sat 9/13.

I know that’s the risk this time of year and that forecasts can change...BUT, if it does make landfall around there, are we going to be pretty much toast? I mean, if they order evacuations next week and it does hit, I’m assuming it could be a week at earliest before locals are even allowed back right?

Old 09-08-2018, 01:53 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,299,164 times
Allan Huffman on Twitter is saying that if it hits the east coast it there's a possibility of it stalling. Obviously that would probably be worst case scenario:

https://twitter.com/RaleighWx/status...98380786413569
https://twitter.com/RaleighWx/status...99420432678912

Also of note:

https://twitter.com/splillo/status/1038492065242464260

Old 09-08-2018, 02:09 PM

6,398 posts, read 5,524,405 times
So long as it doesn't stall Harvey style.

Can you imagine 60 inches of rain at once? That's over 1 year's worth of rain in less than 36 hours. Insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina