Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 07:55 PM

211 posts, read 979,145 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I are looking to possibly move to NC or SC in three years (my son will graduate from HS). With this in mind, we want a safe and cost-effective city that isn't in the boonies, but yet in driving distance to civilization. We are now in a burb of Cleveland, so we have big and little city life. Can't take the winters anymore.

However, it is imperative that we have access to world-class healthcare. I have issues, and so does my 8 year-old daughter. Where do I even begin to look? Right now, that's probably the only good thing about Cleveland - - Outstanding healthcare.

We know people in Hickory, but it doesn't seem close to any good healthcare. I have several cousins in Charlotte - - - but my husband and I are worried it is becoming another Atlanta - - - too much growth. Asheville seems to have a lot of social issues. People on the NC blog have mentioned that the Raleigh-Durham area is boring (mostly biz). We prefer *not* to be too close to the beach.

Any bright ideas??? I'm at a loss. We are planning a road trip down to NC and SC this summer.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 08:06 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
I think you should stay near Raleigh. You have Duke and Unc Hospitals/Healthcare Systems. Can't beat those!!

Old 04-07-2008, 08:17 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveburg View Post
Hello Everyone,

My husband and I are looking to possibly move to NC or SC in three years (my son will graduate from HS). With this in mind, we want a safe and cost-effective city that isn't in the boonies, but yet in driving distance to civilization. We are now in a burb of Cleveland, so we have big and little city life. Can't take the winters anymore.

However, it is imperative that we have access to world-class healthcare. I have issues, and so does my 8 year-old daughter. Where do I even begin to look? Right now, that's probably the only good thing about Cleveland - - Outstanding healthcare.

We know people in Hickory, but it doesn't seem close to any good healthcare. I have several cousins in Charlotte - - - but my husband and I are worried it is becoming another Atlanta - - - too much growth. Asheville seems to have a lot of social issues. People on the NC blog have mentioned that the Raleigh-Durham area is boring (mostly biz). We prefer *not* to be too close to the beach.

Any bright ideas??? I'm at a loss. We are planning a road trip down to NC and SC this summer.

Thanks in advance for your help.
What health care specialty?

Cancer
Digestive Disorders
Ear, Nose & Throat
Endocrinology
Geriatrics
Gynecology
Heart
Kidney Disease
Neurology & Neurosurgery
Ophthalmology
Orthopedics
Pediatrics
Psychiatry
Rehabilitation
Respiratory Disorders
Rheumatology
Urology

Old 04-07-2008, 08:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
If you need it to be relative close to Hickory and good healthcare then choose cities between Hickory and Winston Salem like Stateville, or Clemmons.
In Winston you have top notch Brenners Children Hospital, Wake Forest Bowman Gray, and Forsyth as your options.
Raliegh triangle area you will have Duke Medical center and all their sub hospitals as well as Chapel Hill.

Blue Cross & Blue Sheild of NC and United Health Care are two popular insurance providers

The governor just issue a plan to revamp the health care of this state.
North Carolina Office of the Governor - Governor Easley's Press Releases (http://www.governor.state.nc.us/News_FullStory.asp - broken link)

Old 04-07-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
If you need it to be relative close to Hickory and good healthcare then choose cities between Hickory and Winston Salem like Stateville, or Clemmons.
In Winston you have top notch Brenners Children Hospital, Wake Forest Bowman Gray, and Forsyth as your options.
Raliegh triangle area you will have Duke Medical center and all their sub hospitals as well as Chapel Hill.

Blue Cross & Blue Sheild of NC and United Health Care are two popular insurance providers

The governor just issue a plan to revamp the health care of this state.
North Carolina Office of the Governor - Governor Easley's Press Releases (http://www.governor.state.nc.us/News_FullStory.asp - broken link)
Hi SunnyKayak,

Oh know . . . should I be worried about a revamp in the state's healthcare system? It always worries me when the gov't get's involved. Eeks.

Thanks for the advice. Actually, Clemmons did come across our list of places to visit.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
What health care specialty?

Cancer
Digestive Disorders
Ear, Nose & Throat
Endocrinology
Geriatrics
Gynecology
Heart
Kidney Disease
Neurology & Neurosurgery
Ophthalmology
Orthopedics
Pediatrics
Psychiatry
Rehabilitation
Respiratory Disorders
Rheumatology
Urology
Children's digestive / intestinal and adult gynecology / urology (advanced issues).

Old 04-07-2008, 08:44 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Default America's Best Hospitals

Digestive Disorders
#7 Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.

Pediatrics
#19 Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.

Gynecology
#4 Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.
#24 University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill, N.C.

Urology
#9 Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.
#40 Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, N.C.
#43 University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill, N.C.

U.S. News & World Report - 2007 Rankings

Old 04-07-2008, 08:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveburg View Post
Hi SunnyKayak,

Oh know . . . should I be worried about a revamp in the state's healthcare system? It always worries me when the gov't get's involved. Eeks.

Thanks for the advice. Actually, Clemmons did come across our list of places to visit.
That link did not copy over well but it the one dated April 3rd.
The plan on the fore front looks good but I am just scared of how higher state taxes will go to cover it.

(I copied this from the goverment website listed above and being a goverment site it does not appear to be copyrighted if so credit needs to go to the governor for this document)

Quote:
Raleigh - Gov. Mike Easley today announced a plan to fundamentally restructure the delivery of health care in North Carolina by standardizing the level of care and insurance coverage for the five most chronic conditions. This unique plan will do more than any other in the nation to improve citizens’ health, help doctors deliver the quality care they strive for and save hundreds of millions of dollars in medical costs.
''This is going to be a revolutionary approach to the delivery of health care in North Carolina,'' Easley said. ''We have worked with the top medical experts across the state, health insurers and physicians to design a health care delivery system that fits the 21st century needs but also takes advantage of 21st century technology.''
For more than a year, the state’s major health insurance providers, physicians and hospitals have been meeting under Easley’s leadership to design a single set of ''best practice guidelines'' to more effectively treat five of the most widespread and costly chronic medical conditions: diabetes; asthma; hypertension; congestive heart failure; and heart attack. Chronic diseases account for 80 percent of health care spending.
''Best-practice guidelines'' for care will be implemented of each of these diseases. These guidelines have been developed by experts in the state and the nation and agreed on by the state’s medical care providers and insurance companies. The guidelines will be the same, no matter the health coverage for the patient, to ensure consistently high quality of care for all North Carolinians
North Carolina’s Community Care networks of physicians and the Area Health Education Centers’ physician training centers will be mobilized to provide the latest and most effective systems to doctors across the state, to assist them in delivering “best practice” care. Every primary care physician in North Carolina will be invited to participate in this program.
Medical professionals will receive tools for patient support, so patients can play a larger role in maintaining and improving their own health. Doctors will also receive specialized computer software that tracks individual patients, their conditions, medications, appointments and various test results.
The plan will develop and expand the availability of ''care coordinators,'' individuals trained in the treatment of chronic diseases who will follow patients’ progress, including help in taking appropriate medications, scheduling follow-up appointments, understanding the effect of diet and exercise and generally be available to answer patients’ questions.
Finally, a program has been developed to monitor results, so that the goal of improved health and reduced cost can be achieved throughout the state.'
'By putting modern systems in place, doctors will be better able to treat chronic diseases including: diabetes, asthma, and common heart problems,'' Easley said. ''With more effective treatment, many patients will be able to avoid more serious and expensive medical problems.''
Medical experts praise the program. ''This program has the potential to transform the delivery of health care in North Carolina,'' said Chuck Willson, past president of the N.C. Medical Society. ''This is the first time in America that doctors, insurance companies, hospitals and others have come together to implement a system to truly improve medical care.'Once again, North Carolina is a national leader,'' said Bill Roper, a physician and CEO of the UNC Health Care System. ''In 2007, our Community Care system was honored as the finest health care innovation in America. This program takes us even farther down the road toward the best health care possible.
Having an evidence-based standard of care will mean every patient in North Carolina has the same opportunity for quality health care,'' said Bob Greczyn, president of Blue Cross Blue Shield. ''It also is important for citizens to take a more active role in their own health care, through increased physical activity that will lead to greater productivity at work and healthier lives.
All of North Carolina’s major health insurance companies, led by Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina and the State Employees Health Plan, have agreed to support the program. As a result, patients across the state, regardless of who pays their doctors’ bill, can receive the same “best practice” care. Also joining the governor in this initiative are: the N.C. Medical Society representing physicians across the state; the N.C. Hospital Association representing hospitals; the N.C. Area Health Education Centers; Community Care of N.C.; the N.C. Health and Wellness Trust Fund; the N.C. Foundation for Advanced Health Programs; the Institute for Emerging Issues; the National Governors Association; the Center for Health Care Strategies; and the N.C. Institute of Medicine.
By spending more time with patients, identifying medical problems before they get worse and treating these problems effectively, we will substantially reduce the cost of health care by keeping patients out of the emergency room and avoiding hospital stays,'' Easley said. ''It will also result in very substantial health care cost savings, which can be used to provide more coverage for more citizens.
National studies have found that most patients receive half the health care services recommended for their conditions. By getting every doctor, no matter where they are, to make sure every patient receives the health care services they need, they can help patients stay more informed, know what they must do to stay healthy and avoid millions in health care costs as well as reduce lost workdays that cut productivity.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Digestive Disorders
#7 Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.

Pediatrics
#19 Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.

Gynecology
#4 Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.
#24 University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill, N.C.

Urology
#9 Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.
#40 Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, N.C.
#43 University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill, N.C.

U.S. News & World Report - 2007 Rankings
Thank you mm34b! With the above area in mind, what do you know about Wake Forest?

Old 04-07-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
That link did not copy over well but it the one dated April 3rd.
The plan on the fore front looks good but I am just scared of how higher state taxes will go to cover it.

(I copied this from the goverment website listed above and being a goverment site it does not appear to be copyrighted if so credit needs to go to the governor for this document)
Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks a million for copying that. I'm very appreciative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina