Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking employment information in North Carolina, hiring and interviewing process different in North Carolina than New York, hiring locals versus transplants

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 07:53 PM

14 posts, read 43,090 times

Advertisements

I have a question for anyone with information on the hiring practice of local Department of Social Service offices. Is prefernce given to local residents? And in general, will employers in NC call you back if they are not interested. Interviewing has been different in NC vs NY. I am not used to answering a set of questions from a list. The last time I just didn't know a text book answer but does that disqualify me? In NY it has always been more like a conversation. I am not complaining just noting an observation which I am trying to adapt to. I just do my best, but I am starting to be concerned. It's been 6 months since I started looking, 4 interviews for 6 different positions, and nothing. I know I am able and willing to learn a new way of doing things (and better if compared to the system I once worked in), but I am not sure I will easily be given the chance. But hey, I'll keep trying. Just wondering about that preference and I'm open to any tips as well. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 07:59 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lehmanlion View Post
I have a question for anyone with information on the hiring practice of local Department of Social Service offices. Is prefernce given to local residents? And in general, will employers in NC call you back if they are not interested. Interviewing has been different in NC vs NY. I am not used to answering a set of questions from a list. The last time I just didn't know a text book answer but does that disqualify me? In NY it has always been more like a conversation. I am not complaining just noting an observation which I am trying to adapt to. I just do my best, but I am starting to be concerned. It's been 6 months since I started looking, 4 interviews for 6 different positions, and nothing. I know I am able and willing to learn a new way of doing things (and better if compared to the system I once worked in), but I am not sure I will easily be given the chance. But hey, I'll keep trying. Just wondering about that preference and I'm open to any tips as well. Thanks.
Have you asked any of the people who interviewed you for feedback? Maybe they are seeing something you aren't aware of that you could correct or do differently? Are you already here in NC? Have you considered looking for jobs in other Social Services offices in either Union or Cabarrus counties?

Old 12-12-2006, 08:15 PM

I am not in NC yet because my family and I will be renting and so we need a source of income to make the move in terms of securing housing. I have not asked for feedback but I am wondering, when would I do that? Usually it is given at the end of the interview and I must admit I didn't think to ask, I don't think I noticed I hadn't received any until you brought it up. I have tried county and state jobs but really prefer county. I did not try Union, what's like there? I spent time in Charlotte but it was a bit fast paced, more than what we were looking for.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:27 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
I am not in NC yet because my family and I will be renting and so we need a source of income to make the move in terms of securing housing. I have not asked for feedback but I am wondering, when would I do that? Usually it is given at the end of the interview and I must admit I didn't think to ask, I don't think I noticed I hadn't received any until you brought it up. I have tried county and state jobs but really prefer county. I did not try Union, what's like there? I spent time in Charlotte but it was a bit fast paced, more than what we were looking for.
Well, there's your problem I'm afraid...you aren't local yet. There are so many people here that employers usually have a pool of people to chose from when they interview people. It's just less complicated to select a local candidate. Since you found Charlotte a bit fast paced I would strongly suggest you look at the two counties I mentioned, Union and Cabarrus. The two main cities to check out would be Concord and Monroe. The jobs would be better, as in less stressful than working in the huge Mecklenburg county system. Plus, the cost of living would be more affordable. Rents in Charlotte can be really expensive. Best of luck to you

Old 12-13-2006, 09:14 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,346,393 times
Quote:
There are 99 other counties in NC besides Mecklenburg, but why NC as opposed to the 49 other states? When interviewing candidates for a job, particularly in the government sector, interviewers "read" from a specific list of questions so that each candidate is asked the same thing and no one can come back and say they were interviewed differently and / or asked different questions than someone else. Most DSS jobs prefer candidates with Master's degrees and / or equivalent experience and graduate work in progress. Also, and very important, sending a thank you note to the interviewer is polite. I've been doing that for years and I instruct my students to do likewise. good luck.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:49 AM

34 posts, read 159,290 times
Hi From what I have been reading on the forum it would be best to put a local address and phone number on your resume when you apply for jobs in another state. My girlfriend did this when she moved from NJ to Atlanta Ga she used her sister - in law address and phone number on her resume. Along with her NJ cell phone number. (these numbers go everywhere now) That is how she was able to get a job in Atl. So if you have a family member or have a friend in the area of where you'll be moving to........ I live in NJ but plan to move to Greensboro NC sometime in 2007 and this is what I will be doing also, using a local address/phone number on my resume. I have friends and family in the greensboro and high point area.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:10 AM

108 posts, read 374,489 times
Let me tell you something Lion, we are still in FL and may move to NC with no jobs and I will join a temp agency and get office work. My husband has found on some job listings, 'NC residents only need apply'. So it is extra tough for us out-of-towners.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:39 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,916 times
Legal NC residency occurs 90 days after establishing domicile. One thing to keep in mind is that county and state jobs hire from within first, that is, if you want a social services position, get on as a group home counselor or groundskeeper at a community college and apply when a social services position comes open. Not to say that you can't hire in off the street, but a qualified employee will always fill in an opening before an off the street hire.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:49 PM

Question thanks for the info

Thanks for the information but I have a question. If my resume and phone number all say NY and I do have a masers degree and experience, why would they even call me down for an interview if they know they have a pool of local people that fit the job. I also feel like people lead you on and then the answer is no, why not be honest? And would it be polite to ask why I wasn't chosen? I thought that might be frowned upon. I have to admit I haven't always sent a thank card but I am respectful and thankful during the interview. I appreciate the tips and I will continue to try. One more question, generally speaking, will employers let applicants know they were not hired, a letter, a phone call? Thanks.

Old 12-14-2006, 05:44 PM

586 posts, read 1,547,665 times
Try Cumberland County DSS as they hire from out of state due to the number of military in the area who bring spouses looking for jobs. Besides, they usually have alot of vacancies last time I checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina