Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 03:55 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
I don't think going 28-23 at Temple is much of a qualification to be an NFL coach.
Tepper is from Pennsylvania. Temple has had horrendous sports teams for a very long time. It doesn't matter if it makes sense to anyone other than Tepper. It's his money. Jeffrey Lurie has had some coaches that have made no sense to anyone, at all. It's the owner's prerogative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2020, 03:57 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Tepper is from Pennsylvania. Temple has had horrendous sports teams for a very long time. It doesn't matter if it makes sense to anyone other than Tepper. It's his money. Jeffrey Lurie has had some coaches that have made no sense to anyone, at all. It's the owner's prerogative.
Of course the owner gets to hire who he wants. I never said otherwise.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:23 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,994 times
Quote:
I don't think going 28-23 at Temple is much of a qualification to be an NFL coach.
Simply looking at the overall record doesn't seem very impressive. Thankfully Tepper, his team, and the other teams that wanted him chose not to do that. Instead they looked at his very qualified history in both the NFL and college football. Most notably completely turning around Baylor and that absolutely garbage Temple program.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Simply looking at the overall record doesn't seem very impressive. Thankfully Tepper, his team, and the other teams that wanted him chose not to do that. Instead they looked at his very qualified history in both the NFL and college football. Most notably completely turning around Baylor and that absolutely garbage Temple program.
Yeah, that's been Temple's specialty for decades - absolutely horrendous sports teams.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Of course the owner gets to hire who he wants. I never said otherwise.
And I didn't say that you did.

Temple has an urban campus in what, until recently, was one of the worst parts of Philadelphia. It was not a place that players would go out and practice, if they valued their lives and didn't tend to attract many students who were particularly gifted in sports. It was a big deal if they won the occasional game. I wouldn't expect you to know that, but Tepper most likely was aware of it.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Umm, 1 year as an assistant in the NFL is "very qualified"? We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I'd say his NFL experience is extremely thin. And the ranks of successful college coaches who failed in the NFL is huge, including many with far greater credentials than Ruhle. This is far from a slam dunk hire. I hope it works out.

Old 01-08-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
And I didn't say that you did.

Temple has an urban campus in what, until recently, was one of the worst parts of Philadelphia. It was not a place that players would go out and practice, if they valued their lives and didn't tend to attract many students who were particularly gifted in sports. It was a big deal if they won the occasional game. I wouldn't expect you to know that, but Tepper most likely was aware of it.
I know all about Temple's lack of success on the gridiron. Coaching Temple to 2 winning seasons is hardly a determinant of success in the NFL. Many far more successful college coaches have flamed out in the NFL.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:05 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,994 times
Quote:
Umm, 1 year as an assistant in the NFL is "very qualified". We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I'd say his NFL experience is extremely thin. The ranks of successful college coaches who failed in the NFL is huge, including many with far greater credentials than Ruhle. This is far from a slam dunk hire. I hope it works out.
That's why you shouldn't Bold only a part of my sentence and ignore the key word in that sentence. Both. His combined experience in the NFL (yes minimal) and his awesome track record for turning around dumbster fires in college, made him not only qualified but on the hotlist for pretty much any team thinking about going with a new coach recently. Jets, Browns, Giants, and even Jerry Jones. Idk that its necessarily a slam dunk either but it was a solid hire as far as most consider it. But of course yeah we'll have see how it works out. He could be absolutely awful....but at least we can all be informed that there was more context around him and his qualifications besides his misleading overall record at Temple.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I know all about Temple's lack of success on the gridiron. Coaching Temple to 2 winning seasons is hardly a determinant of success in the NFL. Many far more successful college coaches have flamed out in the NFL.
Look, I would have kept Rivera, and ordered a major shift of players, and waited 2 years before making up my mind on Rivera. I'm not the team owner. What I think doesn't count.

After living in the Philadelphia market for over 40 years and never remembering Temple having decent teams in any sports, I do think that it meant something to Tepper, and that includes knowing that Pittsburgh is 6 hours by car from Philadelphia.

I've been on the Temple campus. Thankfully, that area is turning around. If you have ability in a sport, you ain't going there. I knew some kids who considered Temple. All it took was for their parents to see the neighborhood, and that was the end of it, because those kids had offers elsewhere.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
That's why you shouldn't Bold only a part of my sentence and ignore the key word in that sentence. Both. His combined experience in the NFL (yes minimal) and his awesome track record for turning around dumbster fires in college...
If his NFL experience is minimal (and it most assuredly is), then it doesn't add anything appreciable to his qualifications and isn't worth mentioning. Doing so only weakens your argument.

Quote:
He could be absolutely awful....but at least we can all be informed that there was more context around him and his qualifications besides his misleading overall record at Temple.
Temple was only brought into this conversation by another poster who said (and the following is the entirety of their post):

"This makes some sense, based on his success at Temple."

As if his record at Temple is not only a meaningful reason to hire him as an NFL coach, but the only reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina