Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 08:52 AM

9 posts, read 115,383 times

Advertisements

hey Nate,,,,, What gets dangerous after dark? Ball games or something? You are talking IN Chapel Hill, right?

Also, from my research, I thought the schools seemed pretty good.....Cary schools definitely seemed better, but too "White".....We like a nice MIX of people and cultures, if at all possible....Don't want to be the majority, but don't necessarily want to be in the minority either....(We are white, for the record....just used to living in a melting pot in San Jose, and thrive on diversity!)

Is it true your kids get redistricted like every year too? I have heard that mentioned....just curious how bad it is!

I'mInformed: I guess it is good we are checking things out in early June....This way we can get an idea of how truly awful the humidity can be, I survived Orlando humidity for five years....I think I can take anything!

MM34B Thanks for the cool map! And info on other counties....I think we would 'fit in" best in Orange County....so far anyway.

And lastly to Carolina Girl: You are preaching to the choir! Don't even get me started!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2006, 10:11 AM

110 posts, read 394,864 times
This isnt really directed toward anyone, but I think its funny when people talk about "diversity" and want to live near all different kinds of people. I for one am not fooled. If you really want to, then move out of your 500k house and into a lower income neighborhood. Then you can live out the true meaning of diversity, you will be beside people of all different races and cultures, and those who cannot afford much better. Then with all the extra money you have, you can use it to help out the community.

If you dont want to do that, then you will stay living beside the SAME kind of people you have your whole life. Moving to NC isnt going to be any different.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 40,946 times
It's unfortunate, but every after the Chapel Hill festival 'Apple Chill,' a very family friendly event, there's an unofficial event called 'After Chill.' Some of it is just people gathering to show off motorcycles and such, but it has a nasty reputation for being gang-dominated. At least every other year there is a report of serious violence--this year, 3 people were shot (suspected gang members, I believe). Most people don't feel safe once early evening sets in after this festival. If you move here, you'll want to have your family fun and get home by 3 or 4pm. Check out the school newspaper at www.dailytarheel.com if you want more info.

That's the major event that brings out the worst in Chapel Hill. However, other big events can occasionally bring out a rowdy crowd late in the night. Sometimes, even though it doesn't get violent, it gets too hectic for the average person. For example, thousands of people crowd Franklin Street after a huge basketball win (such as the championship last year) or during Halloween. Although this can be a lot of fun, I wouldn't recommend you take your kids there--but many natives do so anyway.

As for schools, I can't say I've researched the schools, but I'm pretty sure you won't be impressed. They are probably above average for the state, and your kids won't get stupider by attending them, but I doubt you'll find top-tier education, either. As far as redistricting--yes, you'll likely experience it if you'r e here for a while. There's a lot of growth going on, and as new schools get built, kids have to get redistricted. I know when I was in public schools (in Raleigh and Wake Forest), I was redistricted once when a new school was built. 'Every year' is definitely an exaggeration, though. It's a frustrating experience. They try to make as few exceptions as possible, also, and they hunt for people who try to skirt the rules.

One last thing, you should be aware of is the number of homeless people in Chapel Hill. Many people are surprised to see homeless people just out on the streets. This is typically on Franklin Street (right next to campus), and they aren't generally violent or anything, but they do have a presence.

I hope this helped! You should definitely check out www.dailytarheel.com to get a better feel for the campus area and local politics and search for 'Apple Chill' and 'After Chill' for more info on the city's most dangerous night of the year.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:38 AM

543 posts, read 1,825,409 times
Our town here in central mass is 99.6% white, .2% AA and .2% other. So going to a town that is 80% white and 20% other offers some degree of diversity for us without going to the extreme of thrusting ourselves into poverty.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:09 AM

16 posts, read 72,350 times
Pinkpoodle,.. CA is the perfect state for you! tons of diversity! Why do you think your taxes got so high inthe first place? Supporting all the diversity! I am sure you can find a less expensive place to live in CA, you will surely be nearer all this wonderful diversity that you seem to cherish so much.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:39 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctarheel
This isnt really directed toward anyone, but I think its funny when people talk about "diversity" and want to live near all different kinds of people. I for one am not fooled. If you really want to, then move out of your 500k house and into a lower income neighborhood. Then you can live out the true meaning of diversity, you will be beside people of all different races and cultures, and those who cannot afford much better. Then with all the extra money you have, you can use it to help out the community.

If you dont want to do that, then you will stay living beside the SAME kind of people you have your whole life. Moving to NC isnt going to be any different.
Diversity is a really ambiguous term since it can mean just about anything, but I think most Americans think of diversity as racial diversity more than any other aspect of the term?

A racially diverse city would be one in which no single racial group would be over or under represented based on the makeup of America as a whole. It would truly be an accurate reflection of the racial diversity of America. Does any city in North Carolina qualify?

Last edited by mm34b; 05-09-2006 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-09-2006, 02:10 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,272,002 times
I believe Greensboro is pretty racially diverse. If you go to this site //www.city-data.com/city/Greens...-Carolina.html and scroll down a bit, you will see the percentages. Click on the links at the top for information on other NC cities.

Also, as far as being liberal, Guilford County went to Kerry in the last election.

Old 05-09-2006, 03:56 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki
I believe Greensboro is pretty racially diverse. If you go to this site //www.city-data.com/city/Greens...-Carolina.html and scroll down a bit, you will see the percentages. Click on the links at the top for information on other NC cities.

Also, as far as being liberal, Guilford County went to Kerry in the last election.
Right, Guilford County was 50% Kerry and 49% Bush but you're off on Greensboro diversity. The Black population is 300% above the national average.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:40 PM

9 posts, read 115,383 times
Where we live now IS diverse, no question about it. 66% white, 20% Asian, 25% hispanic, and the rest is another mix of race. Without this mix, half the businesses in CA would fail or go bankrupt, because the minorities help keep profits coming in for the business owners....by working for wages most cannot afford to work for....and forgoing any benefits like health insurance.

And, Ellie Mae....I beg to differ....CA is not the PERFECT place for ANYONE unless you are RICH RICH RICH and self-centered.... It is expensive, dirty, smoggy, crowded, dangerous, materialistic, flashy, gang ridden in alot of parts, etc etc etc.....It is in a truly SAD state.

It is way TOO expensive for middle class working Americans like my husband and Myself.....He is in construction and I am with the airlines....two very troubled industries. We are a hard working, blue-collar family who just want a better life for our kids.....in the future.

For the record, we live backed up to a freeway wall and the San Jose Intl Airport...those planes are loud and who knows what we are breathing. But it was the only way we could buy our over-priced 1000 square foot home in a low income neighborhood. And it turns out, we can't even afford this dump anymore. Every month when the mortgage is due, we barely make it....and have used up any savings there once was. With the birth of our first baby, our finances changed drastically, as I am sure they do for anyone starting a family.

We are down to nothing now. We have stopped any ROTH IRA, 401 K, college funds, emergency funds, etc. If my car breaks down, I would be SOL. That is not exactly heaven. Even though life is not perfect, and I know there are folks who have it WAY worse, we get by somehow. But I don't want to spend the rest of our lives "Just getting by"......and barely, at that!

I certainly don't want to live in POVERTY because I said I want to be around a mixture of races and cultures. To indicate such a thing is over the top.

I am truly sorry if I offended anyone on this thread by indicating a desire to have my family surrounded by all colors and cultures, etc. Such opportunities are part of a good education.

Racial and cultural diversity is GREAT for many reasons, in my opinion: learning about other cultures first hand, , teaching values that all people are created equal, and getting to choose from ANY ethnic cuisine you want any night of the week!

Anyhow, not sure where i am going with this, just defending what diversity means to me......You are right, I would never truly know diversity until I live in poverty.....and I did, growing up. Talk about destitution! I hope to be able to provide better for my family now.

Isn't that what we all want? A safe and happy place to raise our children.......

North Carolina sounds AMAZING and I am so excited to come visit!

......Beautiful, (Safe for the most part), Affordable, Nice Weather, Friendly People, and great job opportunities.

SO again, accept my apologies if the whole "diversity" thing may have offended.That was certainly not my intent.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:47 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,909 times
Default Guilford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki

Misleading statistics -- the city of Greensboro has a relatively high black population ... but a lot of the black population lives on the east and south side of town. Also, many parts of High Point have an extremely high black population.

Go to western, northern, and NW Guilford County and you won't see too many black residents; go to central High Point, and central/east/south Greensboro and you won't see ANY white people.

By the way, don't believe all this "diversity" stuff that comes out of Chapel Hill. In reality it is a "limousine liberal" town - they talk a big game, but don't walk it. Why do you think that they didn't merge with Orange County schools several years ago when many of the city and county school systems in NC merged? Except for the homeless guys on the street mumbling to themselves and a few small housing projects in the town, don't expect to live among many non-whites (except for the the occasional Asian).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina