Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 10:44 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1014
Yankees? 26 world championships,enough said
Alright...a Yankee fan!!!!! YEAH!!!!!

BxRosie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2006, 10:57 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,701 times
[quote=Weis02]

I prefer dress socks with sneakers (those old italians will know what I mean)

ROTFLOL!!!! I just got a mental image of my beloved uncle, who's from the other side (Italy born) & lives in NJ!!! Black socks, sandals (or sneakers), with the Bermuda shorts, belt, undershirt & short-sleveed button-down shirt. Sitting there, in the backyard, sipping black coffee with a biscotti.

THANKS for the chuckle & pleasant memories!!

BxRosie

Old 08-10-2006, 06:08 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,909 times
Default hostility

I know I'm repeating myself, but I still don't see the hostilities that a few of you are talking about. You can't take what a few people say on an anonymous message board and extrapolate that into the views of a community in general. I have never heard a southerner talk about northerners and their cars. I may have heard jokes about the Mort Seinfeld appearance of some tourists and retirees in Florida, but I don't hear it in NC.

I'm not naive - there are certainly some people who don't care for northerners, just as there are some northerners who don't care for southerners - but by and large I don't see the yankee-bashing that some of you are suggesting. Really, I don't.

Unless you're going into the live-bait or the mobile-home sales business, I doubt that you'll run into people who dislike you simply because you're from "up north".

Old 08-10-2006, 07:45 AM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
Quote:
.I don't want to see Walmarts, Home Depots, Lowe's etc. where I live now in LI, and I happen to live in a town where there aren't any, in fact, the town we live in doesn't even let fast food restaurants here, and I certainly don't want to see it all built up in the small town we are moving to in NC either. That's one of the charms. So although there are many "Northerner's" who obviously want changes like that, there are many who don't. And I know that the obvious response will be that "those are the ones we're talking about", but just how you decifer one from the other. It's really not fair to generalize.
Sorry, but don't kid yourself. One of the towns I used to live in, in NC, and my Mom still lives in is a good example. Basically there aren't any Northerners there. Small county with almost 0 growth. Well, the local government bent over backward until they got a Walmart and now a Lowe's. Of course, downtown is now a ghost town. Government buildings, lawyers offices and Arts council stuff and a pawn shop. That's about it. The inevitable power of saving a nickle on a shirt will prevail.

Old 08-10-2006, 08:41 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,909 times
Default Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010
Sorry, but don't kid yourself. One of the towns I used to live in, in NC, and my Mom still lives in is a good example. Basically there aren't any Northerners there. Small county with almost 0 growth. Well, the local government bent over backward until they got a Walmart and now a Lowe's. Of course, downtown is now a ghost town. Government buildings, lawyers offices and Arts council stuff and a pawn shop. That's about it. The inevitable power of saving a nickle on a shirt will prevail.
If people didn't want Wal-Mart, Lowe's, etc they would go out of business. People vote with their dollars, and the votes often go towards the favor of businesses with lower prices when you're talking about durable goods.

If the guy who has been in the hardware business for 100 years had better prices and more selection, I would go to him over the big boxes. But I'm not going to pay him more money for a smaller selection of goods just to keep him in business.

The same doesn't hold true with what I would call "unique" goods. I eat at locally-owned restaurants much more than I do the chain places because the quality of food, the atmosphere, etc. appeals to me. My dollars have voted, and so have others' since those local places have stayed in business.

I would rather pay Home Depot $15 for an extension cord than pay Pop's Store $20 for the same item (assuming that it is even in stock).

Old 08-10-2006, 09:01 AM

23 posts, read 62,194 times
Default wal-mart and such

People do vote with their dollars. But when you have companies like wal-mart and such obliterating the mom & pop businesses across the United States you are fueling the corporate landscape. Corporate is the only game in town. America was built on Mom & Pop stores that made Main Street a "Meeting Place" for good conversation and comraderie. Its the brainwashing of the american economy into thinking they need stores like these. People can only say "I have to shop at wal-mart--theres nothing left.!!!" I would'nt blame natives for rebuking the corporate climate that comes with "growth". Without MOM & POP Main Streets, this country would never have been great in the first place. Video kills the radio star every time.

Old 08-10-2006, 09:10 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,564 times
It is getting worse with all the big company mergers, competition is getting lost and while places like Wal-mart are suppose to be cheaper now, if wal-mart moves in and other businesses close as a result, they will increase costs as there will be no comp...banks are merging left and right...America as a whole is undergoing a lot now, the middle situation, etc ... it is changing and not all is for the best ... we are starting to head toward the times when prices were high due to no comp, only the very wealthy kids went to college, etc.

we have regulatory bodies that were to help the consumer meanig if a utlitiy wanted to raise rates, perm has to be given, rarely when asked are they told no (so why even have it) and now companies are finding inventinve ways around req permission. for ex here in li with elec, they call it a surcharge, they didn't raise rates, found a different way to get money without asking and despite all the alleged litigation by our lovely government against them, it hasn't changed and won't.

Each state talks about helping cap gas taxes to help the consumer, again all talk - too many corp and govt officials get more $$ why hurt the pot that's helping you (there is a different expression but I am trying to be tasteful)

more and more companies are being de-regulated - which in turn will effect all of us -

Old 08-10-2006, 09:23 AM

152 posts, read 476,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
It is getting worse with all the big company mergers, competition is getting lost and while places like Wal-mart are suppose to be cheaper now, if wal-mart moves in and other businesses close as a result, they will increase costs as there will be no comp...banks are merging left and right...America as a whole is undergoing a lot now, the middle situation, etc ... it is changing and not all is for the best ... we are starting to head toward the times when prices were high due to no comp, only the very wealthy kids went to college, etc.

we have regulatory bodies that were to help the consumer meanig if a utlitiy wanted to raise rates, perm has to be given, rarely when asked are they told no (so why even have it) and now companies are finding inventinve ways around req permission. for ex here in li with elec, they call it a surcharge, they didn't raise rates, found a different way to get money without asking and despite all the alleged litigation by our lovely government against them, it hasn't changed and won't.

Each state talks about helping cap gas taxes to help the consumer, again all talk - too many corp and govt officials get more $$ why hurt the pot that's helping you (there is a different expression but I am trying to be tasteful)

more and more companies are being de-regulated - which in turn will effect all of us -
Good points. Did you hear they were trying to put a Home Depot on Sunrise Hgwy where the LIPA bldg is? The community has stopped it so far. We will see who wins in the future.
I am guilty of shopping at these big chains too. But when we need something small, we shop at the local hardware and pharmacy. We used to own a small business years ago, so we know how it feels, but JAS was right. Why are people going to pay more of their hard earned $$ to help us stay in business?

Old 08-10-2006, 09:59 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Personally, I find that most of the transplants that come down here are happy to be here and get used to being nice and friendly instead of the NY mentality of being rude and abrubt. Having said that...

Cary = Can't Afford Raleigh Yet

Cary = Corraled Area Relocated Yankees

And...in the phone book...Cary is listed at CRY

Vicki

Old 08-10-2006, 10:07 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
Quote:
Good points. Did you hear they were trying to put a Home Depot on Sunrise Hgwy where the LIPA bldg is? The community has stopped it so far. We will see who wins in the future.
I am guilty of shopping at these big chains too. But when we need something small, we shop at the local hardware and pharmacy. We used to own a small business years ago, so we know how it feels, but JAS was right. Why are people going to pay more of their hard earned $$ to help us stay in business?
We are all guilty, we love the mom & pops but cannot justify over-spending.

We want them to be there but rarely go in!
The problem is that the chains hire a ton of people to begin with, and you get it all- great prices & knowledgeable staff. After a few months the staff is cut & you get a few surly kids. Where do the good workers go? I don't know. Anyway, in the meantime,most of the mom & pops close & then we have no choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina