Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 11:27 AM

425 posts, read 1,257,084 times

Advertisements

Driving from Austin, TX to Raleigh in a couple of weeks. Do I need to know anything special about crossing the state line, i.e., can I take a live plant; can we have fruit, and do I need some kind of health certificate for my cat? I think I read that somewhere, but can't seem to locate where at this point. Thanks for any advice anyone might have.

Can you tell that I have always lived in boarder states, (AZ and TX), where you might be inspected prior to crossing state lines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 11:36 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
You have been inspected when crossign state lines? Is that a joke . I have never heard of such a thing. I understand inspections when crossing borders from other countries but state lines? That is just hard to believe. I have driven to Texas before and never saw such a thing. Don't know how that could even happen.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:10 PM

125 posts, read 530,122 times
ive been all up and down the east coast, and midwest, and NEVER seen any kind of inspection whatsoever between states. Canada, and mexico yes, but you should never see it between states.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:02 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolligrump View Post
Driving from Austin, TX to Raleigh in a couple of weeks. Do I need to know anything special about crossing the state line, i.e., can I take a live plant; can we have fruit, and do I need some kind of health certificate for my cat? I think I read that somewhere, but can't seem to locate where at this point. Thanks for any advice anyone might have.

Can you tell that I have always lived in boarder states, (AZ and TX), where you might be inspected prior to crossing state lines?
There are inspections between states in this country???? OH MY! I never knew that. (I've mostly travelled in the Eastern half, Canada and Europe, never out West.)

No, you don't need any of that to come into NC.

The only concern would be in you are transporting firearms. Some states do have different laws that is you get pulled over you want to be in compliance with....but the rest of us don't deal with state to state checkpoints.

Wow....I can only imagine the howl that would set off.....lol....several folks at work in in VA and work in NC. I can only imagine how p'od they'd be having to have an inspection everytime they crossed the border!

Old 12-31-2006, 01:25 PM

425 posts, read 1,257,084 times
What a relief, and I really didn't think that there would be a problem, although I did read somewhere about the Health Certificate for any animals - I guess I won't worry about it. The boarders from CA to AZ, don't allow fruit; the boarder from AZ to TX, sometimes they can flag cars and while checking for illegals, will ask about plants coming into TX from either AZ or CA. Granted usually these stops are only for truckers ... Thanks again for the insight - didn't mean to worry anyone! Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2006, 03:28 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,989 times
Default Oh yeah it happens!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
You have been inspected when crossign state lines? Is that a joke . I have never heard of such a thing. I understand inspections when crossing borders from other countries but state lines? That is just hard to believe. I have driven to Texas before and never saw such a thing. Don't know how that could even happen.
I live in Murrieta, CA about 1 hour North of the Mexican boarder. We have a check point on the highway going north right by Murrieta, to check for Illegal aliens.
Coming home from the Colorado River in Arizonia, we have to be stopped to be inspected for fruits and what nots because It is very close to the Mexican boarder.
Texas is the same way. Border towns have that to deal with.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:14 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prius109 View Post
but you should never see it between states.
In Northern California there is a check point. You can't carry fruit or maybe certain fruits across the state line. (They are trying to limit the number of bugs that may infect their crops). However, the Northern Cali check points are not always manned.... just a big sign. I think they are using their dollars on the So. Cali ck points which have a dual purpose.

The cat thing is a good question though. I doubt there is a check point coming into NC. But there might be some sort of obscure pet law. Maybe contact a Raleigh Vet.

Good luck on your trip to NC. Safe Travels!

Old 12-31-2006, 05:30 PM

312 posts, read 1,904,892 times
There are two that I know of: Mexico and Canada. Mexico's inspection is very strict and Canada isn't too bad. As for the USA, there aren't any inspection UNLESS you drive a tractor trailer/big commericial truck.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:36 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprincess View Post
There are two that I know of: Mexico and Canada. Mexico's inspection is very strict and Canada isn't too bad. As for the USA, there aren't any inspection UNLESS you drive a tractor trailer/big commericial truck.
Haven't been through Canada lately? It's a PIA these day....at least at the bridge going to Windsor.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:54 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times
Before we moved here from NY I asked the vet for a health certificate for our dog, having read up on the regulations & all that.
He chucked but gave it to me.
Seems people travelling by plane must have them but not those travelling by car, or perhaps there is just no enforcement when you relocate by car (thank goodness!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: