Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:30 PM

553 posts, read 2,332,492 times

Advertisements

What is up with all of the litter along the roads and highways ? I know all cities have litter problems but WOW! As soon as winter hit and the grass died down it looks like a big trash truck rolled over on it's side. I see it all over 40 and along many roads in Holly Springs, Cary and Apex. Since I am a newby, here are my 2 questions:
1) Does the state or city do a pretty good job of cleaning this up or do they wait for the grass to grow tall and hide it?
2) Do they have adopt a highway programs here in Raleigh?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 07:01 AM

325 posts, read 1,408,573 times
The state doesn't have the manpower to keep up with all the litterbugs in NC. There are adopt-a-highway programs in NC, and I see those folks picking up garbage more often than the state. I hate to see the state roadsides trashed because people are too lazy to use a trash can, or too lazy to properly secure the cargo in their truck bed. Then to see an older couple picking up trash on the side of the road they have adopted; I know that chose to do it, but the folks littering could save a lot of work and time for these volunteers.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:13 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuterdu View Post
What is up with all of the litter along the roads and highways ? I know all cities have litter problems but WOW! As soon as winter hit and the grass died down it looks like a big trash truck rolled over on it's side. I see it all over 40 and along many roads in Holly Springs, Cary and Apex. Since I am a newby, here are my 2 questions:
1) Does the state or city do a pretty good job of cleaning this up or do they wait for the grass to grow tall and hide it?
2) Do they have adopt a highway programs here in Raleigh?
Thanks!
It is really discouraging here in Charlotte too. I think it is an unfortunate consequence of the explosive growth we have had. Until the last two years Charlotte was never trashed up like it is now. When we went away for a week or two and came home it always just stuck out how clean this city was compared to places we had just been. Our visitors to Charlotte were always impressed by the cleanliness they saw here.

Now we seem to have people here who just don't care, or don't know any better. I do not mean this in a prejudiced way, but I know from my travels and reading that in central American countries the idea of trash removal and recycling don't really exist. Many families there just dump all their garbage in their yards or over the closest cliff. It seems to me that that is what is happening in some places here now. Just like there is a big push to help hispanics understand about not drinking and driving, maybe we need a big educational effort to let them know about littering? Not trying to spark a controversy here, just trying to speak honestly about a problem I have observed.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:13 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
lower taxes= less services....sometimes they get the chain gangs out there to do it (I know that's not the correct term to use anymore, but it's the same thing)...but most of the time the cigarette buts and mcdonalds cups stay out theire until they decompose. A really good way to keep the highway medians from looking like dumps would be to not litter...but that is apparenlty too easy for some people.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:19 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
lower taxes= less services....sometimes they get the chain gangs out there to do it (I know that's not the correct term to use anymore, but it's the same thing)...but most of the time the cigarette buts and mcdonalds cups stay out theire until they decompose. A really good way to keep the highway medians from looking like dumps would be to not litter...but that is apparenlty too easy for some people.
But for me it's more complicated than that. People in this city used to police themselves. I know you probably have a hard time imagining how clean this city used to be, but it was. There was tremendous civic pride. Not so much anymore And the sheriff can't take the prisoners out to do the pick up anymore because we have a huge influx of prisoners and not enough deputies to handle them all. One of the consequences of all this growth.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:40 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,131 times
We live just across the state line in SC. We have a program that is called Litter Busters....if you see someone littering from their car there is a 24hr phone number that you can call to report the person. My children are the ones that made me aware of this program and now they are also always on the lookout for people littering (we have filed two reports).

There is a similar program in North Carolina

http://www.palmettopride.org/litterbusters.htm (broken link)

http://www.ncdot.org/doh/operations/...ion/litterbug/

Old 01-17-2007, 04:45 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times
funny this should be posted now When we originally driving through here this past Summer we couldn't believe how "clean" it was compared to CA. WOW no trash no graffiti ect. Just yesterday I ran my son up to dh's work and was shocked at how much trash was on the 1 and 440/40. I even commented about it as soon as we met my DH. It made me very sad!

Old 01-17-2007, 07:28 PM

40 posts, read 142,215 times
We noticed how bad it was right away when we relocated here from Utah. In Utah they seemed to have prisoners on clean up duty about once a week, maybe it was every other. The place was always being cleaned up. I never saw people littering it was awesome. Here I saw a woman throw her fast food wrappers out the window. It is crazy, the lack of respect for the beauty of this area.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:05 PM

Well, being in real estate I think it's about darn time I ran into some agent's offices and sparked up some controversy! Of course they are too busy to pick up trash, but I bet if they wore shirts with big bright company logos promoting their business they might get out in the public eye. Maybe a truck will follow them with the company's logo. What about churches? In Sacramento there were several churches that used to get a big crowd of folks and pick up garbage on roads as a way to give to the community. I'm not a church go'er but some of you who are, do you think this is a possibility? I may go out next week for a couple of hours and pick up what I can. I won't do freeways though. I think you need a special permit to do something like that anyway, safety reasons etc.. Any feedback?

Last edited by deuterdu; 01-17-2007 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: misspelled

Old 01-17-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Sorry but I disagree with one thing you said. If we have higher taxes I believe it = less family income, happy politicians and more dead end inefficient government programs. We would have to pay the government $500 an hour per person. Remember, these are the same folks who paid $10,000 for a toilet seat on a government airplane! Since many people don't care I think local businesses (especially real estate professionals-harder to market an area that's trashed) need to get involved. The trade off could be their business being advertised. I don't know, just a thought. At least I know many people are motivated by money so it could work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina