Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving from Florida: affordable rental homes, family oriented neighborhoods, good middle school

Old 07-22-2008, 06:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,762 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading so many different opinions here that I don't know what to do anymore!
So, I decided to start a new thread with the hopes that you could help us.
My husband and I are really tired of Florida for so many reasons (cost of living, no jobs, no trees, safety issues, unfriendly people, etc...) so, suddenly this week we decided to move to North Carolina.LOL!!!
Now, where is the question???

So, I'm going to tell you all what we are looking for and hopefully you can help us. We would really like to hear from people that have relocated there or natives. The more imput you can provide the better. We plan on moving real soon and can't afford to visit first.

Here it goes...
1)Affordable rental homes in family oriented neighborhoods (right now we are paying $1300 for a two bedroom/1bath appartement).
2)Good Middle School a must
3)Diverse ethnicities... My daughter is half black/white (never thought of my daughter in that way before but just wanted you to understand)... we just want a community that is open minded in regards to that.
4)Close to a city(thirty minutes or less)...Like Raleigh or Charlotte... for convinience.
5)My husband is really interested in becoming a wilderness survival guide (He's a veteran, so I think he would be great at it!)... so an area with job openings in that kind of work would be a plus but not a must.
6)Low crime rate.

I hope we will receive many responses from all of you. Thank You so much for taking the time for our family.
Your own experiences, opinions, suggestions, pictures, videos, good addresses, etc... are all welcomed!The more details the better!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 08:35 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melimelo View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading so many different opinions here that I don't know what to do anymore!
So, I decided to start a new thread with the hopes that you could help us.
My husband and I are really tired of Florida for so many reasons (cost of living, no jobs, no trees, safety issues, unfriendly people, etc...) so, suddenly this week we decided to move to North Carolina.LOL!!!
Now, where is the question???

So, I'm going to tell you all what we are looking for and hopefully you can help us. We would really like to hear from people that have relocated there or natives. The more imput you can provide the better. We plan on moving real soon and can't afford to visit first.

Here it goes...
1)Affordable rental homes in family oriented neighborhoods (right now we are paying $1300 for a two bedroom/1bath appartement).
2)Good Middle School a must
3)Diverse ethnicities... My daughter is half black/white (never thought of my daughter in that way before but just wanted you to understand)... we just want a community that is open minded in regards to that.
4)Close to a city(thirty minutes or less)...Like Raleigh or Charlotte... for convinience.
5)My husband is really interested in becoming a wilderness survival guide (He's a veteran, so I think he would be great at it!)... so an area with job openings in that kind of work would be a plus but not a must.
6)Low crime rate.

I hope we will receive many responses from all of you. Thank You so much for taking the time for our family.
Your own experiences, opinions, suggestions, pictures, videos, good addresses, etc... are all welcomed!The more details the better!!!
Are jobs a concern? Would you consider being 30 minutes away from smaller cities, or does it have to be the big ones?

Old 07-23-2008, 07:09 AM

A 30 minutes commute sounds wonderful compared to here and smaller cities are fine as long as the basic needs are available... We don't want to have to hunt for our food!LOL!(Just joking!)

Old 07-23-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
A 30 minutes commute sounds wonderful compared to here and smaller cities are fine as long as the basic needs are available... We don't want to have to hunt for our food!LOL!(Just joking!)
But what about jobs? If so, what kind? Do you need to find them or do they come with you?

Old 07-23-2008, 01:35 PM

We are not really concerned about jobs as we intend to start a small business (we have a few ideas but new ones are always welcomed!LOL!)... the only job my husband talked about being interested in is the wilderness survival guide type job (My husband loves that stuff!HA!HA!HA!).
I was looking around a bit more today and Apex and Clayton seem very nice. What is your take on that?
Thank you so much for taking the time for us... It is appreciated!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
We are not really concerned about jobs as we intend to start a small business (we have a few ideas but new ones are always welcomed!LOL!)... the only job my husband talked about being interested in is the wilderness survival guide type job (My husband loves that stuff!HA!HA!HA!).
I was looking around a bit more today and Apex and Clayton seem very nice. What is your take on that?
Thank you so much for taking the time for us... It is appreciated!
Would so love to be in the position that jobs didn't matter

I like Clayton and Apex - they are rural and family friendly. But you can travel to Raleigh easy enough for any big city things you might need. Schools are also supposed to be pretty good - I'd say that is one area to definitely check out.

Of course going toward that side of the state you are going away from the mountains, which is where you would find more "wilderness adventure" type jobs. In particular, Outward Bound has a program near Table Rock Mountain north of the town of Morganton. Here is a link:

Young people today need authentic adventure**||**North Carolina Outward Bound School: About Us: History: North Carolina Outward Bound School (http://www.ncobs.org/about_us/history/north_carolina_outward_bound_school.php - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina