Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 08:45 AM

27 posts, read 138,116 times

Advertisements

I've been debating starting this thread for a couple of days now, but I need to know.

I hope I don't come off as racist, but I believe this is a fair question, since so many of us are coming from places invaded by illegal immigrants and its consecuences, like CA, FL and TX.

Anyway, I keep reading on the news that NC is starting to go through a big boom of illegal immigrants and it's starting to scare me.. I don't want to live in the next California. I also read that this is happening because Georgia and other neighboring states have enforced their laws and that NC has not followed suit in doing so, thus attracting them to your state.

Could some locals share info on this subject? Are the illegal immigrants more or less concentrated in certain areas or are they all over the place. I was considering / in the process of relocating close to the Triad but can't find any info on this subject and I'm starting to loose sleep over it.. lol.

From over-crowded central Fl,
J

Old 05-28-2006, 09:06 AM

212 posts, read 1,063,808 times
I would say it is undoubtedly true. This question was asked of an illegal in the local paper and his response was," si, porque en carolina del norte no hay problemas con la migra". (Yes because in NC there are no problems with I.N.S.).

There has been an incredible influx of hispanics into the state. One of the largest changes has been due to the year around need for farm labor with the advent of the large turkey, hog, and chicken farms. This has provided year 'round employment for what would have been a seasonal agricultural workforce. And of course illegals flock to the state for the same reasons folks from other states come to NC, it is possible to have a good quality of life without having a great deal of money.

Personally I have had no bad experiences with the illegals...I wish they were here legally and I feel the government is largely to blame for letting them take advantage of our system. I can't really blame a poor person for wanting to go where they can receive medical care, work tax free, etc.

But yes over the last 20 years the numbers have increased unbelievably.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:39 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,973 times
clodhopper, you're scaring me, seriously. I have had nothing but terrible experiences with the illegals where I live (L.A.) And yes, maybe one should blame a poor person for exploitation. I sure don't receive medical care, work tax free, and don't plan to break any laws to do so, do you? Is this the American way, to plunder?

I could bore everyone for hours with my experiences of quality of life diminished directly by mean-spirited illegals, but instead I'll summarize one of my best friend. She is poor, no medicial insurance and was diagnosed with cancer, went to a county-funded hospital. She is an American citizen who's paid taxes all her working life. But she had the unfortunate predicament to have a gynocological cancer, which put her in obstetrics.

I accompanied her many times to County, and each and every time, we were the only American citizens there. 98 of the other 100 people in the room were illegals who were 8 and half months pregnant. (Newly arrived people do indeed dress very differently from longtime resident foreign nationals. This is a far more valid observation than going by no one speaking English.) My friend was, therefore, pushed to the back of the line by 98 illegals in front of her.

The upshot is an American citizen had to wait 4 months between appointments for cancer diagnoses, surgeries and treatment (!) because of this disparity. The fallout is that she had complications that will last her the rest of her life, that easily could have been prevented with normal followup had she been able to visit a county hospital in any other place but a city filled to the brim with illegals. Think about that the next time you visit an emergency center. It could be filled with those "harmless" illegals exploiting the system that you and I pay for.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:52 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardeny
I've been debating starting this thread for a couple of days now, but I need to know.

I hope I don't come off as racist, but I believe this is a fair question, since so many of us are coming from places invaded by illegal immigrants and its consecuences, like CA, FL and TX.

Anyway, I keep reading on the news that NC is starting to go through a big boom of illegal immigrants and it's starting to scare me.. I don't want to live in the next California. I also read that this is happening because Georgia and other neighboring states have enforced their laws and that NC has not followed suit in doing so, thus attracting them to your state.

Could some locals share info on this subject? Are the illegal immigrants more or less concentrated in certain areas or are they all over the place. I was considering / in the process of relocating close to the Triad but can't find any info on this subject and I'm starting to loose sleep over it.. lol.

From over-crowded central Fl,
J

Ca, Fla and Tx?? What about Arizona? Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!! I heard an illegal on the raido last week saying NC is the only place they can get drivers licenses legally. What gives?

Old 05-28-2006, 10:11 AM

Sorry, i didn't mean to exclude anyone.. lol..

I read about the drivers licenses too.. I also read that the higher ups promised changes on the DMV's policies, but so far, nothing has been happening. They're still driving around with valid NC licenses.

Old 05-28-2006, 10:23 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times
I'm glad you brought up that point also. I know in Fla you have a lot of problems with the illegals as well as we do. I was thinking about how much car insurance would run in NC. We have very expensive insurance here in AZ due to the fact that we have LOTS of accidents involving illegas with no license and car insurance. It has to be cheaper in NC. They may have their own problems with illegals and growing but it can't be as bad as these border states yet. Can it?

Old 05-28-2006, 10:34 AM

104 posts, read 144,887 times
Another thread about this?

Old 05-28-2006, 10:53 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardeny
I read about the drivers licenses too.. I also read that the higher ups promised changes on the DMV's policies, but so far, nothing has been happening. They're still driving around with valid NC licenses.
Driving around with past licenses, maybe. The NCDMV is cracking down with new rules. I went through total hell last spring trying to get my license renewed (I'm a driver with ~30 years history behind the wheel) simply because the system did not have a record of my full middle name, only an initial. I was told that the stringent changes related to 9/11. I finally squawked "jeebus! I'm a white, midde-age lady! I ride a scooter! You think there is a terrorist cell of white, middle-age, scooter riding females around here?" That illicited a snort of laugher from someone in the back, so I eventually convinced them that I wasn't a)illegal or b)a deadly peril to this country's security. I was admonished to update my legal papers -- get a passport.

http://www.ncdot.org/DMV/driver_serv...uirements.html

For the first time issuance of a North Carolina identification card, learner's permit or driver's license, proof of residency is required which must include name and current North Carolina residence address. This is in addition to proof of age and identity requirements. Acceptable documents include the following. NOTE: The proof of residency documents are subject to verifiable authenticity by the Division.

(1) Documents issued by the United States Government or by the government of another nation, such as

* Military orders
* Valid passport
* Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) documents
* Correspondence from Veterans Administration
* Matricula Consular from Government of Mexico
* Correspondence from the Social Security Administration

(2) Documents issued by the State of North Carolina or its political subdivisions (County, city) another State, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or a U.S. Territory, such as

* Valid North Carolina vehicle registration
* Correspondence or a service card from Social Services
* Property tax statement
* Library card
* North Carolina voter registration card

(3) A preprinted bank or other corporate statement (Example: Bank statement)

(4) A preprinted business letterhead

(5) Documents deemed reliable by the Division such as

* Apartment lease, housing contract, mortgage statement
* Utility bill (Power bill, cable bill, water bill, etc.) or contract for utility services
* School records signed by school official, including driver education certificates
* Computer generated tax record
* Current life, health, property or automobile insurance policy or binder
* Letter from homeless shelter
* Document from Social Services
* Computer generated check stub

A sworn affidavit may be used ONLY if one of the above documents is NOT available. In the case of a minor, a parent or legal guardian must sign the affidavit. General Statutes requires a $2.00 fee for execution of an affidavit.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skout
Another thread about this?

Will all due respect, I searched the forums before creating this thread and couldn't find the response I was looking for. I certainly hope this thread doesn't turn ugly like that "racism" thread.

My basic question is, could I please be adviced what areas to avoid.. I read comments and opinions on the subject, but no specific posts as to which areas are being the most bombarded. I'm guessing Charlotte and Raleigh are the top ones.

Thanks..

Old 05-28-2006, 11:22 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
I think the Feds put the all of the states on notice to stop the practice of issuing official state identification, such as a driver's license without attempting to establish the person's true identity and place of residency. NC and a few other states were really bad about the sort of thing in the past. The bad guys were using those forms of ID to acquire other various permits, licenses and make purchases of questionable materials or items for possible illegal use. Reminds me of a guy who was trying to buy 200 pounds of sugar at the Piggly-Wiggly supermarket years ago.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-28-2006 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina