Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:03 PM

5 posts, read 14,448 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm considering an offer that would relocate my family and I to North Carolina from Missouri. My position will be at-home based, so I can choose any county in North Carolina to live in. Here are the important things:

Low-crime
Manageable housing market
great schools (we have a 6 year old and 3 year old)
Employment opportunities for husband (he is in human resources)
Cultural activities
Proximity to a college would be nice
Not too big, not too small

I know that is a tall order, but I've never even been to North Carolina (the home based position is pulling at me, esp with the kiddos). Any advice would at least be a starting point.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 03:08 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccamil View Post
Hello,

I'm considering an offer that would relocate my family and I to North Carolina from Missouri. My position will be at-home based, so I can choose any county in North Carolina to live in. Here are the important things:

Low-crime
Cultural activities

I know that is a tall order, but I've never even been to North Carolina (the home based position is pulling at me, esp with the kiddos). Any advice would at least be a starting point.

Thanks.
I'd suggest you check out Cary, near Raleigh

Old 08-26-2008, 03:38 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccamil View Post
Hello,

Low-crime
Cultural activities

Thanks.
Care anything about summer or winter climate?

Old 08-26-2008, 05:36 PM

Default Climate

No, the climate isn't really a concern. I'm flexible regarding that aspect.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:22 AM

6 posts, read 20,323 times
Not a resident of NC but aspiring to be...lol. From the research I have done and from other posts I have read the area of Southern Pines/Pinehurts has excellent schools.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:12 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I have lived in KCMO and H is from STL, Mizzou grad . . . we have friends all over MO, from Perryville to Belton to Chillicothe to Jeff City. If you can tell me where you are living now and what areas you like in MO . . . perhaps I can suggest something that might be compatible here in NC.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:55 PM

Currently living in Columbia Missouri and really like it. Lived in KCMO for four years and decided to move back to Columbia for low crime, culture, and good education for kids. I appreciate your input!

Old 08-31-2008, 11:23 AM

66 posts, read 285,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflowerbyname View Post
Not a resident of NC but aspiring to be...lol. From the research I have done and from other posts I have read the area of Southern Pines/Pinehurts has excellent schools.
That is correct, and we are about an hour from Durham and UNC.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:52 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,860 times
Charlotte is the largest city in the state and is more into business and banking concerns. If you are into the medical field I would suggest Durham, Raleigh or some of the smaller towns and cities near there like Cary, Knightdale, Wake Forest, or Chapel Hill. Greenville, North Carolina which is nearer the coast has an excellent medical school and facility. Welcome to North Carolina.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:07 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Were you actually in Kansas City or a burb? I am thinking you are going to want an outlying town, rather than a big city. The areas Bethany mentioned are good. And you would have major universities nearby, as well.

I would suggest, for the Charlotte area. . . maybe Huntersville or Matthews or in SC, Ft. Mill or Tega Cay. You might also consider Union County, wh/ is S. of CLT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina