Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2007, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,048 times

Advertisements

I am puerto rican and planning to move to North Carolina from Philadelphia, Pa. with my husband and three children, 2 in which are in grade school. I have never been to North Carolina and don't know where we can find a good town that are multicultural and can buy a great home for great prices. I also am concerned about the schooling I want to make sure that where we decide to live at will have excellent school and that is in a good area, (low or no crime) It's a big move for us. We were looking in the Greensboro area, but are not sure. If you know of any town in North Carolina that are multicultural (including puerto ricans) great schools, great and affordable real estate and great schools, please let me know.
Thanks,
rjgarcia5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 AM

702 posts, read 2,525,649 times
Well...there isn't a place that has NO crime. Most places have very low instances of random crime, even large cities. With that in mind, typically you'll find diversity in every major N.C. city. I think I read recently that N.C. has had the largest increase in hispanic population in the U.S. for the last couple of years, but I'm not sure about puerto ricans specifically.

Cities in the mountain areas generally don't attract as much diversity, but Asheville is a beautiful and progressive city of around 100,000 people. All the other major cities are great and have advantages and disadvantages...Wilmington, Raleigh, Greenboro, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Durham are the ones I would consider major cities, along with suburbs and surrounding areas (Chapel Hill, Cary, High Point, lots of areas surrounding Charlotte).

Old 02-07-2007, 11:38 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
i am living in Philly now, but my home is in SC--so i wish you good look in your move. I cant wait for the day that I can go back home also.

Charlotte is excellent area for new comers--it is more cosmo than any other city in NC

Old 04-09-2008, 11:52 AM

14 posts, read 40,830 times
My husband and I with our three kids (4, 2 and 3 months) are moving to North Carolina this summer. My husband is NJ born Puerto Rican and we're moving to Durham. We visited Raleigh, Chapel Hill and Durham and like Durham because of its city feel (we like the city culture vibe) and affordability. The schools are mixed compared to Raleigh and Chapel Hill (which are said to be excellent). But they apparently have fantastic Charter Schools and the regular public schools are getting better as more people move there. Thats just the little we know so far. I've heard Charlotte is a cool city and that Greensboro isn't as cosmopolitan...

Good luck!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:08 AM

10 posts, read 17,343 times
Does anyone know how Charlotte compares as opposed to Asheville???

Old 06-16-2009, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 6,196 times
You should look in Cary

Old 06-16-2009, 01:31 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie30 View Post
Does anyone know how Charlotte compares as opposed to Asheville???
Charlotte is a large city with a large metro area. Asheville is a small city in the mountains surrounded by smaller towns. They are very different. Is that what you were looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina