Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 10:14 AM

115 posts, read 212,688 times
Wow! Urbancharlotte and m.metro, I really didn't mean to start a fight! I'm sure both areas have TONS to offer and we're extremely excited about getting down there and seeing it with our own 2 eyes. Honestly, the post about Chapel Hill has impacted me the most so far! I read the article in Bon Appetit and it sounds EXACTLY like millions (I exaggerate) of articles written about the food scene in Portland. I don't mind living in a smaller town, as long as there are options nearby.
And in response to one question that was asked, we're not particular about the age of the house specifically, we just aren't partial to brand new construction in new developments where everyone's house looks the same and everyone drives the same SUV (am I painting a picture?)
We will most likely rent for the first year or so before deciding what neighborhood feels right for us. The cost of houses in NC is MUCH MORE affordable than it is here.
Thanks again for all the information everyone, and for crying out loud---stop fighting about your respective cities!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:17 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Thumbs up Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandshaws View Post
Thanks again for all the information everyone, and for crying out loud---stop fighting about your respective cities!

You got it!

Glad the article in Bon Appetit was of help. I hope you enjoy your trip to NC. This state has a lot to offer no matter where you end up. Good Luck!

Old 11-03-2008, 03:41 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
Raleigh has a population of around 375,000 and Charlotte, around 750,000. At the county level, the population difference between Wake (where Raleigh is located) and Mecklenburg (where Charlotte is located) is 30,000 people.....To give you a perspective as to how sprawled Raleigh is, Raleigh covers 126 square miles!
From US Census Website (2007 figures):

Raleigh:375,806
Wake County:832,970

Charlotte: 671,588
Mecklenburg County:867,067

From Wikipedia:

Raleigh: 115.6 square miles
Charlotte: 280.5 square miles

Charlotte is NOT double the population of Raleigh yet its city limits are 2.4 times larger in area. Now, what was this discussion about how sprawled Raleigh is???

The biggest difference in population distribution between Wake and Mecklenburg counties is that Mecklenburg is overwhelmingly dominated by Charlotte while Wake has many more municipalities other than Raleigh proper including a giant suburb immediately against Raleigh's western side: Cary with more than 121,000 people.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:29 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
There is a couple wanting to move from Seattle to either Charlotte or Raleigh on Charlotte's forum. The same Raleigh/Charlotte debate is going on over there. This couple has visited both Raleigh and Charlotte and are leaning towards Charlotte. Maybe this couple can swap stories and ideas with Portlandshaws. It is sometimes easier to talk to poeple from your area with similar plans of relocation. Here is that forum
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ttle-need.html

Old 11-03-2008, 05:08 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,676,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
There is a couple wanting to move from Seattle to either Charlotte or Raleigh on Charlotte's forum. The same Raleigh/Charlotte debate is going on over there. This couple has visited both Raleigh and Charlotte and are leaning towards Charlotte. Maybe this couple can swap stories and ideas with Portlandshaws. It is sometimes easier to talk to poeple from your area with similar plans of relocation. Here is that forum
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ttle-need.html

You do realize that scenario goes both ways right? Like I said, some folks choose Raleigh, some folks choose Charlotte.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:44 PM

17 posts, read 58,274 times
A good website with some photos of downtown Raleigh at night is goodnightraleigh.com Click either the nightlife or bars & clubs heading

Last edited by Raleighjon; 11-03-2008 at 05:57 PM..

Old 11-03-2008, 07:27 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,758,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandshaws View Post
Honestly, the post about Chapel Hill has impacted me the most so far! I read the article in Bon Appetit and it sounds EXACTLY like millions (I exaggerate) of articles written about the food scene in Portland. I don't mind living in a smaller town, as long as there are options nearby.
And in response to one question that was asked, we're not particular about the age of the house specifically, we just aren't partial to brand new construction in new developments where everyone's house looks the same and everyone drives the same SUV (am I painting a picture?)
We will most likely rent for the first year or so before deciding what neighborhood feels right for us. The cost of houses in NC is MUCH MORE affordable than it is here.
I would recommend looking at Inside The Beltline (Raleigh), Watts Hillandale (Durham), Trinty Park (Durham), parts of Chapel Hill.

Chapel Hill reminds me of Eugene somewhat. It's a small (50K) liberal, college town. It doesn't have as heavy of a hippy influence as Eugene. You'll find the organic produce type stores and such in CH and most folks are liberal. But it's got more of a professional college atmosphere than the hippy, laid back, slacker atmosphere of Eugene.

Durham is by far the most diverse of all the Triangle towns. The closer you are to down town & Duke the more likily you will find walkable neighborhoods with independent resturants and shops. None of these places are on the scale of Portland. But this area doens't have the population density that Portland has, so it's understandable.

ITB, I've heard swings both conservative (old Southern money) and liberal (new, hip families.... some southern some transplants) moving in.

If you don't want the burbs, avoid Cary, most of North Raleigh, South Durham (where I live), parts of North Durham, Wake Forest, East Raleigh, Clayton. The burbs here are different from Beaverton or Hillsboro. But the car is still king here.

If you guys plan to buy a home pre WWII home here, I highly recommend getting a realtor who understands these homes here. There are issues with old homes here that we did not have in Portland. I quickly realized just because I understood old homes in Portland that did not equate to much here.

Good luck with the search!!!

Old 11-04-2008, 12:58 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
"Charlotte has the hottest restaurant scene in the Tar Heel state". This quote is from USA today's travel section. Here is the link.
Charlotte City Guide: What to do, where to eat, where to stay, more - USATODAY.com

Charlotte's restaurant scene is being fueled by Johnson and Wales Univ. uptown campus. The same way Western Culinary Institute has helped Portland, this renown institution is helping the scene in Charlotte.
http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/culi...arlotte_nc.htm

Some of Charlotte's food scene to check out on your visit.
http://www.americascuisine.com/charlotte/charlotte_restaurants.htm (broken link)

Charlotte and Portland will NEVER make the list of "Foodiest Small Town". They aren't small towns. You guys will see what I mean on your visit to NC. Keep in mind that ABSOLUTELY NO TOWN OR CITY IN NC can compare with Portland. No matter what you guys may have been told, Portland is FAR AHEAD of NC as a whole. I say this so you guys aren't fooled by the hype. Charlotte's food scene is the closest to Portland in this state IMO. Charleston SC is the best in the Carolinas as a whole. Good Luck!!!

I know you it has not been mentioned, but are you guys into theme/amusement parks? Charlotte's Theme Park is Carowinds. It is the only major park in the Carolinas. Atlanta and the Virginia Beach areas are the next closest in the region with a theme park. The Triangle doesn't have any theme parks. I believe Portland has Oaks amusement park. If you are a fan of Oaks or your children are future Oaks fans, you will be driving at least 2 1/2 hours for the nearest park in the Triangle. Not only is Charlotte the largest city, but it also has those "little benefits" that come with being the largest city in the state. Many of these benefits are not known by outsiders. That is why those of us that live in NC are saying "Charlotte hands down" if you are looking for the "big city" in this state.

Here is a link to Carowinds Theme Park
http://www.carowinds.com/#actions

Are you a fan of IKEA?
The only IKEA in the Carolinas opens next year in Charlotte. There are no plans for an IKEA in the Triangle. Portland has IKEA.
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/ikny_splash.html (broken link)

My point is that Charlotte is by far the closest thing to Portland's standards in NC. You guys will be taking several "steps backwards" from Portland by moving to the Triangle. Charlotte is 2 or 3 "steps backwards" from Portland's standards. Either way, you will not find Portland in NC so I would suggest not to even try looking for it. Doing so will only result in a serious let down. It would be wise to look for Portland's closest comparison. That city is Charlotte hands down. Again, good luck guys!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-04-2008 at 02:00 AM..

Old 11-04-2008, 08:39 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
I would recommend looking at Inside The Beltline (Raleigh), Watts Hillandale (Durham), Trinty Park (Durham), parts of Chapel Hill.

Chapel Hill reminds me of Eugene somewhat. It's a small (50K) liberal, college town. It doesn't have as heavy of a hippy influence as Eugene. You'll find the organic produce type stores and such in CH and most folks are liberal. But it's got more of a professional college atmosphere than the hippy, laid back, slacker atmosphere of Eugene.

Durham is by far the most diverse of all the Triangle towns. The closer you are to down town & Duke the more likily you will find walkable neighborhoods with independent resturants and shops. None of these places are on the scale of Portland. But this area doens't have the population density that Portland has, so it's understandable.

ITB, I've heard swings both conservative (old Southern money) and liberal (new, hip families.... some southern some transplants) moving in.

If you don't want the burbs, avoid Cary, most of North Raleigh, South Durham (where I live), parts of North Durham, Wake Forest, East Raleigh, Clayton. The burbs here are different from Beaverton or Hillsboro. But the car is still king here.

If you guys plan to buy a home pre WWII home here, I highly recommend getting a realtor who understands these homes here. There are issues with old homes here that we did not have in Portland. I quickly realized just because I understood old homes in Portland that did not equate to much here.

Good luck with the search!!!
^^ PDX mom rocks and is your ultimate source of Portland to Triangle comparisons (too soon to give you another rep point). I've actually learned a lot about Portland from your posts PDX Mom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina