Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 12:53 PM

192 posts, read 654,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The North Carolina coast is the most vulnerable to a direct hurricane strike, but inland cities and towns across the state can also be devastated by the high winds and potential tornados, storm surges, flooding and landslides from hurricanes and tropical storms.
Absolutely true!
It's a misconception that only NC's coast is vunerable.

I think it's totally understandable...those inland may be "less prepared", or less "in the mindset", so to speak, about their vunerability...in contrast coastal residents are glued to the radio/news, tracking the storm, & running around like panic striken crazies preparing... Maybe the inland residents are lulled into a false sense of security, because they're not in the direct line of strike, & devastation from these storms happens more infrequently to them. I'd think the storms would be a bit like "the boy who cried wolf" for them...and just when they were comfortable that all it was going to mean was a few yucky days & why bother with the lengthly bothersome preparations for nothing big...then surprise! the wolf actually arrives!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2006, 01:26 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,292 times
"Bethany I'm flying into Charlotte Friday night. Hopefully no hurricanes on the horizon."

While Luckydog's comments are true I do believe that this particular storm will be a largely coastal event. In other words, I don't think that Charlotte will be affected that much by this one unless it decides to change coarse and go further north into Florida and then northerly instead of NE that they are expecting. Either way, it will be good practice. Watch this one since it is not likely to be a hurricane but a huge rain maker. At least you will get to see how a tropical storm can be dangerous in its own right. FYI: As you may know once a hurricane causes so much dangerous that the name's further use would cause sensitivity problem the name is retired and never used again. For instance, we will never have another hurricane Katrina as the name is officially retired and when the rotation of names comes back to the names that were used last year again, Katrina will be replace. Only one Tropical Storm has the destinction of being a retired storm. Do you know which one?

Old 06-11-2006, 01:27 PM

And the answer is

Tropical Storm Allison that swamped Texas with torrents of rain and caused flooding and destruction. That was in 2001. Here is some information on the little devil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Allison

Last edited by Bethanytedder; 06-11-2006 at 01:30 PM..

Old 06-11-2006, 03:26 PM

240 posts, read 1,021,952 times
Default Still in Florida

Well, I'm still in So. Florida. I was hoping to leave her before any TS or hurricanes. It's already raining. Three weeks until I move to Charlotte. Wish me luck.

Old 06-11-2006, 03:28 PM

This one is going across the southern end of Florida. According to what I have heard, they need the rain so perhaps for once this will be a blessing instead of a curse. It is just a lot of rain to be coming down at once. I hope you enjoy your move to Charlotte.

Old 06-11-2006, 03:34 PM

Yes, it's a lot of rain and wind. I guess it's needed. A couple of weeks ago we had fires because it was so dry. I really do understand why people become snowbirds now. Everyone left here in April, May at the latest.

The media makes a lot of people anxious with the constant focus on the storm. There are so many people who have not had their roofs repaired and has not been paid by the insurance companies from last year. The thought of TS or hurricanes adds more stress. I'll just think and sing of Sunny Days or maybe Singing in the Rain.

Old 06-11-2006, 03:38 PM

Default All mixed up

Bethanytedder,

So I have a question for you. You seem knowledgeable about NC. I grew up in Virginia and lived there for about 20 years, moved to MD/DC area to go to school and work for about 15 years, I lived in Fl for a year. So what am I? A yankee, southerner, or all mixed up?

Old 06-11-2006, 03:45 PM

I think the Mason-Dixon Line starts at the border of Maryland so technically you are a southerner. You probably have the best of both worlds and know a lot about the northern ways, which I clearly don't and the southern ways. My knowledge is limited to North Carolina since I have lived here my entire life. I use to want to move around. But after meeting Teri who has lived all over the United States, I changed my mind. She like me has lost two children. One is buried in Virginia and one in Michigan. And she hasn't been to her daughter's grave in years. My children are buried right here where I can get to them everyday if I chose to. That is roots. And something that I am happy to have since I have gotten older. I would love to travel but since my health is failing it might not be an option now. But I love to hear people talk about their state and about the beauty in other states. Be thankful for your experiences, and also at the same time be thankful that you are coming to a very family and rooted family area. You should do fine here. You are familiar with southern culture and for a lot of us it is all we have. Respect that.

Old 06-11-2006, 03:59 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washingtonian
Bethanytedder,

So I have a question for you. You seem knowledgeable about NC. I grew up in Virginia and lived there for about 20 years, moved to MD/DC area to go to school and work for about 15 years, I lived in Fl for a year. So what am I? A yankee, southerner, or all mixed up?
Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm. I spent 30 years in Washington (Montgomery County, MD). It was a extreme relief to leave.

If you were born in one of the 11 Southern states, you are a Southerner regardless where you live now. Kind of like, once a Marine, always a Marine.

Old 06-11-2006, 04:12 PM

14 posts, read 111,766 times
The largest quake to be centered in North Carolina shook the western part of our state. It was a magnitude 5.5 on February 21, 1916. Another quake, magnitude 5.2, hit Mitchell County in July of 1926. Three small quakes shook western North Carolina during seven months in 1957. They were small, only 4.0 on the Richter scale, but cracked plaster and knocked down bric-a-brac.

The last damaging earthquake centered in North Carolina was a magnitude 3.5 in Henderson County on May 5, 1981.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina