Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 08:29 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,175 times

Advertisements

I have enjoyed reading these posts and alot of people pushing the positives. Mind you there are alot, I would not leave North Carolina and I was born and raised here( Jamestown NC) Now live in Cary last 13 years, Wife from Fayettville and two kids one ready to go to NC State. Brother in law raised in Cary. I could continue the positives that have already been posted but instead will enlight every one with some things that havent been talked about, this is not to discourage but to inform. Things to ask realitors that might make them studder, Is there a water supply problem in areas and what has been done to fix it? Why is water so expensive in NC. Was there a plan to halt some development because of lack of water supply.Will there be impact fees on realestate to fix the school problems? If not will they just keep voting bonds. Is the school system in metro areas in trouble,What is NC enviromental record. Are taxes going to go up as much as up North? Why Are towns like Cary and Morrisville constantly changes zoning and rules to allow over crowding and greenway distruction. Are there any nick names that certain schools have which represent a problem (Greenhope is called Green dope). Has there been a increase in vandelism around the schools. Why is must population in Central Carolina? Do the main rivers have issues like phisteria which makes people sick and large fish kills?(oriental beach and Newbern areas) Why has the list of fish consumption advisery been updated every year and has grown?(Mercury). know the anwsers to these qeustions but thought it would be a good thread to since not all of these are talked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 09:52 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC man View Post
Why is water so expensive in NC.
Personally.....I don't think it is. I keep hearing about the high water rates in Wake Forest....I was sure I hadn't budgeted enough....and when I got my first bill.....I called them to see if they'd made a mistake it was so low.

We came from an area on one of the largest fresh water lakes in the world, and paid three times as much.

So....it's all relative....y'all should be happy for the cheap water.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:58 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
I have enjoyed reading these posts and alot of people pushing the positives. Mind you there are alot, I would not leave North Carolina and I was born and raised here( Jamestown NC) Now live in Cary last 13 years, Wife from Fayettville and two kids one ready to go to NC State. Brother in law raised in Cary. I could continue the positives that have already been posted but instead will enlight every one with some things that havent been talked about, this is not to discourage but to inform. Things to ask realitors that might make them studder, Is there a water supply problem in areas and what has been done to fix it? Why is water so expensive in NC. Was there a plan to halt some development because of lack of water supply.Will there be impact fees on realestate to fix the school problems? If not will they just keep voting bonds. Is the school system in metro areas in trouble,What is NC enviromental record. Are taxes going to go up as much as up North? Why Are towns like Cary and Morrisville constantly changes zoning and rules to allow over crowding and greenway distruction. Are there any nick names that certain schools have which represent a problem (Greenhope is called Green dope). Has there been a increase in vandelism around the schools. Why is must population in Central Carolina? Do the main rivers have issues like phisteria which makes people sick and large fish kills?(oriental beach and Newbern areas) Why has the list of fish consumption advisery been updated every year and has grown?(Mercury). know the anwsers to these qeustions but thought it would be a good thread to since not all of these are talked up.
Really good (great) questions. I've heard/read/discussed most of them (the new ones are the school nicknames). Although I didn't quite understand the Central Carolina comment- can you expand on that.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:38 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Personally.....I don't think it is. I keep hearing about the high water rates in Wake Forest....I was sure I hadn't budgeted enough....and when I got my first bill.....I called them to see if they'd made a mistake it was so low.

We came from an area on one of the largest fresh water lakes in the world, and paid three times as much.

So....it's all relative....y'all should be happy for the cheap water.
How long have you been here? Last year we had a fair amount of rain but three previous years we were drought. Water restrictions and lots of disscussion of halting all development, Water only on given days and large fines. One year and now all is good again,,,no way,,its a huge problem and trust me, when Jordon lake a creek again and chatham and wake fight over water.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:43 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
North Carolina is one of those states where nothing good or bad applies to the entire state. If you don't like some aspect of local life, another part of the state will have the opposite.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:34 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
How long have you been here? Last year we had a fair amount of rain but three previous years we were drought. Water restrictions and lots of disscussion of halting all development, Water only on given days and large fines. One year and now all is good again,,,no way,,its a huge problem and trust me, when Jordon lake a creek again and chatham and wake fight over water.
I've been here over three years now...we went through the drought and water restrictions. They just aren't that bad or limited to North Carolina. The drought affected many states last year.

Water restrictions may be new to you, but in the mid 80s Northern Ohio has a longer one...we lived by that huge Lake, and couldn't water our lawns either. Nothing new.

Again....water rates may be more expensive then some areas....they aren't high at all for others.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:28 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,150,202 times
Water restrictions??? I worked for the Department of Social Services in Charlottesville, VA and one summer we were told we could not flush the toliets in the public bathrooms. It's one thing to be told by the city to not wash your car, but toliets need to be flushed! And, the residential water bills were outrageous.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:23 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,836,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Water restrictions??? I worked for the Department of Social Services in Charlottesville, VA and one summer we were told we could not flush the toliets in the public bathrooms. It's one thing to be told by the city to not wash your car, but toliets need to be flushed! And, the residential water bills were outrageous.
Thats just NASTY!

Old 03-05-2007, 07:03 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
You also need to throughly check the routes of proposed developments and new highways.

When I was looking at homes last year my real estate agent showed me one that he had listed and really wanted to sell. We were down to 2 homes and this was one of them. Well we bought the other house fortunately. It seems that NC is getting their permits and plans finalized to put a 4 lane divided highway not 250 feet from the front door of that particular house.

That would have severely ticked me off.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:46 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
And then, realtors wonder why they have a poor reputation and people don't really trust them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina