Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 12:54 PM

5 posts, read 13,268 times

Advertisements

In January of 2008 I received a speeding ticket (80 in 55) in Winston-Salem. In March of 2008 I received a ticket on I-85 for 96 in 65. I had two attorneys. My first case was finally tried in September. Of course I paid big dollars to the attorney who lost. My license was suspended for six months. I had to pay extra to my attorney for a limited driving privlidge. Well a month later my other case came up, which the results were the same. Now my privlidge is revoked and I am suspended for one year. I went to a NCDMV hearing which was not susccessful I've been driving in NC for 14 years and my driving record is clean. Now I'm without a license for a year. I have no means of transportation to get my kids to school and to travel to work. Right now I am lost. I do admit that I was wrong for speeding and feel as if I have been punished for my actions. I even offered to go to driving training and to do community service. The economy is bad and I can not afford to lose my job. Does anyone have any recommendations. I have tried all avenues. I have spoken to many other attorneys and no one can help. I've been on-line all day, NC has no hardship license's. Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. I never thought that I would be put in a situation where I would have to break the law for a year. It's either survive or not. And as we all know it is impossible to find a job without a license. it's impossible to find a job in this economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 01:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Try to find a bus that runs into Winston Salem downtown , business, working for the city or county.
Find county services for your kids but I dont know why they cant use a school bus. Move closer to downtown I say this since that is where the transit center is that why I reference downtown in my post.
Once it goes beyond judges to the state there is nothing that can be done once it in the NCDOT hands.
They will make sure you will realize driving IS A PRIVILEGE
but I keep asking myself in my head if the hearing officer denied you then there is something else to this story that isnt being said.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:47 PM

Well I thought the same thing. I actually contacted NCDMV and requested a copy of the Officers findings. It read I showed no remorse. I spoke to his supervisor and assured him that was not the case. The supervisor said he has had complaints on this guy before. Oh by the way the recording of the hearing all of a sudden was misplaced. This was brought up once I advised how rude the Officer was and I requested the tape and advised them to listen to the tape. They granted me another hearing with one of his co-workers. The supervisor said the previous Officer was disciplined and one more strike and he was out. Well his partner still did not give me a privlidge. And when I say my record is clean it is very clean!!

Old 12-30-2008, 03:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Guess you will learn you should put your kids in your head before doing any trouble
Your mouth led to most of this then Good luck
but Im sorry Im not buying this sack of potatoes

Old 12-30-2008, 04:34 PM

558 posts, read 818,517 times
Breaking the law for a year is probably the supidest thing you could do...IMHO. If the attornies have all said there's nothing they can do to restore your license legally, you may want to consider moving close enough to work to be able to walk, take the bus or ride a bike/scooter if you're not already near a good bus route. The children can ride the school bus. You may need to tighten the belt for a year (rent the house, get rid of cable, ditch the high speed internet, get rid of the land line, reduce your cell phone package, sale the car, stop eating out, etc.) if you don't already have enough in savings or disposable income to make the move.

Good luck. Please let us know what you decide or come up with, if you don't mind.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:52 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,419 times
Sounds like you need a "Likker Sickle" (i.e a scooter)that is not considered a motor vehicle. Most folks riding them are in your situation. Why can't the kids take the bus?

Old 12-30-2008, 08:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHAMP View Post
I went to a NCDMV hearing which was not susccessful I've been driving in NC for 14 years and my driving record is clean.
Not so much any more, and I for one am really pleased that the system works and a driver with so little regard for anyone else on the highway is no longer on the road. Hope that when you get your license back that you are a whole lot saner when you get behind the wheel, that you and others may live another day.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:05 PM

983 posts, read 3,986,713 times
By getting the 2nd ticket in less than 3 months shows no remorse. Had I received that 1st ticket, there's NO WAY I would have gotten the 2nd!

Old 12-30-2008, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the reply's. I have truly learned my lesson. I can almost guarantee that many of us have traveled on the highways and found yourself going atleast 80. Does this mean that you are careless, I believe not. Now that I know what I know I can guarantee that I will be traveling the speed limit no matter what. We are not perfect and we do make mistakes in life. Trust me I'm not the type of person that speeds for the hell of it. My driving record was spotless prior to these two incidents. I posted this not to be judged but to get some feedback and to make others aware of what could happen if you violate the NC highway laws. I am not the type of person that you need to watch out for on the road. As I stated earlier I have been a NC driver for fourten years and have always been a safe driver. Both speeding incidents occurred during a time when the road was clear.

On a brighter side I got a call late today from one of my attorney's assistants. He believes that they may be able to work something out. Keep me in your prayers. And for all of you negative one's I know that you have done things before that you have regreted. For the positive one's thanks for the feedback.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
By getting the 2nd ticket in less than 3 months shows no remorse. Had I received that 1st ticket, there's NO WAY I would have gotten the 2nd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina