Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 08:53 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times

Advertisements

to say this, and I am expecting some attacks BUT, I know there is some hostility towards notherners coming down there and trying to change things BUT some of things we want to change actually help the community as a whole....without saying it, as some are banned for bringing up a certain situation in the schools, if many of us are coming from area where this does not exist and make enough noise like some down there have done, some of what we bring in our morals and beliefs help the entire community....Similar to a company changing their CEO, new people and perspective on certain things helps the greater good for all...that is why many companies that bring in top executives, bring them in from another co as opposed to promoting so that change can occur...change is not always a bad thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2006, 09:49 AM

64 posts, read 263,726 times
That's what I've been saying all along, but the people here don't want to hear it,and don't want to change, even if it does make sense.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:57 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times
You know what amazes me more, those with a differing view make comments in the CP, change your own state and leave NC alone....and I know who "you" are (so here comes another negative rep post after they read this but so be it)...I am not trying to change the way things are done- open your mind and what I said is, is some instances change is good, if everyone felt the way YOU do, we would all still be driving around in a horse and buggy...

Old 06-29-2006, 10:07 AM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
I doubt many people no matter who are where they are from will change North Carolina significantly. The natives here are as subborn as they come, myself included. So I wouldn't worry too much about offending anyone. Ignoring changes that they don't want is more likely. And when I say ignore, I mean ignore. No one does it better than a native North Carolinan.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:04 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WenIs02
You know what amazes me more, those with a differing view make comments in the CP, change your own state and leave NC alone....and I know who "you" are (so here comes another negative rep post after they read this but so be it)...I am not trying to change the way things are done- open your mind and what I said is, is some instances change is good, if everyone felt the way YOU do, we would all still be driving around in a horse and buggy...
Well said. It's the same thing with technology. We never had cell phones, cable, wireless technology was never even thought of many years ago. But look at how we have come to use it and make our lives more efficient. And what about the economy? Isn't more growth increasing jobs and strengthening the economy in NC? Last I checked it was.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:09 PM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WenIs02
to say this, and I am expecting some attacks BUT, I know there is some hostility towards notherners coming down there and trying to change things BUT some of things we want to change actually help the community as a whole....without saying it, as some are banned for bringing up a certain situation in the schools, if many of us are coming from area where this does not exist and make enough noise like some down there have done, some of what we bring in our morals and beliefs help the entire community....Similar to a company changing their CEO, new people and perspective on certain things helps the greater good for all...that is why many companies that bring in top executives, bring them in from another co as opposed to promoting so that change can occur...change is not always a bad thing
In my opinion, what you just said here is Brilliant! As you can see by my red flag and -69 my opinion and being from NJ hasn't gone over well.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:01 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,735 times
Being from Fl. I know all to well how it feels to have people come from other areas and bring change. Is all of it bad? Of course not. Is all of it good? No.

Understand that when you come to a new area you are choosing that new area because you like it. You are leaving another area because you do not.(Job changes excluded). Accept that there are always going to be things about any area that are not perfect. There are different ways of doing things that are not wrong they are just different.

I went to college in Asheville. Lived there 4 years. My biggest mistake was leaving and 20 years later I am finally priviledged to be able to move back. I can't wait!! I know things are different. I do not expect Utopia, I expect an Adventure!!!!

I don't plan on changing things. I am moving because I like what I see.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:54 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,459 times
Alot of well intentioned sentiment is perceived as rude, unwarranted meddling. There seems to be a perception among a percentage of transplants that certain practices are backwards, and if the natives would only allow themselves to be educated then eventually they would see how to behave in an enlightened manner.

This is offensive to anyone and seems to be especially so to Southerners.
Essentially it is seen as barging in to someone's home and telling them they are living wrong. People who insist on correcting the perceived faults of others may have to become used to being politely told to mind their own business.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:04 PM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
clodhopper, you reminded me of a couple that came from the north (I won't say what state) and we were ask to assist them in locating a place to live. Which I did. It was a 1000 square foot, 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment for around $350.00 a month. They were elated at the apartment. It was a duplex that the local bank president had built and his mother lived in the other apartment. One day they were coming to eat supper (dinner) with us and I was rolling out pastry for the pie I was making. Holly asked me what I was making and I explained it to her and she replied something to the effect "I thought that the only way to make a pie was with the pie shells at the grocery store." Let me add here though this is not a stickly northern notion. I have seen the girls down here look at me as if I had sprouted horns when I made the pastry for a pie. Faster yes, better, well that is up to the individual. I will say I draw the line at plucking my own chickens however. I think she wondered that when we had fried chicken that night.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:17 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
I knew that you were from Eastern NC. I used to live a few miles from Snow Hill. Now, I also lived in the Western part of the state for several years. Up there they make Chicken and Dumplings. Down East they make the Chicken and Pastry. I've often said that the Western NC and Eastern NC are really like two different States with the Middle of the State kind of a mixture.
Now I live in NYC and have to go to Harlem to get authentic Southern cuisine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina