Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 01:50 PM

8 posts, read 8,557 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I have lived in a very small town in Iowa and a large city in Florida. I want to live somewhere in between!!!!
I think North Carolina would be a good fit but not sure where. I've never even visited.
But I have heard wonderful things from friends.
I prefer a climate that is cool with a mixture of sunny and rainy weather. (I am most comfortable in 45-65 degree weather). I would like to see some snow each winter but not like Iowa snow.
Living near-- but not on-- the beach would be great (1-2 hours away).
Some mountains would be nice but not needed. Woods and parks are a definite yes!
I don't need to worry about school systems but low crime is a must.
Some good stores and restaurants are needed but would prefer less traffic.
The area can't be too expensive. Middle class would be fine.
Does anyone have a place in NC to recommend? Or any state in the US? I am willing to try almost anything but currently focusing on the East or West coast.
Thanks!
G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 04:21 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,069,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl2772 View Post
I prefer a climate that is cool with a mixture of sunny and rainy weather. (I am most comfortable in 45-65 degree weather). I would like to see some snow each winter but not like Iowa snow.....Or any state in the US? I am willing to try almost anything but currently focusing on the East or
You sound like you would enjoy Oregon. North Carolina summers are hot and humid for 2.5-3 months of the year. Otherwise, anywhere from Durham, east to the ocean would fit most of your requirements.

However, you have omitted the first requirement of relocating: What kind of work experience do you have? How large a city do you need to be in to find that work?

Old 12-27-2014, 06:59 PM

Oh, sorry -- I telecommute so location doesn't matter that much....Thanks for the advice! You are spot on with Oregon. It's one of my favorite states.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:20 AM

978 posts, read 2,055,786 times
You might get better results if you post under the general US forum.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:23 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,425,127 times
A friend of mine just moved outside of Havelock from West palm and she loves it. I've never been there, and hear jokes about it being "Havenot". If you telecommute it might be okay.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:41 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,351,962 times
Yeah. I'm not hearing NC in your description. It rarely snows here outside of the mountains and is very hot and humid in the summer. You could check out the mountains but that's the only area that I would recommend based on your description. Most people who move to NC move here for warmer weather.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:46 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,838,770 times
Quote:
Hello!
I think North Carolina would be a good fit but not sure where. I've never even visited.
Well that's your first step--come see it for yourself. You should never consider moving to somewhere you have not even seen in person! Plan a visit and see the state--it looks like you're more interested in the coast than the mountains.

You didn't say anything about a job, so make sure you can find one of those before moving anywhere.

It really sounds like you should start with the General US board first if you can't even narrow it down to East or West coast. There is really nothing that screams "NC" about your post and lots of states fit the description. Uprooting your life to go somewhere you've never even visiting sounds pretty foolish to me...good luck to you.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:02 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm just in the "considering mode" right now. I agree NC doesn't sound quite right for what I'm looking for. And I would visit a place before moving there.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:15 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,737,872 times
I am a big fan of the small towns in the Mountains of NC. I have lived near coast and near mountains. Mountains in a landslide.

Sylva, Hendersonville, Sparta, Morganton, Waynesville all are in or near the mountains. Asheville is kind of big, but Waynesville is close and Sylva not bad. Sylva right at WCU so you can get a little college culture as well.

Please do not fall into the Charlotte, Raleigh, Triad trap. NC has so much more to offer than those big towns.

Good Luck.

Oh, having said all that about the Mountains, I was out with my dogs today for about 45 minutes, 1/2/15. Shorts and tee shirt. A little cool, but not bad at all. I am near the coast.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:30 AM

6,161 posts, read 7,233,412 times
Quote:
Hello!
I have lived in a very small town in Iowa and a large city in Florida. I want to live somewhere in between!!!!
But I have heard wonderful things from friends.
I prefer a climate that is cool with a mixture of sunny and rainy weather. (I am most comfortable in 45-65 degree weather). I would like to see some snow each winter but not like Iowa snow.
Living near-- but not on-- the beach would be great (1-2 hours away).
Some mountains would be nice but not needed. Woods and parks are a definite yes!
I don't need to worry about school systems but low crime is a must.
Some good stores and restaurants are needed but would prefer less traffic.
The area can't be too expensive. Middle class would be fine.
Does anyone have a place in NC to recommend? Or any state in the US? I am willing to try almost anything but currently focusing on the East or West coast.
Thanks!
G
I would consider Wilmington or Asheville. it seems like you are not looking to live in a big city. Both cities are small and very nice. Asheville is in the mountains and Wilmington is on the coast near the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina