Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2006, 06:28 PM

6 posts, read 13,813 times

Advertisements

Read that Neuse River was at one time put on the "endangered list". Massive fish kills were an annual event. Legislature was passed to cure this problem. What have been the results of that legislature ? Are there still large fish kills in the Neuse? I have been thinking of moving from Va to NC in about 2 yrs, when my last child graduates from high school. Am considering New Bern as one of my choices....Greenville area is another. Opinions always welcome.

B8nW8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2006, 07:48 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,757 times
North Carolina has passed many new environmental protection laws in the past decade to address this problem, and beefed up their environmental enforcement offices (at least, attempting to....state employees are paid way less than the private sector so it's often difficult to fill those positions).

As expected the state has gotten alot of flak from the developers about these rules. But what can you do? You either have clean water or you have free-for-all rampant development. You cannot have both.
Fortunately, for the most part, the state is holding its ground. Of course compliance is often a major issue...they can't see *every* thing that goes on out there. The best compliance is citizen action: people actually telling the state when they see someone fill a wetland, destroy a stream or bulldoze over a riparian buffer. Only then can the culprits get their due.

The fish kills still occasionaly happen but it's way way less often now than in the late 90s. You still have incidents (like when Cary's sewage system *****ed up this past month), but there is more work to keep them to a minimum. Again, it depends on everyone doing their part to help....not just relying on government to do the job.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:15 AM

152 posts, read 465,787 times
The Neuse river foundation is a organization that promotes a healthy river.
They seem to do a lot of good work. Its a beautiful river with sprawl the
biggest threat. Hog waste is a problem but seems that can be corrected.
I don't know if the super developments can be stopped but if the river can
get classified as a national wild and scenic river than that will help. Time is
running out, a developer on the river in a remote area of Pamlico has plans
for 600 homes. Construction has started. Just the beginning...

Old 07-07-2006, 01:00 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,860 times
I think when Hurricane Floyd came through here in 1999, he changed the composition of a lot of the inland waterways.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:32 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
I remember that the river keeper in New Bern at one time announced that he wouldn't put his un-gloved hand in the river. Haven't kept up with it much since I moved.
PS-I was in Greenville for Hurricane Floyd. Felt like Viet Nam for about a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina