Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 05:53 PM

86 posts, read 174,198 times

Advertisements

psdrt185 Thanks for your info, i think we have the same situation. i will call that number and try to talk to Stephanie, hope she can help. I am just so stressed out over this, really relied on this and now got disappointed right before New Years eve. But I hope they can fix it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 05:54 PM

JDLJR thanks for your answer. if you can check that on monday and let me know, it would be great.
have a happy new year.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:10 PM

37 posts, read 97,392 times
Member 2009 I know how you feel, believe me! I was stressed out of my mind until I spoke to Stephanie. She was a credit to NCESC as well as JDLJR. I was told the same info as " If you received tier 1 and tier 2 and exhausted both you are eligible. Has NOTHING to do with the date of exhausted benefits or date of NEW benefit year. This is an extension of the EUC08, which includes tier 1, tier 2, NOW tier 3 has been added on as well as tier 4. In other words, ECU08 that was passed in Nov 2008 by Pres. Bush now encompasses Tier 1,Tier2,Tier3,Tier4. That is why you are eligible for tier 3 benefits because you have received and exhausted Tier 1 and Tier 2. So now,you roll into Tier 3 then into Tier 4. DOES that make any sense.??

Last edited by psdrt185; 12-31-2009 at 06:36 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 08:16 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psdrt185 View Post
Member 2009 I know how you feel, believe me! I was stressed out of my mind until I spoke to Stephanie. She was a credit to NCESC as well as JDLJR. I was told the same info as " If you received tier 1 and tier 2 and exhausted both you are eligible. Has NOTHING to do with the date of exhausted benefits or date of NEW benefit year. This is an extension of the EUC08, which includes tier 1, tier 2, NOW tier 3 has been added on as well as tier 4. In other words, ECU08 that was passed in Nov 2008 by Pres. Bush now encompasses Tier 1,Tier2,Tier3,Tier4. That is why you are eligible for tier 3 benefits because you have received and exhausted Tier 1 and Tier 2. So now,you roll into Tier 3 then into Tier 4. DOES that make any sense.??
Makes sense to me, and that's how I understand it too.

I will say that there are many dates to be concerned with, both in the past and in the future - reachback dates, exhaustion dates, file-by date, etc. It's A LOT to keep having layers and layers built upon for extension after extension after extension. I know it's the job of the consultants to know all of it, but NO consultant knows EVERYTHING about UI, period. Myself included. And we in the local offices rely on information from central office and our regional claim rep (who is good) that we can familiarize ourself with. Information has been slow to get to us, I think many people were afraid to make any kind of statement about eligibility. Even at a staff meeting on Wednesday morning of this week my Manager was unclear about WHO was eligible (how far back eligibility would go). I mean, some people whose claims ended in 2008 or 2007 and beyond - are they eligible? I think the answer is NO, if they didn't receive EUC at all. And MAYBE, if they did receive EUC. Or is it only people who have exhausted benefits in 2009? Are people who are just starting UI right now going to be eligible? Not sure, maybe. We are encouraged in our office not to make definitive statements - it can turn into "that guy back there said that I would be eligible for the extensions when my regular UI ran out". Well at the time your claim was filed, you would have been. I can see your base wage file screen and calculate eligibility and find out whether you're monetarily eligible. But legislation can change and your situation can change. You could fall off a ladder tomorrow and break your legs and not be able to work...if you're not able and available for work, you're not eligible for unemployment.

Just thinking outloud - and thanking everyone for their patience thus far.

Happy New Year.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:44 AM

28 posts, read 54,092 times
My dad exhausted benefitsin August 2009.His benefit year ran out in October. Would you think he qualifies?

Old 01-01-2010, 12:22 PM

Thanks JDLJR and PSDRT. Hopefull i can talk to somebody on Monday and they can fix it. My case is pretty straightforward. Received Tier 1 and Tier 2. Finished receiving Tier 2 in May 2009. Benefit Year ended August 2009. The new BY started August 2009. Received EB and exhausted in Sept 2009 They said, not eligible because Tier 2 exhausted in previous BY. Talking to you guys, i understand that it's wrong. So they have to fix it.
The only thing not sure is how the system made me non-eligible. i am sure there are a lot people in a situation like me, and if it is a computer glitch, it has to be affecting thousands.
Thanks again

Old 01-01-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by member2009 View Post
Thanks JDLJR and PSDRT. Hopefull i can talk to somebody on Monday and they can fix it. My case is pretty straightforward. Received Tier 1 and Tier 2. Finished receiving Tier 2 in May 2009. Benefit Year ended August 2009. The new BY started August 2009. Received EB and exhausted in Sept 2009 They said, not eligible because Tier 2 exhausted in previous BY. Talking to you guys, i understand that it's wrong. So they have to fix it.
The only thing not sure is how the system made me non-eligible. i am sure there are a lot people in a situation like me, and if it is a computer glitch, it has to be affecting thousands.
Thanks again
I hope it turns out that you're eligible - I'll again say I AM NOT SURE since your EUC exhausted in your previous benefit year. But I will say, once again, that to me I don't see what it would matter WHEN EUC was exhausted. To me, if you received EUC Tier 1 and 2, you should be eligible for Tier 3 and 4, regardless of how far back you received the EUC. Please let us know what you find out Monday.

There are bound to be glitches. I think we spotted one in my office on someone's claim on Friday. For whatever reason it said his weekly benefit amount paid $276, but the deposit amount paid was $55. There is no indication of any deductions (taxes, child support, earnings, etc.). We're going to have to ask our Manager or Regional Claims Rep on Monday if she can identify the discrepancy.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvestal View Post
My dad exhausted benefitsin August 2009.His benefit year ran out in October. Would you think he qualifies?
In October did he begin a new benefit year, starting over with either regular UI or brought-forward extension money?

Old 01-01-2010, 07:12 PM

He did not start a new benefit year. The unemployment office hasn't said anything so we haven't done anything. Should he have?

Thank you for your response

Old 01-01-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvestal View Post
He did not start a new benefit year. The unemployment office hasn't said anything so we haven't done anything. Should he have?

Thank you for your response
I wanted to add he exhausted UI, EUC and EB. Should he have started a new claim?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina