Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 04:44 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp80 View Post
Thanks for your response jdljr.

One more question...

For benefit year two, am I correct in thinking that the 1.5 rule discriminates against people who lost their jobs in the first half of a quarter?
Well the 1.5 times rule does not take into account when, during a particular quarter, someone lost their job. It only takes into account the wages in a base period. Many people have a full four quarters to build their first benefit year, and then have only two quarters of wages to build their 2nd benefit year due to being laid off. It's because you only have two quarters to calculate eligibility for the 1.5 times rule that often times people don't meet that eligibility requirement for extensions for their 2nd benefit year. I saw one person's claim today that had more than $10K in one quarter and only $200 in the other quarter. Clearly they don't meet the 1.5x rule in this new benefit year, but they did qualify to receive regular UI in their 2nd benefit year. There are people who do qualify for extensions in their new benefit year - just all depends on what's in the base period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCP View Post
Ok my question is this I got the letter in the mail concerning the Tier 3 and my Tier 3 has since been exhausted as of last week. I called to find out of if I qualify for the Tier 4 and I was told I didn't because I didn't have any money. Prior to getting the Tier 3 I had not recieved any unemployment since June 2009 because I ran out of money, so how is it now I was able to get the Tier 3 but they are saying I can't get the Tier 4? It is really confusing to me because I haven't had luck finding a job and the Tier 3 helped but I want some clear answers and no one seems to have them.
Well I think the rep just wasn't clear in stating her information. If you qualify for Tier 3, you should qualify for Tier 4. It's just that RIGHT NOW Tier 4 is not yet in place. But when they get the programming done for it, my guess is that you would qualify for the Tier 4. There is no way you would receive Tier 4 right now until they get the programming done, so for anyone looking at your claim it looks like you're just out of money...which technically at this point you are. When they do finally get the programming done, it'll be far fewer weeks of benefits than Tier 3 (Tier 3 was UP TO 13 weeks, Tier 4 is UP TO 6 weeks...all depending on the number of weeks your regular UI originally set for). You should also get one additional week of Tier 2.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 PM

15 posts, read 23,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
Well the 1.5 times rule does not take into account when, during a particular quarter, someone lost their job. It only takes into account the wages in a base period. Many people have a full four quarters to build their first benefit year, and then have only two quarters of wages to build their 2nd benefit year due to being laid off. It's because you only have two quarters to calculate eligibility for the 1.5 times rule that often times people don't meet that eligibility requirement for extensions for their 2nd benefit year. I saw one person's claim today that had more than $10K in one quarter and only $200 in the other quarter. Clearly they don't meet the 1.5x rule in this new benefit year, but they did qualify to receive regular UI in their 2nd benefit year. There are people who do qualify for extensions in their new benefit year - just all depends on what's in the base period.
For year two, the 1.5 rule does appear to discriminate against those who lost their jobs during the first half of a quarter.

Example 1:
The current base period is 2008Q4, 2009Q1, 2009Q2, 2009Q3
If salaried person #1 makes $10K per quarter and lost their job on 1-31-2009, then Year 2 total wages is $13,333.
If salaried person #2 makes $10K per quarter and lost their job on 2-28-2009, then Year 2 total wages is $16,667.

Person #1 gets no extensions for year 2 because they were let go during first half of quarter.
Person #2 does qualify for extensions for year 2 because they were let go during second half of quarter.

Example 2:
Person #1 makes $10K per quarter and loses job on 11-30-2008. Year 2 total wages is $16,667.
Base period for year two is 2008Q3, 2008Q4, 2009Q1, 2009Q2

Person #2 makes $10K per quarter and loses job on 01-31-2009. Year 2 total wages is $13,333
Base period for year two is 2008Q4, 2009Q1, 2009Q2, 2009Q3

In this example:
Person #1 will begin receiving unemployment before Person #2.
Person #1 will continue to receive extensions in Year 2, long after Person #2 is ineligible.

Is this correct? If so, then those who lost their jobs during the 2nd half of any quarter are treated much more favorably in NC.

Last edited by bp80; 02-02-2010 at 09:26 PM..

Old 02-02-2010, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,580 times
I have a question concerning the "pull forward". I spoke with a representative last week from the NCESC and she told me that I still had 8 weeks left from last years claim. They have programmers working on the system in order to "pull forward" my benefits before I will be eligible for the Tier 3 extension. She couldn't tell me how long this would take. Does anyone have an idea of how long this "programming" is going to take? I am very frustrated as I'm sure many people are right now.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp80 View Post
For year two, the 1.5 rule does appear to discriminate against those who lost their jobs during the first half of a quarter.

Example 1:
The current base period is 2008Q4, 2009Q1, 2009Q2, 2009Q3
If salaried person #1 makes $10K per quarter and lost their job on 1-31-2009, then Year 2 total wages is $13,333.
If salaried person #2 makes $10K per quarter and lost their job on 2-28-2009, then Year 2 total wages is $16,667.

Person #1 gets no extensions for year 2 because they were let go during first half of quarter.
Person #2 does qualify for extensions for year 2 because they were let go during second half of quarter.

Example 2:
Person #1 makes $10K per quarter and loses job on 11-30-2008. Year 2 total wages is $16,667.
Base period for year two is 2008Q3, 2008Q4, 2009Q1, 2009Q2

Person #2 makes $10K per quarter and loses job on 01-31-2009. Year 2 total wages is $13,333
Base period for year two is 2008Q4, 2009Q1, 2009Q2, 2009Q3

In this example:
Person #1 will begin receiving unemployment before Person #2.
Person #1 will continue to receive extensions in Year 2, long after Person #2 is ineligible.

Is this correct? If so, then those who lost their jobs during the 2nd half of any quarter are treated much more favorably in NC.
Yea, it looks right to me. All UI is based on work and earnings, so if it turns out that someone loses their job in the 2nd half of a quarter, then clearly they potentially have more work and earnings than someone who gets laid off in the first half of the same quarter, because they've worked longer. Further, there are variables that would play into what's in someone's base period. Your example assumes steady, consistent work and earnings in each quarter. Sometimes it doesn't always work out that way and one or more quarters may be reduced by a reduction in the number of hours of work. But I follow your logic.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2010 View Post
I have a question concerning the "pull forward". I spoke with a representative last week from the NCESC and she told me that I still had 8 weeks left from last years claim. They have programmers working on the system in order to "pull forward" my benefits before I will be eligible for the Tier 3 extension. She couldn't tell me how long this would take. Does anyone have an idea of how long this "programming" is going to take? I am very frustrated as I'm sure many people are right now.
From information I got in an email today I believe within the next day or two they're going to be implementing the programming they've been working on to get the pull forwards in place. I would keep in contact with your local office to see what is going on, and if there is something you need to do (like starting to certify each week again).

Old 02-03-2010, 06:21 PM

37 posts, read 97,400 times
JDLJR Heard anything on Tier 4??

Old 02-03-2010, 06:51 PM

767 posts, read 1,848,415 times
My husbands status said something like the week he filed for was in another year? This is different than last week. Sounds like maybe the "pull forward" for tier 4 is getting close?

Old 02-03-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdrt185 View Post
JDLJR Heard anything on Tier 4??
Haven't heard anything about the Tier 4 yet, but hopefully with this pull forward programming implementation happening in the next couple of days the Tier 4 won't be far behind.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
My husbands status said something like the week he filed for was in another year? This is different than last week. Sounds like maybe the "pull forward" for tier 4 is getting close?
The "pull forward" and Tier 4 are two different things, but with each day they're all getting closer.

The "pull forward" is for people that have established a new, regular UI claim in their 2nd benefit year, but didn't qualify for extensions in that new benefit year. So they're "pulling forward" the unused extension money from the previous benefit year. ESC has identified approximately 5,300 individuals waiting for the "pull forward".

The Tier 4 is the next extension for those that have exhausted Tier 3.

It could be that he had to start a new benefit year? If so, and if he is going to be starting over with regular UI, he'll have to serve a new waiting week. If he's just having leftover extension money from his previous year brought forward because he doesn't qualify for a new, regular UI claim, he won't have to serve a new waiting week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina