Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:39 AM

44 posts, read 245,238 times

Advertisements

I've had them in my yard a few times this year. I bought that stuff you put over and around the mound and then water in. It works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 12:15 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Fire ant infestation map
If someone would let something as silly as a fireant dictate where they will live they deserve to have to live in less nice places than NC

Old 07-26-2009, 12:50 PM

717 posts, read 2,810,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
If someone would let something as silly as a fireant dictate where they will live they deserve to have to live in less nice places than NC
That's being quite judgemental on your part. I have researched other posts on fireants on this forum and I am happy to report that I am not the only one who does not want to move somewhere that one must deal with fireants.

Most of those who share my sentiments are from Florida--so they know good and well what we go thru down here in dealing with fireants. You cannot go barefoot in your own yard or on the patio around your pool. You cannot do any kind of yard work or gardening without protective gloves and clothing.

Me thinks you have not had to deal with fireants and have not been stung by them or you would not make such a stupid remark. Dealing with fireants is not the same as dealing with the occassional gator or snake. Fireants are present in the millions in your own yard.

You also must not be aware of the fact that people die from fireant stings and people who have allergic reactions to them can be in serious trouble in a short time. A fireant sting also takes a while to heal. The sting swells, blisters, burns, itches, gets a pus-like head on it--and is often slow to heal.

Besides, if I have the luxury of choosing where I want to live (not have to live), I guess I can take into consideration anything I want to take into consideration. Obviously, you don't have that luxury and your priorities are different--so therefore, don't judge--just hush-up!

Last edited by itsajourney; 07-26-2009 at 01:05 PM..

Old 07-26-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Lol on the sinkhole in your yard. Florida is famous for them. Where in Florida are you? I was in Ft. Lauderdale-not too many sinkholes there.

As I said, not sure about the mountains. Hang in there for a reply from people in that area.
I am in Orlando. They are horrible this year. The little buggers are even eating and tunneling thru the stucco on the house--and no, it's not termites.

We live in a nice area and yards are treated--but I swear, my entire back yard is nothing but fireants. Because the grass is so thick, sometimes it is difficult to see the mounds. One wrong step and you could be covered with them and they sting immediately--and it's never just one sting--they are in multiples.

So, yea--we do have sinkholes around central Florida--but not much in the area I live so far.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:24 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,646,601 times
My daughter's friends live in Winter Haven and she said they have had a real problem this year with fire ants and other bugs. (They were asking her as she is in Jacksonville) They were thinking it was because they have had quite a bit a rain and everything is coming out. Who knows. Maybe they just are taking over everything.

We didn't have too much of a problem where I lived. We were in a Townhouse development and chinch bugs were the problem there so they were constantly spraying the lawns. Perhaps that's why not too much else could survive for any period of time!

They are absolutely no fun. Got a few stings myself and I would personally rather deal with a bee sting than the fire ant's. Just one made my whole foot swell up for a few days. Nasty nasty things.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:41 PM

Catrick--You are absolutely correct--Personally, I would rather deal with a bee sting than a fireant sting. I am just thankful that I am not allergic to either of them. Since I want to spend more time outdoors again--I definitely do not want the fireants in my territory.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:56 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
To all, thanks for your fast replies--I'm crushed as NC has become one of my favorite places.

We moved to Florida from PA--so I've lived farther north. Was hoping to avoid the longer, dreary winters, but I seriously do not want to deal with the fire ants. My suspicion is that the new areas they are invading are only going to get much worse in years to come--kind of like the killer bees I suppose. I am really looking for making that last move. DH and I would like to grow herbs and vegetables. Kind of get back to nature and simple living.

Thanks esp. for the tips about windex/ammonia and deodorant. I didn't know about the windex and my mind needed jogging about the deodorant. I am so glad you brought that up. I had just read that within the last week or so--but couldn't remember what it was I read. I believe the article said it was the aluminum in the deodorant that was the thing that helped.

I have never heard the boiling water thing. We have them all over our yard this year and they are absolutely terrible--zillions of them I am sure. I put traps out or spray them and they just move over a few feet and tunnel up again. We cannot even walk on our patio by the screened in pool. I'm afraid that if I got rid of all of them, I'd have one BIG sinkhole from the miles of ant tunnels which have to be under the ground...

A product called Mosquito Barrier, available on line, is excellent for doing your whole yard.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:01 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Has anyone noticed that fire ants don't seem to be under trees. We have trouble in the sunny areas of our yard, but the areas under the trees don't seem as infested.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:10 PM

983 posts, read 3,989,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
My daughter's friends live in Winter Haven and she said they have had a real problem this year with fire ants and other bugs. (They were asking her as she is in Jacksonville) They were thinking it was because they have had quite a bit a rain and everything is coming out. Who knows. Maybe they just are taking over everything.

We didn't have too much of a problem where I lived. We were in a Townhouse development and chinch bugs were the problem there so they were constantly spraying the lawns. Perhaps that's why not too much else could survive for any period of time!

They are absolutely no fun. Got a few stings myself and I would personally rather deal with a bee sting than the fire ant's. Just one made my whole foot swell up for a few days. Nasty nasty things.

They ARE worse right after a rain because all that water does push them above ground.

BUT.....just because they ARE in NC, doesn't mean where YOU might choose to live is afflicted with them. Like I said, there's not a one to be found in my yard, or the 2 yards on either side of me. But my parents, who live a quarter of a mile down the road DO have them. But it doesn't stop my 72 yo mom from working in her yard. You just learn to be careful and look for mounds and treat them as soon as they appear.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:10 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
LoveMountains, I usually agree with most things you say, but I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. I am so glad my children did not have to deal with these pests. They are mean and dangerous. Just looking at that map makes me think about building a house on our land in Wilkes County and moving there. Then I look over at Branson and see they are in an area that seems to be even colder than our mountains. We spend a lot of money battleing these little buggers and still do not feel safe to go walking in our yard without using caution.

If you are planning to move, that is the time to be deciding what you do and do not want in the area you are moving to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina