Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2006, 11:39 AM

799 posts, read 3,227,028 times

Advertisements

I am so much into the renovation thing, and nostalgia. I would like a HOME, not just a house, but being an artist I'm a stickler for aesthetics. What towns, cities, or areas would be good for me to look at?

Ideally, I'd like something with a little acreage, but even small lots are good if it suits the home, you know? I do some crapentry, have some other DIY skills, and just love a great project...especially when it's my own!

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2006, 12:05 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,799 times
In Raleigh: Oakwood & Mordecai neighborhoods for the Victorians....although most (but certainly not all) are pretty well-preserved already. Boylan Heights, Five Points, Brooklyn, Cameron Park & University Park for the 20s/30s type homes.

Wilmington: areas near the downtown waterfront have a good few Victorians and a good number of 20s-ish bungalows.

Durham: areas around downtown have tons and tons of 1910s/20s/30s/40s era homes that are a good buy and plenty of them are good fixer-uppers! Trinity Park, Duke Park, Old North Durham, Old West Durham, Brightleaf, and Northgate neighborhoods are good starting points.

Winston-Salem: a great deal of homes around the Old Salem area downtown are of historic value. Finding those that aren't already preserved/renovated may be difficult...areas just to the east of that may have more options though.

Chapel Hill/Carrboro: in the "border area" in between the two cities' downtowns, you'll find a lot of 1920s-type "mill houses". Many are used as rentals for students and would be good for fixing up.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:24 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi
I am so much into the renovation thing, and nostalgia. I would like a HOME, not just a house, but being an artist I'm a stickler for aesthetics. What towns, cities, or areas would be good for me to look at?

Ideally, I'd like something with a little acreage, but even small lots are good if it suits the home, you know? I do some crapentry, have some other DIY skills, and just love a great project...especially when it's my own!

Any ideas?
Hey there ibeg4sushi...you might enjoy checking out the following on the internet...it's called: historicproperties

Old 07-12-2006, 12:37 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,487 times
If you aren't dependent on living near a city, I would think that you can find lots of Junkers as my Dad would call them, that need a little TLC. Of course you can find them in town, but the investment is much higher.
If you go toward the foothills and the mountains you will find some stone houses with lots of character - even some craftsman homes on occasion. Towns like Rutherfordton (pronounced rulffdon), or Morganton, Spruce Pine are good choices. Toward the coast in places like Little Washington or Bath or even Elizabeth City, you can still find some good deals on more coastal cottages.
If you're independently wealthy, then it doesn't really matter. You can go to just about any region and find something.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:42 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,408 times
In addition to cities already mentioned, I would also check out Southport (south of Wilmington), Beaufort, Asheville, New Bern.

Don't know if you would find what you're looking for, but those are the cities that first came to mind.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:52 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,473 times
Try checking out a small town and the historic districts. You should find something to work on. Just be aware that most of them can dictate what colors and what you can and cannot add to the houses in the historic districts. They don't want to undermine the authiticity of the original home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina