Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 04:20 PM

170 posts, read 566,239 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, when moving to NC, do you actually have to take the driving and written test? I just thought of that, here when you move to Wa. state, you only have to take the eye test, that's it! I haven't taken the other two in, gosh, 20 some yrs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 04:36 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boys
Just wondering, when moving to NC, do you actually have to take the driving and written test? I just thought of that, here when you move to Wa. state, you only have to take the eye test, that's it! I haven't taken the other two in, gosh, 20 some yrs!

go to ncdot.org

When moving within North Carolina you will need to apply for a duplicate driver's license. And in the event that you move to a county that requires "Emissions Testing" you will need to have your vehicle inspected.

Old 07-13-2006, 05:09 PM

170 posts, read 566,239 times
Thanks, I'll check that website out now, I didn't even think about having to take those tests over, ugh! I hate tests!

Old 07-13-2006, 05:13 PM

787 posts, read 3,582,979 times
If you are required to take the test, you better get a book first. I am usually very good with tests but the last time I had to take it when they were making you take it if you had gotten a ticket since the last time you renewed, I barely passed it. I went in cold thinking good heavens I had been driving for over 20 years. What the heck could be so difficult about it. But I hate questions with pictures and that was what a lot of it was. I don't think I made but about 75 on it. I was stunned. But I thought, oh well, it was passing. They quit doing that thanks heavens about the tickets thing. Funny though because after having to take that blasted test, I haven't had a ticket since 1988. Now I have to renew next month and I am just praying I pass the eye test. Funny how things change. LOL

Old 07-13-2006, 05:58 PM

68 posts, read 296,007 times
I just moved to NC from MA and I went to the DMV last week to get my NC license. They make you take a vision test, a road signs test, and then a 25 question written test. The test is not easy. I passed, but it wasn't a no-brainer.
There are alot of questions related to laws specific to NC, and some questions concerning the NC point system used to rate drivers for disciplinary purposes.
If you are going to go for your NC license, I suggest downloading the drivers manual from the NC DMV website and studying before you go for it.

Len

Old 07-13-2006, 07:07 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,471 times
How long until you have to get a NC license? there's so much going on i probably won't be able to do this anytime soon.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:43 PM

68 posts, read 296,007 times
60 days from the date you establish permanent residence.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:47 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,693,245 times
You're supposed to get your license and vehicle registration within 60 days of moving to another state. I just got my NC license not too long ago, and the written test really was harder than I thought. (I got 21 out of 25 right. You pass if you get 20 right.) Registration in this state is expensive, at least coming from WI. To register our 2 vehicles (a 2001 and a 1998 model) it cost a total of $427.00. Then it was another $60 for the inspection, which we luckily passed. Then in 3 months we'll get a state income tax bill for 1% of the value of our cars. The DMV lady said the state of NC doesn't use Blue Book values to determine how much your car is worth and that they are almost always quite a bit higher than what your car is really worth. I figure our tax bill will be around $250 total. So next year we'll have to pay approx. $30 per vehicle for the stickers, $30 per vehicle for inspection, and state income tax again too. I guess it makes up for having lower property taxes here.... In WI it was $45 a year for the sticker and the emissions test was every 2 years (and it was free of charge!).

Old 07-13-2006, 10:27 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt4fam
You're supposed to get your license and vehicle registration within 60 days of moving to another state. I just got my NC license not too long ago, and the written test really was harder than I thought. (I got 21 out of 25 right. You pass if you get 20 right.) Registration in this state is expensive, at least coming from WI. To register our 2 vehicles (a 2001 and a 1998 model) it cost a total of $427.00. Then it was another $60 for the inspection, which we luckily passed. Then in 3 months we'll get a state income tax bill for 1% of the value of our cars. The DMV lady said the state of NC doesn't use Blue Book values to determine how much your car is worth and that they are almost always quite a bit higher than what your car is really worth. I figure our tax bill will be around $250 total. So next year we'll have to pay approx. $30 per vehicle for the stickers, $30 per vehicle for inspection, and state income tax again too. I guess it makes up for having lower property taxes here.... In WI it was $45 a year for the sticker and the emissions test was every 2 years (and it was free of charge!).
There's no yearly state tax on vehicles in North Carolina. What you're probably talking about is the yearly county property tax. The amount you pay will vary depending on your county of residence. The same goes with the yearly vehicle safety inspection. Not all of North Carolina's 100 counties require the more expensive emissions testing.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:37 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles
Newcomer's Guide
60 pages

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/moving/newnc/newComersGuide/ (broken link)

The Newcomer's Guide contains information about obtaining a North Carolina driver's license, title and registration plates. Also included is information concerning vehicle safety inspections, financial responsibility, property taxes and local licenses. In addition, they have pointed out some of the laws that may be different from those in other states.

Last edited by mm34b; 07-14-2006 at 01:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina