Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 04:13 PM

37 posts, read 200,833 times

Advertisements

What are the lifestyle options in Fayetteville? What area would be the first, second & third choice......Tell me your stories.....Where would you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2006, 05:33 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,272,002 times
Fayetteville would never be my first choice. lol It's just not an attractive, clean or peaceful place to live.

If you have to move to that area, I would choose a place out in the country like Gray's Creek or Raeford. Maybe check out Rockfish, too. Hope Mills is okay (if you can afford to live in a nice neighborhood - like on the lake), but not great.

Ashton Forest (a neighborhood on Hope Mills Rd. in Fayetteville) isn't too bad. Or at least it wasn't last time I was there. That's been several years ago now.

I'm sure there are a few other decent neighborhoods in Fayetteville, but I'm not sure of their locations exactly or their names. Sorry!

Old 07-19-2006, 12:38 PM

586 posts, read 1,547,288 times
I have lived in Fayetteville for the past 8 years and am ready to leave when the opportunity presents itself. I am not sure what you mean by "lifestyle options." Fort Bragg is here which means that it is a military town. Homes are reasonably priced but do not appreciate as well as other areas of the state perhaps due to the number of rentals. The schools are not good so you may need to look into private schools. Thanks Niki for helping me identify what I don't like most about Fayetteville, it is not peaceful. I have lived in Rockfish which I enjoyed the most however the area is being built up and the travel time into Fayetteville is longer than it used to be. Hope my reply has helped. Good luck!

Old 07-19-2006, 11:49 PM

I lived in the Fayetteville area a couple times for short periods, but spent many Summers and holidays there most of my life because most of my family (both sides) live there - Cumberland, Hope Mills, Grays Creek and Fayetteville. I still go down there a couple times a year to visit family.

I've said for years that whoever's in charge in those areas (esp. Fayetteville & Hope Mills) really need to invest in beautification of the area. It's not the area's fault (I know that sounds silly lol), it's just that people don't seem to care. I don't know if it's the fault of the powers-that-be or the citizens or both. Some people who live there really care about making their yards and homes look beautiful (full of gorgeous azaleas and dogwoods), but for the most part the area just isn't pleasing to the eye. And it's incredibly busy (traffic-wise) for an area that isn't really all that big. At least compared to places like Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro.

It's a shame. Fayetteville may have been a nice place to live 60-100 years ago.

All in my opinion, of course.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:55 AM

478 posts, read 2,304,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki
I've said for years that whoever's in charge in those areas (esp. Fayetteville & Hope Mills) really need to invest in beautification of the area. It's not the area's fault (I know that sounds silly lol), it's just that people don't seem to care. I don't know if it's the fault of the powers-that-be or the citizens or both. Some people who live there really care about making their yards and homes look beautiful (full of gorgeous azaleas and dogwoods), but for the most part the area just isn't pleasing to the eye. And it's incredibly busy (traffic-wise) for an area that isn't really all that big. At least compared to places like Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro.

It's a shame. Fayetteville may have been a nice place to live 60-100 years ago.

All in my opinion, of course.
Fayetteville is an entirely military-focused town. There's nothing wrong with that, but when most of the population is young and male and largely transient, the town reflects what this demographic wants. (i.e. lots of bars and fast food and little focus on the domestic parts of life)

The city revolves around men who make short visits back to NC but spend a lot of time away (now it's foreign countries, though in the past Ft. Bragg soldiers still had to travel to other bases pretty regularly). I'm sure that other military towns have to deal with this to some degree, but it seems that there is little interest in making Fayetteville more than just a stop for soldiers and truck drivers.

And then there's the crime ... unfortunately, Fayetteville's attractiveness to transients (due to its proximity to I-95 -- the drug and gun running route of choice) makes it an unfortunate nexxus for people with bad intentions. People blanche at crime statistics in other cities, but per capita wise, Fayetteville's numbers are definitely up there. A lot of the time, the culprits are people from other parts of the country who hop on I-95 and rob a bank or store, then go right back on the interstate and aren't seen again.

Suffice it to say, Fayetteville's not the best place to live, though some of the suburbs are nice, I hear.

Old 07-22-2006, 10:15 PM

95 posts, read 647,173 times
I lived in Fayetteville for 7 years and would never go back. I definitely would not want to raise kids there. I've heard the town described as a cultural wasteland and would agree. I also agree with the above comment of living in Raeford if you must move to Fayetteville.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:02 PM

37 posts, read 200,833 times
Thanks for all the responses.....we will not ever move there. Thanks for proving my point to my husband.

Old 07-23-2006, 06:06 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,909 times
Default Fayetteville's nickname

There's a reason why Fayetteville is called "Fayette-nam".

Old 07-23-2006, 07:11 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Sorry to say this but I grew up in a small town less than an hour from Fayetteville. We called it "the armpit of the south". Not nice, huh? I think its just military and the businesses tend to cater to the military...although I'm not sure why the bars thrive in military towns? Well, yes, I guess its obvious. Vicki

Old 07-23-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
There's a reason why Fayetteville is called "Fayette-nam".
My family (who are from Fayetteville and most of them still live in the area) call it that. lol I didn't realize it was so known.

They also call Hope Mills (outside of Fayetteville) "Hopeless Mills".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina