Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 AM

68 posts, read 195,371 times

Advertisements

My family is trying to move to NC but cannot find health insurance that will cover my pregnancy. We are willing to pay the over $1000 a month for health insurance but the pregnancy is not covered. I can, however, get Medicaid since our family income is so low for a family of 6. Does this make sense when I'm willing to pay?!?!?!?!? If you think the US is not in a health care crisis, think again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 09:40 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,050 times
Is this because they find it pre-existing?

I would never have dreamed of moving during a pregnancy. My insurance covered 100% of my maternity (not in NC) and I would not have given that up for anything during that time.

Dawn

Old 09-24-2009, 09:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
I have lived in another state and had insurance there and it was standard there, too, that if you didn't have insurance PRIOR to pregnancy - or picked up a policy AFTER pregnancy - then the policy did not cover the pregnancy. This may vary state-to-state, but I guess since I had seen that in two states, I assumed all policies were like that.

Apply for Medicaid. If your family can qualify - then that is what you should do. Just remember - qualifications for Medicaid may differ in NC from what your current state regs may be.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:51 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,742,157 times
Yes, it is my understanding that virtually all insurance companies will consider it a "pre-existing condition." I have actually known a couple women who conceived right about the same time they signed up for new insurance and had to go through all sorts of paperwork to try and establish when conception occurred.

Good luck to you, it's a really difficult situation!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,006,260 times
If you think about the reasoning it kind of makes sense. A person who did not have insurance before getting pregnant goes out and gets a policy. Even if they do pay $1,000 per month, the insurance company will only get between $7,000 - $8,000 back. Labor, delivery, office visit will most certainly come out to more than that. I think they have to assume if you did not may for insurance before you got pregnant will drop the policy after. I agree with Ani, go the Medicaid route if you qualify.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:02 AM

Please, whatever you do . . . check out the Medicaid rules here very carefully and do not assume you qualify. Did you already drop your other insurance? I am assuming - it is not portable to another state?

I am confused as to how you can afford to pay $1000/mo for insurance and then still qualify for Medicaid here, so that is why I am emphasizing checking NC's rules out. Just don't want you to get caught up in a really bad situation!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:05 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,557,216 times
I have a friend who got Medicaid for Pregnant Women here and it was very easy. Just go down and fill out the paperwork. Bring your drivers license, birth certificate, and a couple bills w/ your name and address on them. I went w/ her and the whole process took about an hour tops.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:24 AM

68 posts, read 195,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
If you think about the reasoning it kind of makes sense. A person who did not have insurance before getting pregnant goes out and gets a policy. Even if they do pay $1,000 per month, the insurance company will only get between $7,000 - $8,000 back. Labor, delivery, office visit will most certainly come out to more than that. I think they have to assume if you did not may for insurance before you got pregnant will drop the policy after. I agree with Ani, go the Medicaid route if you qualify.

That's just it; we are currently insured and there will be no lapse in coverage. NC happens to be a HIPAA state which means they cannot exclude preexisting conditions; pregnancy is excluded. We were told by private insurers that we would qualify for Medicaid because, although my husband makes about $40K a year, we are a family of 6...without the baby. I looked into Inclusive Health whihc has a maternity rider, but I have to be a resident for 30 days before I can apply. I have looked into everything! As for not moving, sometimes life makes decisions for you. Our house is sold...and I am pregnant, hence the move.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytwingle View Post
That's just it; we are currently insured and there will be no lapse in coverage. NC happens to be a HIPAA state which means they cannot exclude preexisting conditions; pregnancy is excluded. We were told by private insurers that we would qualify for Medicaid because, although my husband makes about $40K a year, we are a family of 6...without the baby. I looked into Inclusive Health whihc has a maternity rider, but I have to be a resident for 30 days before I can apply. I have looked into everything! As for not moving, sometimes life makes decisions for you. Our house is sold...and I am pregnant, hence the move.
So are you here now? You need to go get the paperwork for Medicaid and make sure you qualify - do NOT take anyone's word for it except someone from DSS.

Income is not the only determinant for whether or not you qualify for Medicaid - that is why I would not trust anyone's word on this except someone from DSS.

NC DMA: How to Apply for Medicaid

Locations & Contacts (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/DSS/Services+for+Seniors+and+the+Disabled/Locations.htm - broken link)

Old 09-24-2009, 05:15 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,006,260 times
I found this link:

Individual Health Insurance Sold by Private Insurers | North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina