Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,896 times

Advertisements

I've lived in PA, NC, FL AZ, OK, MD, MI, for work and job transfers, and visited many many more to see friends and family... and
Ya know what, You will be happy WHEREVER you are if you are a HAPPY person, MISERABLE wherever you are if you are a miserable person..... GET OFF YOUR DUFF, volunteer yourself to others to improve wherever you live and you will meet great people and you WILL BE HAPPY AND LOVE WHEREVER YOU LIVE!!!!
just my opinion, jacqui
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 08:09 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquiwatson View Post
I've lived in PA, NC, FL AZ, OK, MD, MI, for work and job transfers, and visited many many more to see friends and family... and
Ya know what, You will be happy WHEREVER you are if you are a HAPPY person, MISERABLE wherever you are if you are a miserable person..... GET OFF YOUR DUFF, volunteer yourself to others to improve wherever you live and you will meet great people and you WILL BE HAPPY AND LOVE WHEREVER YOU LIVE!!!!
just my opinion, jacqui
How true true true......too many people are looking for the "golden ring" of happiness and never realize it comes from within....

Old 06-17-2007, 07:41 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquiwatson View Post
just my opinion, jacqui
Well it's reassuring to know that if, for some reason, I were to ever land in jail that as long as I keep a stiff upper lip and be a happy person I will be happy wherever I live.

If I were to land in Iraq or Afghanistan, as long as I'm a happy go lucky kind of guy I'll be happy and love living anywhere in that region.

I might not have much to eat in Ethiopia, but as long as I get off my duff, volunteer myself and meet great people I will be as happy as can possibly be.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:23 PM

77 posts, read 238,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Well it's reassuring to know that if, for some reason, I were to ever land in jail that as long as I keep a stiff upper lip and be a happy person I will be happy wherever I live.

If I were to land in Iraq or Afghanistan, as long as I'm a happy go lucky kind of guy I'll be happy and love living anywhere in that region.

I might not have much to eat in Ethiopia, but as long as I get off my duff, volunteer myself and meet great people I will be as happy as can possibly be.

Too funny! But so true. I'm sure if you just convince the inmates to keep that stiff upper lip and just BE happy, THEY"LL BE HAPPY! Geesh! What a bunch of hogwash.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:09 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks View Post
Too funny! But so true. I'm sure if you just convince the inmates to keep that stiff upper lip and just BE happy, THEY"LL BE HAPPY! Geesh! What a bunch of hogwash.

The whole point being is that the idea of, "It's all what you make of it" really doesn't hold true. You can internally negotiate with yourself morning, noon and night. You can involve yourself within your new community and make all of these new friends. You either love where you are or you don't. If you have to keep working internally to love where you are, then you really don't belong there in the first place.

And at this stage in my game, personally, I'm not about to settle for merely "liking", either.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:29 AM

713 posts, read 3,929,917 times
Smile Great people almost everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandevder View Post
It is what you make it! I would choose NC over CT anyday! The people here are some of the nicest I have ever met. There are many really fun things to do with the family. I am not paying taxes out through the nose. I get the mountains and the ocean. OK, I can go on and on...let's just say I am glad to have left CT and come to this beautiful state!
Some people aren't happy no matter where they are, and others can find happiness anywhere.

We have lived in lots of places and have found almost all of them very friendly if you take the first step. The exception would be a small Nova Scotia coastal village where everyone seemed to resent strangers.

We've recently started boating and have found boaters to really friendly and helpful people.

I have decided that is one of the reasons the area near Cape Carteret and Emerald Isle has turned out to be such a good move for us.

The other reason is that there is a mixture of people from all over. There are no large employers (US Military doesn't count) to require folks to move to the area.

People come here by choice only. Still it is not for everyone. Though there is water everywhere, boating is more of a challenge here than in lakes, and some people don't enjoy the challenge.

We have some neighbors moving back to Virginia because the husband doesn't like watching for channel markers.

Still like this picture I took yesterday of people on a sand bar (http://coastalnc.org/beachboatparty - broken link) near the Point at Emerald Isle shows, lots of people have fun in North Carolina's waters.

From the mountains to the coast, I think North Carolina has a lot to offer. It's not perfect. I wasn't very fond of the road use tax, but I wanted to live on the coast, and I was born in North Carolina so moving back here was coming home after living in Canada, Maryland, and Virginia.

I would also agree that trusting a life changing decision to someone you don't know is a little crazy. We spent three years looking for the right spot in North Carolina, and I've been coming to the NC coast for over 55 years.

We all have things which are important to us no matter where we live. When we moved from Columbia, Md to Roanoke, Va. All five of us in the family made a list of what was good and bad about both places. Roanoke won, so we moved.

Once you make a move, you should make the best of it or just go back home. We lived near some Californians in Roanoke, they went on and on about how wonderful San Diego was.

When they moved back to the west coast, they decided San Diego was no longer a great spot and ended up in Washington State because of family. They're happy there and I'm happy for them.

Here are some peaceful shots of the White Oak River that I took last night while kayaking. I cannot think of anyone who would not enjoy a sunset over a river or a lake.

Last edited by dsobotta; 06-18-2007 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: left out some letters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina