Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2007, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 5,012 times

Advertisements

Can you recommend a town between Goldsboro & Willmington NC? Schools are no issue.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 06:12 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times
Snow hill New Bern

Old 05-09-2007, 12:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhomimo View Post
Can you recommend a town between Goldsboro & Willmington NC? Schools are no issue.

Thanks.
OK, so schools aren't an issue - how about jobs? If so, what fields are you looking for? From my experience, it's retirees who are making up the large majority of landowners down here, so they're looking for location and not employment.....and driving property values through the ceiling in the process.

How close do you want to be to the ocean? how much are you willing/can afford to spend?

I relocated down here (Wilmington/Jacksonville area) from DC area in 2004, and have watched the property values go insane since 2001...granted not much is selling now, but still doesn't stop folks from asking million plus for any land close to the ocean. My folks live second row in Topsail Island and paid almost 300 grand for a nice rental house in 2001, which is now worth over a million (like they could ever sell it for that when 70% of the houses on the island have been for sale for almost two years on spec). When they finally retired here two years ago, they discovered that it was cheaper to add almost 2000 sq ft to their house than it was to find a larger house in the same proximity to the beach. They're second row, and the duplex right next door is going for just over a million a side. Then there's that whole issue of how much you're willing to spend for insurance..........

Me, I'm happy renting a trailer just a little inland - a few miles north of Wilmington and about 50 miles south of Jacksonville.......I'm 30 minutes to the unpopulated beaches at Topsail, and 15 minutes to having to pay to park at the 'restricted' beaches at Wrightsville.....I chooose to go to Topsail for the free parking (in folks driveway) - and enjoy the fact that even on 4th of July, there's still only a few dozen folks on the beach.

If you're willing to drive a little further to the beaches, there's lots of great properties in the area that you mention - just remember that a lot of it is swamp, so I'd suggest visiting it in the spring during bug season to see what your quality of outdoor life would be (take notice of how much outdoor area is screened in, and you'll get the idea - most places, you 'just don't go outside after dark' during bug season, which is usually April-October).

It's still a beautiful area to live, provided you're willing to take those things into account..........me, I grew up on the swamp in southern VA Beach (military brat), so I'm used to all that stuff

Peace,

Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina