Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:18 PM

19 posts, read 32,525 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to move our family from NJ to Greenville - we visited last summer and LOVED it. We were thinking that we are going to rent for a year or so (we own now) until we are "sure" that we are where we want to raise our young children. We need to be close to shopping (most impt. groceries, necessities) and a college and some kid friendly places like parks, playgrouns, etc.

Any thoughts on this area? The one thing I am concerned with is the amount of overcrowding when ECU is in session. can anyone shed some insight to traffic, noise, etc?

Our backup area is Fayetteville. does anyone have any opinions on which place is better and why? I would certainly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 05:05 AM

402 posts, read 2,211,247 times
I have two young children, and I would live in Greenville far before I'd live in Fayetteville (although honestly, I don't care for Greenville either). I remember when I interviewed there 8 years ago (Fayetteville), the one thing I remembered was, "is there a nudie-bar on EVERY corner?"

Old 05-17-2007, 06:47 AM

27 posts, read 86,714 times
Do you recomend any areas around Greenville? I too have two children 13 & 14 and need a kid friendly area with a good school system

Old 05-17-2007, 06:52 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
I live just south of Greenville and my son and wife work there. There can be quite a bit of traffic at the rush hours (7,12 and 5) but it's nothing like I'm used to like we had on the Washington, DC capital beltway. Just like anyplace else the further out you go from downtown the quieter it gets.

Pitt County (where most of the building is taking place) is doing a pretty good job of keeping the roads from becoming too crowded.

BTW, Pitt County as a whole only has a few of those bars and none of them are in Greenville. They also have a law on the books that basically outlaws those types of places and just as soon as the lawsuits settle out the remaining places will probably be closed.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:59 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc126 View Post
Do you recomend any areas around Greenville? I too have two children 13 & 14 and need a kid friendly area with a good school system
The DH Conley school district is the best that Greenville and Pitt County has to offer in a public school. East and south of Greenville is the area that you're looking for.

Pitt County has a great search tool available. It's called OPIS (Online Parcel Information System). It can be found at http://gis.pittcountync.gov/website/opis/ (broken link). When you find a property or house that you like you just go to OPIS and look it up. OPIS will provide you with a ton of info rangeing from flood plains, new highway routes, zoning, school districts, fire department districts and all kinds of stuff.

Old 05-17-2007, 12:21 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,005 times
I lived in Greenville for 7 years. I now live in NYC (Brooklyn).
Its going to be a huge culture shock for you, but If you are determined to move there I would suggest that you move toward the Winterville side of town.
When I first moved there I loved it too, but soon got tired of anti-yankee rhetoric. Of course, lots of Yankees live there and seem to love it. In fact the guy who owns the big Toyota dealership is from NJ originally.
Have you looked further West? I much prefer that side of the state. Four seasons without the brutal humid summers.
Fayetteville is the toilet bowl of NC.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:27 PM

22 posts, read 141,108 times
Fayetteville is more of a "military" oriented town versus Greenville which is more of a "college" town. I graduated from ECU and now still live in NC more so closer to the mountains. Greenville is really CROWDED so to speak when there is a home football game. Mainly all the main roads in Greenville become over crowded!!! Its a nice place to live if you are "college age" but I am not so sure about with kids!!! Not real sure what there is around for the "kids" versus what there is around for the "college kids". Fayetteville is more ARMY town and more military oriented - due to Fort Bragg being there!! Strip clubs are abundant - where as in Greenville its night clubs. LOL....so guess it really is a close call. Not sure how it would be trying to raise kids in either place. But best of luck to you!!!

Old 05-18-2007, 08:20 PM

449 posts, read 1,126,382 times
Quote:
You will be hard pressed to find good schools it Pitt County. Go to the great schools web site. I have a 12 yr old boy-we moved here about 10 mths ago and I am hugely disappointed with his school-and I have been to others here, It's a matter of finding the "least horrible" school here. Now I know why many of my coworkers who have transfered here have their kids in private schools

We have to leave this area. It is affordable for me as a single mom-but not at the expense of my son's education. I guess you get what you pay for. I looked into schools along the coast and they rated better, but of course cost of housing etc is a little higher. We will either go back to Florida or go further North-possibly virginia.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:40 AM

27 posts, read 86,714 times
My childrens education is most important to me. That is why I am so open for suggestions on which towns have better schools. I would like to be close to Raleigh, in the area between there and Greenville.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:22 AM

449 posts, read 1,126,382 times
Quote:
My childrens education is most important to me. That is why I am so open for suggestions on which towns have better schools. I would like to be close to Raleigh, in the area between there and Greenville.
I'm sure the Raleigh area has better schools-but the small towns between here and Raleigh (Rocky Mnt,Wilson etc) also leave a lot to be desired. The Winterville area of Greenville is a little better. But overall it's very disappointing. Please check out greatschoolsdotnet (can I post that??). Look at test scores etc for Pitt Cty schools, look at the individual schools & you'll see what I am talking about. Winterville is also Pitt cty-also broaden your search by adding addl miles to it. Maybe you will feel differently than I-doubt it though I think the high school drop out rate in this area is around 64% or close to it) I have found the teachers in my son's school to be very indifferent, and trying to communicate with them has been challenging at best. Though I imagine they are underpaid. good luck keep us posted.pm me if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina