Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 06:09 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Most social services programs do have fraud departments; if you can slyly ascertain identifying info on people you suspect to be committing Food Stamp fraud, send it in! With the state budget in the toilet these days, state and county agencies are looking to cut anywhere they can.
There are two separate issues: fraud and legal misuse.

I'm sure there is fraud going on, but the junk food isn't part of it. It's allowed - it's just not a good law! I agree that food stamps should only be for food with nutritional value (and reasonable cost).

The people observed could have purchased a car and gotten locked into a cellphone contract before their money troubles started, but I know that in many cases we are paying for food assistance for people who do have other options. And, in other cases, yes, there is fraud.

Thanks for encouraging people to report it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 07:35 PM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
When women with young children are on the WIC program, there are stickers throughout the store indicating which nutritional items are eligible for the WIC benefit. There should be the same sort of designations for food stamp eligible items.

Someone I work with who also works at the local DSS said the reason they don't limit the food to nutritional items, and allow the junk food, it so that the food stamp recepient won't feel "stigmatized". Can you believe that? What a load of crap. Remember, these benefits are paid for with the dollar that you and I work for. Well, then why not go ahead and allow them all the booze and tobacco they want to purchase as well?

Personally, for the short time I was eligible, I was thankful for the help. If they had wanted to designate certain items as being "not allowed" with the food stamp card because they were pure junk food with no nutritional value, I would not have had a bit of problem with it. Of course now, I work "too much" to qualify. And, I'm to old to produce another dependant, oh well!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:09 PM

7 posts, read 21,831 times
Well I've worked in a grocery store for the past 4 1/2 years, and all the time I see people using their EBT cards for steaks and lobster, then they sell them to drug dealers (The security cops can be very talkative when you get to know them). I also had a lady in my line just before christmas buy stuff to make a couple dozen batches of cookies and she admited to me that she sells them off. Nice 100% profit huh? I've also had a bunch of older guys buy 300 dollars worth of breakfast foods just to feed all these older guys who were going on a camping trip. Just remember, for everyone of these people there are probably at least *I hope* 10 people who use the EBT cards responsibly and feed their children with that assistance.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:49 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,918,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post

The people observed could have purchased a car and gotten locked into a cellphone contract before their money troubles started, but I know that in many cases we are paying for food assistance for people who do have other options. And, in other cases, yes, there is fraud.

But when the person comes in wearing dirty clothes with a bandana on their head, for some reason I don't think they had a $60,000+ year salary job that could have paid for their very nice vehicles before they had to start using EBT. I'm not saying all were like this, but most were.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
But when the person comes in wearing dirty clothes with a bandana on their head, for some reason I don't think they had a $60,000+ year salary job that could have paid for their very nice vehicles before they had to start using EBT. I'm not saying all were like this, but most were.
Maybe they'd been working in the garden.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,569 times
Wow, the lady just asked where she can find out info from and look at all the heated comments......I just wanted to say that people are TOO judgemental these days. I am not saying I have never been like that and I do see what people are saying about those who "milk" the government for what it's worth and are driving these nice cars, wearing nice clothes, etc etc...BUT you never know, they may have some mad money coming in from child support, disability, or may have even gotten a killer deal on the vehicle or had it way before the food stamps were applied for. I just got a Dooney and Burke pocketbook for Christmas from a family member and I'm not going to carry it in with me while purchasing food with food stamps just for the simple reason that I don't want anyone judging me when they don't even know why I'm on them to begin with. I have 3 kids and stay at home with them and my husband was in a car accident and was out of work for 3 months and even though it was filed through workers comp we weren't bringing in NEARLY what we usually did and it's just now affecting us and that's why I'm on them.....I just wanted to let that out because you should stand back and see how your judging someone...Always remember when you're pointing the finger at someone.....3 fingers are pointing back at you with your own hand.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 AM

236 posts, read 552,760 times
Well I can with certainty say people are scamming the system. I remember taking a a lady into the county office. They refused to help her and she was pregnant. I had a conversation with the worker. What I said was: how can you deny her? She needs assistance temporarily. She went back to her office. This lady was approved that day. As I looked around there were over 30 people in this office. I could hear the scams going on. People were talking about what they would say and how to act. Essentially a pack of lies and fraud. When I walked outside I saw people getting out of expensive calls, kids with brand new clothes, shoes (nikes, etc,)jewelry, purses, you name it they had it. This type of fraud goes on everyday in California. How I know you wonder? I lived there. I am not being critical of the person asking for information on Food Stamps. The truth is just being exposed. I hope the person requesting the information finds a job. Because they do not want to go this way. They look into every facet of your life. In 2004 work for me and other residents of the State Of California was slow. I decided to go in for temporary assistance. What I was told floored me. The worker told me: "We have decided not to approve you?" She went to the back and they reviewed my account. My assumption was other workers. My work income was about $900.00. A taxpaying citizen you deny. As I turned to my son. He said: "You knew they were going to deny you." Why bother coming here. If I were starving I would go to the food bank. In 2005 the economy continually begin to tank. Time to move. In order to accomplish this I had to make the decision to leave California. This was not hard at all. High cost, taxes, no jobs, high rent, help to others who commit fraud and none for those who really need it. I have a full-time job with benefits and am attending college. You can report fraud. Only about 30% of these cases will be verified and prosecuted. Some is due to low staffing issues and some is not. Many just do not care. Who suffers? The taxpayer. Everyone I want you to donate canned and dry goods to your local food banks. As a community we must help each other in good and bad times.

Last edited by PrincessJoyce; 01-05-2010 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: Food Stamp Fraud

Old 01-05-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaof3nc View Post
Wow, the lady just asked where she can find out info from and look at all the heated comments......I just wanted to say that people are TOO judgemental these days. hand.
The fact that you needed the help and may be using it responsibly does not change the fact that the system is often abused.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:46 PM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
When a husband is out of a job, he can stay home with the kids and the mother can try to find work herself. This is what is happening in a lot of families. The days when a famliy had the luxury of living on just one income ended, for most average workers, a long time ago. I think a lot of families are on food stamps because the mother is doesn't want to go out and secure employment, even though the family really needs it to make ends meet. It's not fun to go out and work and raise kids too, but believe me, it CAN be done. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:30 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
When a husband is out of a job, he can stay home with the kids and the mother can try to find work herself. This is what is happening in a lot of families. The days when a famliy had the luxury of living on just one income ended, for most average workers, a long time ago. I think a lot of families are on food stamps because the mother is doesn't want to go out and secure employment, even though the family really needs it to make ends meet. It's not fun to go out and work and raise kids too, but believe me, it CAN be done. Just my 2 cents.
I think you underestimate the high unemployment rate....yes, your suggestion would be ideal....but the jobs have to be out there to find....and there are requirements and limitations on how long you can receive the benefits....if you make less than $150 per week here, and are on foodstamps...they automatically sign you up for work with the NC ESC....but, there are still no jbs.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina