Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 05:11 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times

Advertisements

NC summers in areas above 2,000+ feet are pretty good. If it wasn't for the mountains, I'd be out of here. Do not like the summers in the Piedmont or Coastal Plain regions.

Temperature - The most important single influence contributing to the variability of North Carolina climate is altitude. In all seasons of the year, the average temperature varies more than 20 degrees Fahrenheit (° F) from the lower coast to the highest elevations. The average annual temperature at Southport on the lower coast is nearly as high as that of interior northern Florida, while the average on the summit of Mount Mitchell is lower than that of Buffalo, New York. Differences in temperatures over the various parts of the State are no less pronounced in summer than in winter. The warmest days are found in the interior rather than near the coast in summer. The average daily maximum temperature at mid-summer exceeds 92 at Goldsboro and Fayetteville, for example, while on the southernmost part of the coast it is 89° F. The mid-July average afternoon high temperature atop Mount Mitchell is only 68, while over widely populated areas in the Mountain Division the figure is around 85° F. Morning temperatures average about 20° F degrees lower than those in the afternoon except along the immediate coast, where the daily range is only 10 to 15 degrees.

Humidity - The average relative humidity does not vary greatly from season to season but is generally the highest in winter and lowest in spring. The lowest relative humidities are found over the southern Piedmont, where the year around average is about 65 percent. The highest are along the immediate coast, averaging around 75 percent. The least amount of actual moisture is found in the higher mountains. The lower temperatures, however, result in relative humidities that are about the same as elsewhere in the State.

National Weather Service

You can check to see what the normal temperatures for various locations in the state here - http://www.sercc.com/climateinfo/his...orical_nc.html

Southeast Regional Climate Center

Last edited by mm34b; 05-21-2007 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 07:07 PM

770 posts, read 3,679,796 times
I am very familiar with weather in northern NY state. I moved to Charlotte, NC when I was 23 years old. I loved the weather. Sure it gets hot in July and August, but everything is air conditioned. It also does not seem to have real high humidity.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:12 PM

586 posts, read 1,546,034 times
I have lived in the Hudson Valley and currently live in the SE part of NC. It seems about the same to me in terms of stagnating heat, however, it always cooled down at night up north, while the temp does not drop much at night during the summer. As the other posters said, this has been a very nice spring but usually we are already very hot, with the heat lasting through October.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:30 PM

6 posts, read 22,821 times
Live here long enough, you'l lfind that not only can you not take the heat, you daren't go back and face the cold!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:11 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moremoremore View Post
Thanks guys...I appreciate the info. I'm very bummed out...I'm not sure I could handle that heat...But it's better to find out NOW
Don't get bummed out!!! Different people's definition of "too hot/humit/swelltering" is very relative. The climate in NC varies GREATLY from the coast to the mountains. I, like you, can't stand the really high humidity and heat. That's why I would never want to live in the eastern 1/3 of the state. But I live in the Charlotte area and really have no problem with the summer weather. Most areas of the country I've found to be more uncomforable in the summers than the NC Piedmont (any coastal area south of New England, any gulf coast state, and nearly all of the midwest). I've been many times to NYC in the summer, and I find it more uncomfortable there than here in the Piedmont region. The mountains, especially around Boone and Newland, are heavenly in the summers. It might be good to visit, if you can, to see what you think. Even my definition of "tolerable" may not be in line with yours. Good luck!!!

Old 05-23-2007, 07:50 AM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
Quote:
Thanks guys...I appreciate the info. I'm very bummed out...I'm not sure I could handle that heat...But it's better to find out NOW
An ounce of prevention...

Old 05-23-2007, 10:35 AM

16 posts, read 60,166 times
Quote:
Just remember, that's what AC is for.

We moved here last year during August, during the 110 degree heatwave that seemed to last a couple of weeks. It was HOT. Sweltering hot. So hot that going into an 80 degree house felt amazing. *laugh*

But we dealt with it. And when the weather cooled down to the 80s we felt wonderful. There's lots to do inside as well as out if you need to get cooled off during the afternoons. And people seem to spend more time in their cars, etc. here than I remember from visiting NYC; we were outside all the time. That makes a difference; I can take the heat for 45 minutes if I know I don't have to be in it all day.

So yeah, the weather *does* get hot. And it stays warmish through a good portion of the year. But, other than mowing the lawn, I didn't find it too beastly.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:06 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I'm an NC native and I hate the heat too. If I get overly hot, I end up with horrible headaches and fatigue. You'd think I'd be used to it but I guess it's probably jusy internal programming. I'm already dreading the hot humid months ahead. I hate it when you walk out the door at 10 am and you're already sweating by the time you get in your car!

I deal with it by staying indoors for the hottest parts of the day (between 12 and 5) or we go to the pool or the ice skating rink or someplace else cool we can think of. If I go out, then I'm only "out" long enough to drive somewhere in my AC cooled car. My DH is from India and loves to call me a wimp!!! LOL

Old 05-23-2007, 12:07 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
It actually got to 110 degrees?? Oh my, and I thought I left all of that behind in CA. I understand the humidity does make it seem hotter but at 110 I can't even begin to imagine how horrible that was with the humidity. Now I am really concerned and I just bought a home in New London NC. I'm really worried.......I don't do heat well. I did check the weather before moving but never saw temperatures like what I have been reading here. And no relief at night either. Hmmmmmmm.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:17 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I don't remember it ever being 110 degrees, but even if it did, that's not what it's normally like. It's usually more like 90 and occassionally the heat index will make it feel around 100. If it got that hot, they'd have heat index warnings out telling people to stay indoors and limit activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina