Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:24 PM

560 posts, read 2,849,720 times

Advertisements

Picked up my 2007 Saturn Ion 2 Sedan last night for just over $16k including the taxes and tags. Great on gas and handles the rolling hills just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 01:24 PM

26 posts, read 103,321 times
Have you considered the Powell Motors' Homer?
Image:Homer dreamcar.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-05-2007, 01:48 PM

62 posts, read 257,622 times
Toyota Prius. There is no need for a daily driver being a 4x4 or any SUV/truck for that matter.

If you want to go mudding, drive on the outer banks beaches, or go to Uwharrie and tackle their technical off road trials, then and only then buy a 4x4.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:10 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
http://www.mini.lv/upload_pic/Krasas/CooperS/850_non_metallic_paintwork_pepper_white.jpg (broken link)

Highly recommend this car....great on twisty mountain roads....it makes me smile every time I see it

Old 06-05-2007, 02:14 PM

55 posts, read 353,620 times
How about a limo with a personal driver, just joking.

I saw someone mention a Honda Civic. I drove a Honda Civic from RI to Raleigh area and onto Dallas Texas in the mid 70's. No problem even then with hills and such.

Although today it might be a bit scary with all the huge vehicles sharing the roads with you.

At present I live in Northern Arizona 7000 ft elevation and yes we get snow. Even here many fuel economy cars are sufficent. I rarely used 4 wheel drive and traded in my SUV for a minivan, which is necessary as I have a child that uses a wheelchair that doesn't collapse.

The used car lot of the dealer was full of SUV's. At least here the mindset has changed.

I have noticed more and more smaller vehicles being bought. Family down the street traded their monster Escalade for a small car. I haven't a clue what their MPH was on it.

It still comes down to personal perference and what you can afford. If you are 6'4" and have a long commute a small car might not do. Then again saving 100's of dollars a month might be worth a bit of discomfort.

I am looking forward to visiting the area at the end of summer or early fall.

Linda

Old 06-05-2007, 02:44 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erazo13 View Post
Thank you for your responses so far. I would be going to the mountains on weekends often to go hiking with my fiance and our two boxers. What else do you advise?
We make trips up to the mountains 12 months a year to kayak, which usually means in crappy weather on dirt/gravel logging roads. We've never had trouble with either my accord or my wifes subaru. My suggestion would be a front wheel or all wheel drive hatchback (so you can stick the dogs in the back). Honda fit, subarus, matrix/vibe will all do fine.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:58 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
http://www.mini.lv/upload_pic/Krasas/CooperS/850_non_metallic_paintwork_pepper_white.jpg (broken link)

Highly recommend this car....great on twisty mountain roads....it makes me smile every time I see it

I smile too! It reminds me of the car my dad used to drive when we would go and visit family in canada...........

If you have things to haul/move etc buy a truck. We have a boat and have a truck to haul it..............I drive a hybrid escape which I love. It depends on what you need personally and the type of car you like.

Leigh

Old 06-05-2007, 02:59 PM

115 posts, read 395,931 times
I'm not sure if it's available in Durham, but there are a number of active biodiesel cooperatives in North Carolina. If you consider a truck, consider a diesel. No retrofitting of parts, and biodiesel gets better mileage, less engine wear & tear, and much cleaner emissions.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:02 PM

115 posts, read 395,931 times
Or perhaps a VW diesel like a jetta or passat wagon.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:06 PM

620 posts, read 2,119,278 times
I have an Audi A4. It is an awesome car - fast and GREAT on gas mileage (and the price tag isn't too bad either). It costs me about $35-40 to fill up now (which is still pretty cheap) and I get 500 to 530 miles on a full tank. You can also get this car in "quattro" which is four/all wheel drive or just two wheel drive like I have. I love my Audi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina