Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 01:38 PM

5 posts, read 13,585 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to a small town situated near a bigger town.
1. by small I mean up to 15,000 or so people.
2 by bigger I mean around 50,000 more or less.

What are some towns to look at? We are coming to look around over thanksgiving and I would just like a place to start. Will want to rent to start, then look to buy after we assess the market. The Rocky Mount area looks to be kind of what we want, but there are so many mixed reviews.

What is the job competition like for clerical/office jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 02:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,562,150 times
There is alot of small towns in this state so I guess the primary thing is for you to see which area has more job availibity and pay that you desire.

The next thing would be to decide if you want to live in a suburb of one of the larger cities such as Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point Raliegh, Charlotte, Asheville or Wilmington or a city such as Rocky Mount that is a little further from those North Carolina larger cities. Also keep in mind other than the suburbs of these cities the other cities may not be to embracing to outsiders even in the work force.

Small towns have less jobs than a larger city and therefore the job market will be tight due to lack of variance in type of jobs for that area and the tight knit of the community.

I am sorry I am being vague but I could list 100''s of cities that could fit your criteria but if you check out city-data demographics you will see alot of towns match your criteria.
You will also see what the industry and wage that is custom for each city and other information regarding each town.
North Carolina Bigger Cities (over 6000 residents)

Old 10-22-2007, 02:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,800,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana76 View Post
We are looking to relocate to a small town situated near a bigger town.
1. by small I mean up to 15,000 or so people.
2 by bigger I mean around 50,000 more or less.

What are some towns to look at? We are coming to look around over thanksgiving and I would just like a place to start. Will want to rent to start, then look to buy after we assess the market. The Rocky Mount area looks to be kind of what we want, but there are so many mixed reviews.

What is the job competition like for clerical/office jobs?
I would suggest you take a look at Greensboro and the surrounding towns. Greensboro is the size you want to be near (65,000?). That area has the some of the best home values and a good job market too. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina