Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2007, 11:52 AM

15 posts, read 51,859 times

Advertisements

I want to move to an area where it is nice, crime is not rampant (I am realisitc grew up in south central Los Angeles I understand crime does happen) and is not the primary issue in the city I live in. So in a nut shell, I really need some advice.

Where do I start? (Websites, agencies, etc.) I plan to visit what ever areas I find interesting this summer but I know nothing about NC except that it has a high % of African Americans and the cost of living is great (anything is great compared to California) and that there are tornados or is it hurricanes?

What are the prospects of single black men in the area vs. women? What is social scene like for professionals/night life?

Also, is there a demand for MBA's in management?

I do not have the income to purchase a home but would prefer a nice sized townhome for a single person. I am from California and I love the beach but I am not sure I can handle a tornando/hurricane? Other native Californians who have experience please let me know how it really is.

My goal is to find a state/city/new location no later than December/January
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 12:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
I would probably begin trying to find a job that you would like with your skills.

I knew in the previous month companies in the Charlotte area I was doing job search with wanted someone with mba on their resumes so their is jobs out there.

Tornadoes can happen but there is no safe area in the state from them but NC isnt in tornado alley.

I hear tornado warnings all the time but been in this state since the 70's and never actually seen one (knock on wood).

Hurricanes yes they are a good possibility and if they are concern for you I would probably avoid east of raliegh.

We have had damage inland even in mountains with mountain slides inland flooding, and wind damange. I live close to Charlotte and I find them fascinating I do not live in low lying area and only worry about tree falling on house but same as tornado it such a rare event.

I would look at like you do of earthquakes they can happen but rare but know what you need to do if they do occur. Least with tornadoes and hurricanes you can protect yourself.

I also think the Charotte area has better diverse crowd social life of the other cities in this state.

This is encouraging thread you might be interested in reading.
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...best-city.html

Once you find some job hopefuls come to the Charlotte thread and some of us might help you find the best areas to live ideally you want to live on same side of town you work in for less commute time.

Far as home search on the web I use realtor and trulia

For demographics and other data go to top left corner where it says city-data.com and click it and go to whatever city to get good amount information about the city you are intersted in.

Good luck

Old 06-14-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Relocating

Thanks you for the information.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:00 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,850 times
Default Charlotte Raleigh Durham

I tend to agree with SunnyKayak..

If you are a single guy, Charlotte would be pretty nice to look at - And, there are job opportunities there.

Raleigh or Durham could also be worth looking at..

If you are going to take the time to come here, then spend some time in both areas.

In your question you stated "for a single black guy"...So, I've got to say this..I relocated here to NC from New York City...And, in my opinion there is a greater amount of overall racial tolerance (both ways) here than in NYC.

Yes, there are the redneck types here ...But, the bigots that I met in NYC were far more arrogant and bigger trouble-makers. And, that was on both sides..

Old 06-18-2007, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Jobs in Charlotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I would probably begin trying to find a job that you would like with your skills.

I knew in the previous month companies in the Charlotte area I was doing job search with wanted someone with mba on their resumes so their is jobs out there.

Tornadoes can happen but there is no safe area in the state from them but NC isnt in tornado alley.

I hear tornado warnings all the time but been in this state since the 70's and never actually seen one (knock on wood).

Hurricanes yes they are a good possibility and if they are concern for you I would probably avoid east of raliegh.

We have had damage inland even in mountains with mountain slides inland flooding, and wind damange. I live close to Charlotte and I find them fascinating I do not live in low lying area and only worry about tree falling on house but same as tornado it such a rare event.

I would look at like you do of earthquakes they can happen but rare but know what you need to do if they do occur. Least with tornadoes and hurricanes you can protect yourself.

I also think the Charotte area has better diverse crowd social life of the other cities in this state.

This is encouraging thread you might be interested in reading.
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...best-city.html

Once you find some job hopefuls come to the Charlotte thread and some of us might help you find the best areas to live ideally you want to live on same side of town you work in for less commute time.

Far as home search on the web I use realtor and trulia

For demographics and other data go to top left corner where it says city-data.com and click it and go to whatever city to get good amount information about the city you are intersted in.

Good luck
I plan on locating a good employement agency. Does anyone have any suggestions for anyin Charlotte in management and also any job search engines for Charlotte.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Moving to NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
I tend to agree with SunnyKayak..

If you are a single guy, Charlotte would be pretty nice to look at - And, there are job opportunities there.

Raleigh or Durham could also be worth looking at..

If you are going to take the time to come here, then spend some time in both areas.

In your question you stated "for a single black guy"...So, I've got to say this..I relocated here to NC from New York City...And, in my opinion there is a greater amount of overall racial tolerance (both ways) here than in NYC.

Yes, there are the redneck types here ...But, the bigots that I met in NYC were far more arrogant and bigger trouble-makers. And, that was on both sides..
I reread my post and see how it sounds confusing. I am a single black female and would eventually like to start a family. I do not want to move to an area where the number of women is significantly greater then men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina