Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:31 AM

49 posts, read 80,961 times

Advertisements

After browsing through the forum I have seen numerous people asking questions about the frigid weather. My question is.... Are companies drilling all year long even in the coldest of cold? In that case will they be hiring people as well? My family is relocating to Bismarck at the end of the month. We found housing out there and my husband plans to find a job in an oilfield in Dickinson, Minot or Williston.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 07:40 AM

88 posts, read 220,178 times
I'm not in ND yet, but from what I've read here and on other sites, winter is the best time for oil companies because of the dry weather conditions. Also from what I've read here and other sites, when the spring comes it will be harder to get around the oil sites because of the rains and muddy ground. Trucks will not only chain up in the winter, they'll chain up in the spring as well to help them move around the oil sites. Just what I've heard though. Jobs should still be plentiful and I am still planning on coming up from Georgia around the second or third week of November. Hope all works out for you and the family.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:45 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
My neighbors work up there. Last year, everything run smoothly all winter, even with the snow and cold. But spring rolled around and they would have days off, unplanned, due to mud. You can blade snow and still get to sites, but blading mud just doesn't work.

My next door neighbor runs a vac truck and would often get pulled into sites, through the mud, by Catapillars and sometimes the cat's still couldn't keep running. But during the winter, chain up and he got everywhere he needed to go.

Obviously, if it was a blizzard and visibility was a problem, everybody slowed down. But there weren't very many of those.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:00 AM

wow thanks! Makes us feel a little more comfortable about making the big move 2000 miles away!

Old 10-09-2011, 02:26 PM

477 posts, read 1,506,707 times
Drilling don't slow down for anyone or anything. LOL, really my bf went early to work if a blizzard was coming and sometimes they had to stay right on the rig site to keep working if the other crew couldn't make it. Very rare for a rig to stop for anything. Spring did slow some things down as with moving the rig to another location, it was so wet, but still they do what they can to get back up and drilling.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:01 PM

155 posts, read 421,225 times
The drilling usually doesn't stop. The companies set up huge heaters at the rig for the floor hands to help them stay warm. Cold weather doesn't stop the action up here. It might slow things down, but not much.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,656 times
Hi all been reading the forum for about 2 months now. My husband and I are thinking of heading up to ND to look for work. He is going to look for work in the oilfields and I have been looking at jobs but unable to find any for a 911 dispatcher. Was wondering if anyone knew where to look. I looked in some of the local news papers and the state employment website. So far havent seen anything besides dispatchers for oil companies. Even with the jobs posted for oil companies seems to be impossible to find work through the web (hubby has appiled to several compaines -no response). We are hard working people with a family that are looking for good pay and want to make this a long-term move. We both can pass background checks and drug tests easily. We also realise that housing is almost impossible in some areas, but we dont care to drive a bit we drive now 1 hour one way to work for far less than most positions in ND. Tough times for us here finding the money to make the 24 hour trip one way will be a strain, but we think may be the only way to find jobs in the oilfields. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 10-13-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dispatchmom View Post
Hi all been reading the forum for about 2 months now. My husband and I are thinking of heading up to ND to look for work. He is going to look for work in the oilfields and I have been looking at jobs but unable to find any for a 911 dispatcher. Was wondering if anyone knew where to look. I looked in some of the local news papers and the state employment website. So far havent seen anything besides dispatchers for oil companies. Even with the jobs posted for oil companies seems to be impossible to find work through the web (hubby has appiled to several compaines -no response). We are hard working people with a family that are looking for good pay and want to make this a long-term move. We both can pass background checks and drug tests easily. We also realise that housing is almost impossible in some areas, but we dont care to drive a bit we drive now 1 hour one way to work for far less than most positions in ND. Tough times for us here finding the money to make the 24 hour trip one way will be a strain, but we think may be the only way to find jobs in the oilfields. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks

Just saw this...... [url=http://tbe.taleo.net/NA5/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=BISMARCK&cws=1&rid=271]Bismarck, ND - Official Website[/url]

Old 10-13-2011, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,656 times
Thank you so much!

Old 11-29-2011, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 20,670 times
Wanting to start a career in the oilfield in williston area, entry level , no experience, mechanically inclined and hard worker, who do i get in touch with. Thank you greatly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota