Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:23 AM

11 posts, read 17,084 times

Advertisements

Hi people,

I'm brazilian and I'm going to Minot. Is there anyone to talk
about the city?
It seems to be a nice city!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 08:35 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,006,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahia View Post
Hi people,

I'm brazilian and I'm going to Minot. Is there anyone to talk
about the city?
It seems to be a nice city!
Thanks
I live near Grand Forks North Dakota, east of Minot, but have in-laws in the Minot area and was just there this past weekend. Minot is a busy place....and housing is at a high cost and in short supply. Minot experienced the worst river flooding they have ever recorded this past June so some neighborhoods along the center of town (along the Souris/Mouse River) were damaged very badly. Not all the town was affected as there is a north hill and south hill.... the town itself is in a river valley....so those areas on the higher land away from the center were ok. But housing is a huge issue and very difficult to get and pricier than before the flood.

That said....Minot itself is a nice town, growing a lot due to more air force personnel brought into the local air force base and oil companies moving to town. New businesses opening up....but kind of busy right now with all that is going on and not so sure I would move there right now.

When we visited it was just sooo busy....

Dan

Old 11-28-2011, 08:41 AM

From your other posts....are you coming for a winter visit or to stay a while. Got housing lined up as hotel rooms can be very difficult to find. Minot winter weather is usuallly a dry cold in the heart of the winter season and will be below zero F frequently.....with some periods of wind and snow/blowing snow.
But be sure to bring along some lotion as you will need it as your skin dries out quite a bit in the colder weather. You might notice it more especially being that you are from a warm climate.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:17 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
I noticed in your other posts that you are mainly looking to experience snow and to possibly get in some skiing. Minot will certainly let you see some snow, but there is no down hill skiing there.

North Dakota is experiencing a real housing shortage. Minot had a major flood earlier this year and they lost a lot of homes. FEMA is actually telling people they should relocate because it's going to be a while. Williston and the whole Northeast quadrant of the state is experiencing a housing shortage because of the Oil Boom. Williston has gained thousands of residents getting work there and they have people living in their cars because there is no housing.

If you are just going for an extended vacation for winter activities, you might want to think about Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, or South Dakota. You'll find plenty snow in those states, great skiing and finding a motel or month to month apartment is a lot easier.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:23 AM

I agree...if the poster just wants to visit some place to see snow and ski then the person should look elsewhere. If the person has a specific purpose to go there...then fine. But up there last weekend made me see how crazy busy life is there now.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:13 PM

Thanks for all messages!

So, I'm participating of a exchange program for college students to improve English..
I will spend my vacations there..
I know there is a train company in the city, so I wanna enjoy and travel to know the area..
While I live there I will work in a fast food restaurant to have contact with people, so I hope that I like the place and the people..

is easy to know the air force base ?

Old 11-28-2011, 12:21 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahia View Post
Thanks for all messages!

So, I'm participating of a exchange program for college students to improve English..
I will spend my vacations there..
I know there is a train company in the city, so I wanna enjoy and travel to know the area..
While I live there I will work in a fast food restaurant to have contact with people, so I hope that I like the place and the people..

is easy to know the air force base ?
Ok, now it makes sense. Yes, you will definately see some snow and feel some cold in Minot. Good luck with your stay, you will enjoy it.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:21 PM

Seems as if you have school and lodging and a job lined up so good luck and have fun. Minot is growing, but yet you will notice the homes just south of the University which got damaged....the worst of the damaged homes are being leveled starting this week. The air force base is north of town several miles, but you will notice a presence in the city. Broadway is the main north-south route in town (Hwy 83). Area around the university is pretty nice. Overall a quiet place, but still enough things to do, a prairie town, with wide open spaces once you get out of the river valley.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:02 PM

Thanks..

When I come in USA I probably go from Fargo to Minot by train and I dont know how works train there, can I carry baggage or just hand luggage? Is there some rule about it ?

Old 11-28-2011, 05:58 PM

5 posts, read 10,931 times
I just came in on the train to Minot today. You are allowed 2 pieces of carry on luggage. The Minot station just reopened for passengers 2 weeks ago, so I'm not sure if they're set up for checked on luggage.

Train is in Fargo around 3:30 AM, reaches Minot around 9:30.

Last edited by fwvonjones; 11-28-2011 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Train Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota