Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:43 PM

325 posts, read 863,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
Alejandro is Jaxteller. He lives in Chicago and is 6'2'', 240 lbs., bilingual, a law abider, and doesn't want to sleep in his car. He is looking into tipis at your suggestion.
Ah, thanks for that. Sounds like an adult who is capable of thinking for himself.

Fact is, he had already pretty much decided what he wanted to do when I entered this discussion. But even if he hadn't, I'm sure he is quite capable of making proper decisions suitable to his situation, especially given he is on this board asking for advice. I suggested tipis would be a better alternative than tents, which, IIRC, he was considering.

He is going without any housing, regardless of what method he might choose. Maybe you ought to PM him and try to talk him out of it.

As for me, having spent a year homeless on one hand, and working 100+ hours a week on the other hand, and every conceivable permutation in between, I'm a lost cause. But I am smart enough to know when I'm licked, and I won't need any gov't help to evacuate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 PM

443 posts, read 806,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internationalman View Post
Ah, thanks for that. Sounds like an adult who is capable of thinking for himself.

Fact is, he had already pretty much decided what he wanted to do when I entered this discussion. But even if he hadn't, I'm sure he is quite capable of making proper decisions suitable to his situation, especially given he is on this board asking for advice. I suggested tipis would be a better alternative than tents, which, IIRC, he was considering.

He is going without any housing, regardless of what method he might choose. Maybe you ought to PM him and try to talk him out of it.

As for me, having spent a year homeless on one hand, and working 100+ hours a week on the other hand, and every conceivable permutation in between, I'm a lost cause. But I am smart enough to know when I'm licked, and I won't need any gov't help to evacuate.
Williston will be a great fit for you then. You'll get to work 100+ hrs/week and be homeless (I know you have arranged shelter). What's the holdup? You're going to miss out, the jobs are being filled fast by the people flocking to town after the "positive" media exposure. Hurry! Get in while you still can!

Old 11-07-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Williston will be a great fit for you then. You'll get to work 100+ hrs/week and be homeless (I know you have arranged shelter). What's the holdup? You're going to miss out, the jobs are being filled fast by the people flocking to town after the "positive" media exposure. Hurry! Get in while you still can!
Good lord, man! This is the third time you have gone off on some hyperbolic rant. I don't know what the hell you are talking about. Maybe you ought to think about giving up that oil job you dread so much. I think its messing with ya.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by internationalman View Post
Good lord, man! This is the third time you have gone off on some hyperbolic rant. I don't know what the hell you are talking about. Maybe you ought to think about giving up that oil job you dread so much. I think its messing with ya.
Give up a six figure job? In this economy? Don't you realize that there are millions of unemployed truck drivers that are standing in line waiting to take my job? I can't understand why the companies are having such a hard time filling the open cdl positions.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Give up a six figure job? In this economy? Don't you realize that there are millions of unemployed truck drivers that are standing in line waiting to take my job? I can't understand why the companies are having such a hard time filling the open cdl positions.
LOL! The things we will do when we have little or no other choice, no matter its impact on us personally. I don't imagine you see the irony of your words in this thread.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:34 PM

89 posts, read 167,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
Also, not the Carhartt full coveralls. Get bibs and a jacket. Many times it warms up where you can wear insulated bibs and a heavy sweatshirt. With full coveralls you don't have that option. You'll look like a newbie in the coveralls for winter.
Dam I went and did this, it was more economical and large enough to layer. But then again I'm not even sure what job I'll get and will be sleeping in my van. I suppose though..I will be a newbie.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:42 AM

249 posts, read 645,329 times
"I can't understand why the companies are having such a hard time filling the open cdl positions."

Many, many people are settled where they live regardless of their employment situation... I know 4 or 5 guys I've told about the opportunities in ND but they want to stay..."home".

It's the adventuresome (like us) that take advantage of opportunities.

That's why it's good fit for ex-military (and military brats)... they're used to mobility,,, and "hurry up and wait"...

Old 11-08-2011, 06:15 AM

88 posts, read 220,170 times
I really wanted to stay out of this, but by page three I could not help but be reminded of the infamous "Internationalman vs Dave12341234" incident of lore!

Although I may be on the outside looking in, for now, I find it extremely difficult to think that a company would hire any newbie and not, either provide the clothing required to not freeze to death on their platform, thus halting work completely while the investigators and news media surround the area with as much negativity as possible or, supply said newbie with a stipend to clothe him/herself in the correct manner. If, on the other hand, they do not. I find it even more ludicrous to believe that someone who has the mentality greater than a pineapple would not clothe and shelter THEMSELVES in the correct manner!!

I've searched through this board, and other city boards, that have similar climates and, I have taken heed of those with more experience than I about the up coming winter months. I'll be sleeping/camping in my truck, however I've also equipped said awesome vehicle with the approbiate items for me to survive the upcoming winter months. This would include clothing!! When you take a look around the web at the various "Oil and Gas" job boards, all of them, and I mean ALL of them say that the position will be in various types of weather! Some even say "various degrees of harsh climate" and "MUST have the ability to work in harsh climate for long periods of time." So, if anyone goes to North Dakota without doing their own, personal, and well thought out research, and they come up here and lose a few toes and/or fingers because of frostbite, or worse they lose their life, then whose fault is it?!?!

The thing that is the most irksome about any type of argument like this, is the fact that we, as a society, have become so dependent on someone else to take care of us. Especially in a case like this, moving to North Dakota, a place where the folks living there will tell you that you're risking your life coming to in the winter, how would you not prepare yourself for ANY possibility?!? If I buy a set of coveralls and look like a newbie, I could give a sh@& because I know I'll be warm and not freeze to death. If it gets warm enough that I start to sweat, guess what? The coveralls unzip and can be tied around my waist while I continue to work my butt off!! FREAKING INGENIOUS!

Plus, and this is the most frightening thing about this type of argument, you have the free will to stay home! Or, if things become to much to bare, you can take your little red wagon and go home! Either way, in this type of economy, and whether we want to believe it or not, there will be someone waiting behind you to take your spot! Hell, I've already secured Golfer's spot at the Chateau, how awesome is that?!? By the way Golfer, I'm not sure if you checked it out or not, but were you aware that there is a golf course that is in the top 20 of Golf Digests Best Courses to Play list near Minot? I'm just thinking about the whole Jack is a dull boy thing once spring/summer rolls around!

**Drops microphone and storms off stage!**

Old 11-08-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer2122 View Post
"I can't understand why the companies are having such a hard time filling the open cdl positions."

Many, many people are settled where they live regardless of their employment situation... I know 4 or 5 guys I've told about the opportunities in ND but they want to stay..."home".

It's the adventuresome (like us) that take advantage of opportunities.

That's why it's good fit for ex-military (and military brats)... they're used to mobility,,, and "hurry up and wait"...
My statetement about filling cdl positions was intended to be ironic. The fact of the matter is that there are plenty of open positions that aren't being filled (both cdl and non-cdl). Qualified people all over the country are out of work, yet they opt not to come here. It isn't because they haven't heard about the jobs. There is opportunity for the adventurous/risk takers but that opportunity comes with a cost that the majority of the population is unwilling to absorb.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:51 PM

287 posts, read 688,755 times
Ursa i dont think the tipi thing is a good idea. I called the company that makes him and the owner told me that the tipi has openings in the bottom and top. i think im gonna get me one of these witha double burner stove:

Alaska Tent & Tarp :: Arctic Oven 8 Extreme Tent

i really appreciate your concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota