Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:58 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Why not buy a smaller home within driving distance of GF? I've see them regularly for anywhere between $5,000 and $40,000 dollars. You can also get a lot starting at around $1,000 and build your own (much smaller and cheaper) home.
That is what I did. I don't live in ND full time, just bought a place for future retirement, my place in the sun. But it is too far for daily commute in to either Grand Forks or Fargo. Outside the big cities, at least in the east, housing is really cheap. You can find a nice house for $100k, a fixer upper could be had for below $10k.

Last edited by Velvet Jones; 11-11-2011 at 09:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 09:25 AM

941 posts, read 1,914,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
But this is the problem. Pay in Grand Forks is horrible compared to the cost of housing. Grand Forks, Bismarck, and Fargo all have moderate housing prices compared to other mid-western cities, but the salaries do not justify those prices, especially in Grand Forks. It's hard to afford a $200k house on $40k a year.
I live about 1 hour and half or so from Fargo and it is so easy to get a job here. No problem whatsoever, but the pay is not the best. The houses are really cheap and rent too. That justifies the lesser pay. Is also very pretty here clean, green, lots of lakes, lots of amish,lol, but still just can't settle.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:02 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
That is what I did. I don't live in ND full time, just bought a place for future retirement, my place in the sun. But it is too far for daily commute in to either Grand Forks or Fargo. Outside the big cities, at least in the east, housing is really cheap. You can find a nice house for $100k, a fixer upper could be had for below $10k.
Me too. I bought a small piece of ground for around $1000. I will eventually (hopefully soon) be building a very small home on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
I live about 1 hour and half or so from Fargo and it is so easy to get a job here. No problem whatsoever, but the pay is not the best. The houses are really cheap and rent too. That justifies the lesser pay. Is also very pretty here clean, green, lots of lakes, lots of amish,lol, but still just can't settle.
This is good to hear. I will be moving to the Park River/Grafton area. I don't really care if the pay is great, but I do need some sort of job to live. By the time I move, I will have no debt and will only need wages to cover a very modest lifestyle in a very small home. Even minimum wage should cover it, according to my calculations.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:25 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

This is good to hear. I will be moving to the Park River/Grafton area. I don't really care if the pay is great, but I do need some sort of job to live. By the time I move, I will have no debt and will only need wages to cover a very modest lifestyle in a very small home. Even minimum wage should cover it, according to my calculations.
I think most jobs pay around 10.00 to 12.00 a lot of industrial and plants, here are packing plants galore and farms. I know someone here that even works for the Amish and they pay him 10.00/hr.....People here, 1 income can support a family and get by ok, people here with 2 income seem really good and own homes and vacation and everyone centers around the manufacturing or packing plants. For me though i just hate that kinda work, lol......

Old 11-14-2011, 05:26 PM

12 posts, read 27,230 times
Is it easy to find an entry-level warehouse/factory job in GF or Fargo?

Old 11-14-2011, 05:42 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrule View Post
We have Simplot in Grand Forks (potato processing plant)....and we have Amazon.com customer service center and many other smaller places that could fit what you are looking for. But that line of work is something I just know little about ... sorry

Check job service North Dakota....many employers post give job openings to them and they post on this website.

Grand Forks | Job Service North Dakota

Old 11-15-2011, 03:44 PM

348 posts, read 1,051,520 times
laina1980 wrote "lots of amish". Where?

Old 11-15-2011, 04:23 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
There is a growing Amish community east of Grand Forks in central Polk county Minnesota.... to the northwest of Grand Forks (Forest River and a few other areas) is quite large communities of Mennonites and Hutterites.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:14 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrule View Post
DigiKey in Thief River Falls sells electronic components to companies all over the world has a huge warehouse in Thief River Falls. Their work force has grown by over 1000 in the past two years, and are always hiring. Federal Express has had to expand its shipping capability into Grand Forks/Thief River Falls because DigiKey is such a significant player in the electronics market.

Thief River Falls is about 40 miles NE of Grand Forks (in Minnesota).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota