Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 06:18 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,776 times

Advertisements

North Dakota Oil Boom Brings Blight With Growth as Costs Soar - Bloomberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 06:58 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,237,366 times
Default Thank you Kychlo, This article is truly eye opening......

All I can say is WOW! I believe this is the first comprehensive article that I've seen in months. I had no idea it had gotten to this point, I was already reeling from the other postings and articles I'd read the last few weeks.

I have a home there in Williston, and haven't had to be there in town for about a year. My sons have visited the area in the last few months, as their Father and his family live and work there. My renter is the same renter that I've had for over 4 years. I charge so little for rent, mainly because I want to keep a responsible person in my home, as we plan to retire there in the next 10-12 years. I am myself a transplant to N.D. during 81', the "other" boom. I feel for these folks, the locals, and the people seeking jobs. It is so important for the State of N.D. to pay attention and revise the funding to get the municipalities caught up. Before they implode!
I would suggest that the State officials that are holding the purse strings be brought out to the areas mentioned, and spend a long week living, and seeing first hand what is really happening, and what needs to be done. Then they must go to the table w/ all concerned companies and investors and fork over some money to " Get R Done"

Old 01-27-2012, 07:16 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,010,480 times
This is another good article about meeting between the oil companies and Williams county officials....

'Our quality of life is gone

quote that stands out...

Williams County Commissioner Dan Kalil:
“Our quality of life is gone. It is absolutely gone,” he said. “My community is gone, and I’m heartbroken. I never wanted to live anyplace but Williston, North Dakota, and now I don’t know what I’m going to do.”

I hear similar fustration at times on local AM talk shows from Fargo (KGFO and WDAY -- but they are aired on other stations state-wide).

I started following the oil boom up in the Oil Sands region around Ft McMurray Alberta (or Ft McMoney) since it began in the late 90s.... not so much in the news now....but due to lack of buildable land prices there are astronomical. Average price of a single family house around $730,000 Cdn..... restaurants only open for a few hours a day due to lack of help.... etc

Old 01-27-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
This is another good article about meeting between the oil companies and Williams county officials....

'Our quality of life is gone

quote that stands out...

Williams County Commissioner Dan Kalil:
“Our quality of life is gone. It is absolutely gone,” he said. “My community is gone, and I’m heartbroken. I never wanted to live anyplace but Williston, North Dakota, and now I don’t know what I’m going to do.”

I hear similar fustration at times on local AM talk shows from Fargo (KGFO and WDAY -- but they are aired on other stations state-wide).

I started following the oil boom up in the Oil Sands region around Ft McMurray Alberta (or Ft McMoney) since it began in the late 90s.... not so much in the news now....but due to lack of buildable land prices there are astronomical. Average price of a single family house around $730,000 Cdn..... restaurants only open for a few hours a day due to lack of help.... etc
Dan, IMO this article could be a new thread. It is very good to know that there are folks, like Mr. Kalil that are in the position to voice real concerns and issues facing so many folks in Western N.D. they hopefully can have influence on the purse holders in our State Government.
Also, could you provide the station #'s for those you mentioned for East N.D., I would sure tune in. Thanks for sharing a great article.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:31 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,010,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Dan, IMO this article could be a new thread. It is very good to know that there are folks, like Mr. Kalil that are in the position to voice real concerns and issues facing so many folks in Western N.D. they hopefully can have influence on the purse holders in our State Government.
Also, could you provide the station #'s for those you mentioned for East N.D., I would sure tune in. Thanks for sharing a great article.
KFGO is 790 AM and WDAY 970 AM.... both from 2-5 have call in type shows...topics vary greatly day to day and segment to segment. I believe 790 AM is more prone to have oil and western ND type talk than WDAY which is more Fargo centric.

--Dan

Old 01-27-2012, 02:48 PM

Dan, I couldn't rep you, but Thank You!

Old 01-27-2012, 07:41 PM

174 posts, read 379,085 times
Commissioner Kalil is a hypocrite...he is a major land owner and has 5 wells on his property last I checked. He is one of the wealthiest men in the county and the only thing he is upset about is losing his ability to rule the county with an iron fist. We have lots of issues with the boom and one of the biggest is our elected leader's refusal to deal with it. They have known since 04-05 that this was coming and just flat refused to address it.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:27 PM

I totally believe you, I just wonder what the city was supposed to have done exactly to prepare? They aren't gonna rush and build houses, we learned that was a mistake in the 80's, when the bust came you couldn't give those houses away. You can't plan ahead for this kind of mass stampede, it seems like it was hyped so much in the media, that it sort of exploded. There are some real problems, and you are right, there needs to be something done. The issue is the purse strings are being controlled at the state level. IMO, the only way the state is gonna cough up more revenue to the boom cities is if they have to personally come and live this life for a couple weeks. I am not there, but I know Williston, the stories that I am hearing from folks, including my own renter, about what the atmosphere, and the hazards are is almost unimaginable. The commissioners, they drive these roads? their kids attend the same schools? Their wives shop at Walmart? Why haven't they done something more?? This is not rhetorical, I am really curious. Anyone care to speculate??

Old 01-27-2012, 09:55 PM

979 posts, read 3,670,676 times
Here are presentations given to state officials from representatives of the oil towns. Very interesting. Slow loading, but worth it.
Williston Energy Development Presentation
Oil Patch testimony to legislators | The N.D. Capitol and Beyond

Old 01-28-2012, 06:34 AM

Roloff, Thank you. This is such a great piece of information. I was impressed by the information provided to the State....sure hope it makes a differance. It gives a very good picture and and understanding of the What? the Why, and outlines the How. I sure hope our State Legislatures are listening!! It is good to see that the City of Williston has really been trying to keep up and to proactively plan, but, w/ hands sort of tied behind their back because the purse strings are being controlled at the State level......Lets hope the State level powers that be do something now. Great info!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota