Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 06:28 AM

454 posts, read 942,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Thanks for posting this. For some reason I find modern ghost towns fascinating. This type is really unusual, as most of them are created by toxic or environmental hazards. It looks like this one was just too remote and could not sustain itself once the base closed. I'll definitely keep this on my list of places to visit.
Ditto what Velvet said. I did some googling of St. Marie after I saw the post from Ursa, prior to that I had never heard of this place. There are several sites that have some great pictures of the abandoned structures, including a hospital and two schools - I'm drooling, I would love to explore there.

From what I could find, there are about 150 - 200 people living in St. Marie at the present time, but they are having issues. I did find someone who has posted their 'condo' in St. Marie for rent, the ad mentions that it's only 150 miles to Williston . WooHoo

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=169589 Some fairly new photos of what St. Marie looks like.
http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/225055 The condo for rent.

Last edited by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska; 03-20-2012 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: Added links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 06:45 AM

154 posts, read 413,419 times
St Marie was mostly housing for the Air Base that closed back in the 70s. That and farming/ranching were about the only thing going around Glasgow then. It doesn't quite look like western ND did when the last boom was over but there are similarities. About a 2 hour commute from Williston when the weather's good. Glasgow's weather makes ours look tame.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:52 AM

73,139 posts, read 62,835,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
This house is in Montana. The article is focusing on a different "blight". Increased crime, Infrastructure, resources, state agencies i.e. 911, police, hospital, etc. The lack of housing is a major issue. Just read the article.
If the crime is what is worrying people, how stretched are the resources of the police? I would also imagine that there is going to be a difference between someone who is there to make money to better themselves and someone who is there for a quick thrill and gets into alot of trouble. Similar things happened in Alaska with the oil boom. With the good came the bad.Today Alaska residents get the Permanent Fund, which is a yearly check. It is thanks to the oil money. I was hoping any oil money could be used to improve the infrastructure. I am also thinking that people could come, start construction businesses to quell the housing shortage. I'm just looking at this from an entrepreneurial perspective.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:25 AM

443 posts, read 807,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinj View Post
St Marie was mostly housing for the Air Base that closed back in the 70s. That and farming/ranching were about the only thing going around Glasgow then. It doesn't quite look like western ND did when the last boom was over but there are similarities. About a 2 hour commute from Williston when the weather's good. Glasgow's weather makes ours look tame.
I've been wondering why someone hasn't moved some of the old Glasgow AFB housing to Western ND. Several years ago, a family member purchased a two story duplex from the base for less than $10,000 and moved it to the ranch. It is still in use today- has beautiful original hardwood floors, metal kitchen cabinets, and is warm and comfortable.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 AM

154 posts, read 413,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
I've been wondering why someone hasn't moved some of the old Glasgow AFB housing to Western ND. Several years ago, a family member purchased a two story duplex from the base for less than $10,000 and moved it to the ranch. It is still in use today- has beautiful original hardwood floors, metal kitchen cabinets, and is warm and comfortable.
It would be hard to find a place to put them. Land prices are as inflated as housing and most land owners aren't interested in putting in permanent housing. A lot of people got burned pretty bad out here in the early 80s.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinj View Post
It would be hard to find a place to put them. Land prices are as inflated as housing and most land owners aren't interested in putting in permanent housing. A lot of people got burned pretty bad out here in the early 80s.
True, but it would have been cheaper than moving the Olympic village or Katrina housing across the country.
As for getting burned- what's that old saying? Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:40 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,720,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
Ditto what Velvet said. I did some googling of St. Marie after I saw the post from Ursa, prior to that I had never heard of this place. There are several sites that have some great pictures of the abandoned structures, including a hospital and two schools - I'm drooling, I would love to explore there.

From what I could find, there are about 150 - 200 people living in St. Marie at the present time, but they are having issues. I did find someone who has posted their 'condo' in St. Marie for rent, the ad mentions that it's only 150 miles to Williston . WooHoo

St. Marie, Montana (you won't be disappointed) - SkyscraperPage Forum Some fairly new photos of what St. Marie looks like.
Entire 4bd/1b Condo Near Williston! in St Marie The condo for rent.
I'm amazed no one has snapped this up for some sort of aerospace research. The hangers in those photos, if they're still there, look huge. Would be a good place to park my 747.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I'm amazed no one has snapped this up for some sort of aerospace research. The hangers in those photos, if they're still there, look huge. Would be a good place to park my 747.
Boeing owns the runway. At one time it was the largest in the world- it may still be. It was for B-52 bombers during the cold war.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:35 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,278,277 times
Well, now that the secret is out about another town w/ space available I'll bet it will fill right up

Old 03-20-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Well, now that the secret is out about another town w/ space available I'll bet it will fill right up
After the base was closed, the facilities were used as housing for a federally funded job training program called Mountain Plains Resources. People from all over the U.S. packed up and headed for this isolated spot on the prairie much like they are flocking to Western ND now.
As I understand it, currently there is some infighting amongst the residents of St. Marie- something to do with competing condo associations and disputes over religious beliefs. Throw some oil field folks in the mix and the sparks would really fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota