Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2011, 01:06 PM

40 posts, read 67,387 times

Advertisements

How is North Dakota besides the oil boom now that I heard the possibility of it stopping? I have a decent full time job and my wife has a decent job(which we don't need) in CA, but we don't like all the crime, rat race type living. We started looking into Bismarck to settle to raise our kids and the oil boom was a plus. Without that how are the jobs and everyday living knowing it depopulates in ND?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 02:24 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
All the things ppl have shared w/ you re N.D. are true, it is a much slower pace life. There is crime, but not like in major cities in differant states. Not knowing what type jobs you like, I would recommend that you check the ND state home page, and look for job service sites. We have some bad weather in winter, and some nice things, family oriented to do in summer all across the state. I moved here in 80, and have raised my 4 sons here. There are almost all the same problems here as anywhere else, but just perhaps a smaller scale. This city data homepage has amazing info, stats etc to help you decide. There will be more folks writing. I fell in love w/ N.D. after flood here in Grand Forks, when I was loaned a lil farm house out near Finley/Sharon and had a real chance to live in the rural area. I feel blessed to have been here, I at times miss my home state, or what it was like when I was a kid. There are some really precious, old school folks here, and modern techie also. Lots of ppl come back after they start a family, the values, the caring about your neighbor is very strong here. Hope you find your haven. Jan

Old 11-27-2011, 04:48 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
You raise a good question. If the EPA does shut down fracking, I would think there would be several thousand people suddenly jobless and looking for work.

If I were you, I would secure a job before moving. Once you have the job, you'd be in pretty good shape and relatively safe. But if you just drive up, you might find thousands applying for the jobs that are available.

But I really don't think the EPA will shut down fracking, there is too much to loose.... But you never know.

Old 11-27-2011, 05:23 PM

112 posts, read 316,519 times
I hope you are right ElkHunter, I would hate to see this light at the end of the tunnel go dark all of a sudden. I have been in the construction business for more than 20 years and it is just time to do something else. Not enough work and wages are lower than when I was 18, I was hoping this boom would be my "in" to a different path. Don't care to work hard loooong... hours, just want to get paid for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota