Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 11:28 PM

112 posts, read 316,546 times

Advertisements

Anybody that is working or has worked in the ND area or other oil field areas if you could share your thoughts about which companies are the easiest to get hired for entry level, the best paying per hour, the companies that let you get the most overtime and so on... For all of us new to the Industry, this would be very helpful and I will be glad to do the same once I actually get a job. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 AM

12 posts, read 40,440 times
I'm guessing, at this point, that the best one is any one that will hire you. At entry level, reading some of the posts, you can't be real choosy.

(This incredible wisdom -filled post brought to you by someone who knows absolutely nothing about oil field jobs, and whose only qualification is being up early this morning, reading forums.)

Old 11-29-2011, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 20,671 times
JUST TO ADD MY TWO CENTS, WITH NO EXPERIENCE ITS GONNA BE HARD TO LAND A ENTRY LEVEL JOB IN THE ND AREA BECAUSE OF THE HOUSING SHORTAGE., BEST WAY IS TO ACTUALLY CALL COMPANIES AND TALK TO THEM IN PERSON, I'VE HAD APP'S IN WITH MOST OF THE COMPANIES UP THERE FOR 3 MONTHS AND NO RESPONSE YET. SO I GOT ON THE PHONE AND STARTED ASKING qUESTIONS. GOOD LUCK AND LET US ALL KNOW IF YOU LEARN ANYTHING NEW

Old 11-29-2011, 10:32 AM

91 posts, read 294,968 times
Right now your chances are pretty low. I came to Williston a year ago before people really started flooding in here, and got an entry level position immediately. Things have changed a lot even within the last couple months. Companies have been overwhelmed with applications and are only hiring people with 1+ years experience with the ability to pass a pre-interview knowledge test. I got my job with Precision almost immediately. I filled out an application online and got a call back the next day. Thats not the case anymore. If I were you right now, I wouldn't pack up my things and expect a job on a rig because more than likely you wont get a reply from any companies. They are just so overwhelmed.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:38 AM

941 posts, read 1,915,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Techy View Post
I'm guessing, at this point, that the best one is any one that will hire you. At entry level, reading some of the posts, you can't be real choosy.

(This incredible wisdom -filled post brought to you by someone who knows absolutely nothing about oil field jobs, and whose only qualification is being up early this morning, reading forums.)
I agree with this. If you have no experience and want the top job at top dollar, well if your lucky good but if not it may be hard to get a job. I even think is good idea to accept the jobs that aren't in oilfield just so one can be there and then decide on next step or getting more training/education for those oil jobs.
But that's just me and what I gather here on forum from others experiences.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:43 AM

91 posts, read 294,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
I agree with this. If you have no experience and want the top job at top dollar, well if your lucky good but if not it may be hard to get a job. I even think is good idea to accept the jobs that aren't in oilfield just so one can be there and then decide on next step or getting more training/education for those oil jobs.
But that's just me and what I gather here on forum from others experiences.
I agree with you 100%. Most people aren't gonna get a job on a rig right now, but its a good time to start scouting and to keep an eye on whats going on here right now with the drilling/frac companies. Who knows, tomorrow for all we know a company could post on the ND job service looking for 40 rig hands, and asking you to apply in person. Ive seen it happen.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:06 AM

941 posts, read 1,915,401 times
Your so lucky you went at the best time. Even when we first started looking into it in August it seemed better. Darn, I hate when this happens, LOL....

Old 11-29-2011, 01:04 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,230,626 times
ones that pay at least 20-25$/hr otherwise why leave the air conditioned/heated mall or mcdonalds.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 14,905 times
ok people oil field companies are hiring just gotta find the right one and you have to like to travel and be away from home for at least 14 days straight i have worked on a drilling rig for about 8 years now granted thats actually not that long for some people but in the oil feild its like 15 years lol but anyways patterson-uti is a good company for non experience people they will train nabors is good as well they train nomac is ok if they are hurting they will hire non experienced hands well thats all i got for now but good luck to all you future roughnecks and remember be safe.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 9,022 times
My husband went to ND and got a job as a roughneck almost immediately. The only thing that took a minute was the drug testing results, but he was hired on within two weeks. His starting pay was 29$. He has been with the company for almost a year now. Good luck! Sometimes it is just timing from what I heard. The company is Stoneham Drilling.

Last edited by risky505; 01-21-2014 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: Added company name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota