Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 03:38 PM

112 posts, read 316,454 times

Advertisements

Got a call today with a job offer for entry level oil gauger? with C & D Oilfield Services, but they do not offer any housing. She basically said if I could get there I could go to work on a 2 week trial basis to make sure I could do the job. Does anyone know anything about this company?

I looked online,not a lot of info, they seemed to be based out of TX but have an office in Belfield ND. First obstacle being housing but then I would also hate to drive 1500 miles for a job with a company that I don't know anything about. I realize beggars can't be choosers but... If they offered some type of housing even temporary, I would have packed up and left today.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 04:24 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times
It also doesn't sound like it is a "for sure" job, w/ that 2 weeks disclaimer. Hopefully someone will have some good news. How soon do you have to commit? Maybe send a DM to a couple of folks that you trust on here. They would get your msg sooner, hang in there. Don't know this gal, but lisan23 used to work for a staffing agency, from what I have read. Maybe she would know something about the company.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:39 PM

112 posts, read 316,454 times
Thanks JanND,
I really appreciate the input, and yes the 2 week trial makes it sound a little suspect. They may be a great company but would like to know more if possible from someone that has either worked for them or had dealings with them.

I am new to this forum so I don't really know a lot of people yet, but you have been a great help. I had noticed that lisan23 had mentioned working for SOS in some of the posts, that is a good idea. Thanks and have a good evening!

Old 12-03-2011, 04:23 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,046 times
Seems kind of odd that someone who isn't even in ND would get a job offer for an entry-level job when the area is swarming with people looking for that-you are right to be cautious. Just wanted to add my 2 cents-I don't know anything about the companies there.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:35 AM

454 posts, read 940,073 times
Maybe some of these companies are getting desperate to hire so they can try and keep up with getting their jobs done? Just a guess on my part. I wish I could tell you something about the company, but I don't know anything about them. Again, the biggest problem is housing anybody that comes here. I know of a place outside of Minot that is hiring like crazy, and the little town that it is located in, which even last year at this time was drying up, is full of people hired from just this one company, people are buying up the old churches, bank buildings and any other available building to rehab for housing and convenience store type amenities, and some of these buildings had sat vacant and partially crumbling for years, but now they are a valuable commodity. I wish you the best and hope that it works out for you, keep us posted on whether you do this two week trial or not.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:35 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,590 times
In my opinion, a tank gauger is a very low level job. Basically, you put a measuring stick or tape down the tank and then bring the stick or tape back up to read the level in the tank. IF there are electronic gauges, you basically watching a screen and sticking the tank once a day or two.

This is a good entry-level position but to offer no housing with it is a non-starter as I doubt the pay will be sufficient to find housing, if any becomes available, on your own. I'd turn them down flat.

Multiple posters on the boards have said that the proper treatment of entry level employees has stopped, ie. housing them. It sounds to me like the bottom feeding has begun in earnest.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:16 PM

73 posts, read 202,940 times
A guy I know that works as a gauger hates it and wants to get a new gig. He is not getting enough hours and at very low pay.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:32 PM

231 posts, read 872,892 times
What would be considered low pay? I see the one mentioned earlier is advertising 15 hrs a day. They also do flow testing according to NDJS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: