Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 09:53 PM

3 posts, read 15,471 times

Advertisements

So we're Texas natives...been here all our lives. We live in the DFW area and have two children. I stay at home and my husband works for Schlumberger. We've always been up for a move...even out of the state.

He received a call today from a manager at his shop. He had inquired about working for the shop in Williston and transferring. I don't think this is something we'd even consider any time soon, but you never know.

We want away from the big city and all that goes with. It's also be nice to NOT have a 115 degree summer, but do understand how bitter cold the winters are.

We also have a type 1 diabetic son, so there needs to be good doctors/hospitals in the area.

I'm just not sure, though. The prices of houses are unreal for starters and there isn't enough!

I've read some not so great things, but also have a good friend that is working up there now with Schlumberger as well and says it's not so bad. The company asked him and his family to relocate, but they just did from down near Houston up to our area. She will not move again! lol

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 12:20 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,507 times
Default My thoughts

I would not move unless they know exactly where you and the family will live. Even a relocation package may be unacceptable as you could be in temporary (man-camp) housing for over a year. Personally, I'm a bit surprised that they are trying to move someone into the area while the temporary housing moritorium is on.

Housing in Williston is expensive by Texas/Oklahoma standards but when you compare it to the rents that you would have to pay for anything in town, it is actually cheaper. If you are contemplating moving up here, I would secure housing first.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:07 AM

581 posts, read 2,215,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
I would not move unless they know exactly where you and the family will live. Even a relocation package may be unacceptable as you could be in temporary (man-camp) housing for over a year. Personally, I'm a bit surprised that they are trying to move someone into the area while the temporary housing moritorium is on.

Housing in Williston is expensive by Texas/Oklahoma standards but when you compare it to the rents that you would have to pay for anything in town, it is actually cheaper. If you are contemplating moving up here, I would secure housing first.
Schlumberger has been pro active in obtaining permanent housing for it's employees. Permanent meaning that it's not a man camp. They have apartments and hotels (I think they have most of the candle wood's rooms tied up). I'd imagine that they'd relocate a family to one of their apts or hotel rooms. SLB is a large employer here and they are expanding into a brand new facility west of Williston. If there's any time to transfer from TX to ND with SLB, I'd say it's now. They plan on adding frac crews and with that comes mechanics, etc. Make sure they make it worth your while to work on equipment when it's -30!!!!! Things don't like to work when it's cold. Probably haven't had to deal with that in TX. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,888 times
This is a GREAT POST! My husband and I are looking to do the same thing (Texas to North Dakota), only he will go up before us so we can build/add a container home. There are many fair prices on Lot and Land... May I suggest such an option? And Container homes would be the way to go out there! Please post on an update, or at least your friends up date. I want to see if the transition is hard, and take any suggestions they might have. But from what I have heard, business is BOOMING in Williston for Gas and Oil. And get this... $16 an hour to work for McDonald's? Yes please!

Old 01-16-2012, 11:42 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
Schlumberger has been pro active in obtaining permanent housing for it's employees. Permanent meaning that it's not a man camp. They have apartments and hotels (I think they have most of the candle wood's rooms tied up). I'd imagine that they'd relocate a family to one of their apts or hotel rooms. SLB is a large employer here and they are expanding into a brand new facility west of Williston. If there's any time to transfer from TX to ND with SLB, I'd say it's now. They plan on adding frac crews and with that comes mechanics, etc. Make sure they make it worth your while to work on equipment when it's -30!!!!! Things don't like to work when it's cold. Probably haven't had to deal with that in TX. Good luck.
Personally, I would not want to hear my wife discuss the lack of options with a permanent hotel room. Apartments may not be much better. You can't paint, make a lot of marks/holes in the walls from hanging photos or pictures. There is always people coming and going and a very busy place. It isn't bad but it isn't great either. If you go into it, go in with the mindset that it may be a year+ before a house is available or in your price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: