Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headed2northdakota View Post
Fred your buddy walked away from a driller job? Im looking forward to this im 31 but I feel like im 21 I still practice/teach bjj, run sprints, hiking push ups. Been years since my last mma fight but im conditioning myself the same way. From what I've been reading these rigs send you to a clinic for fitness test and test your strength and at the end check your resting heart rate to see what kind of shape you are in?
Check my post in this same thread, I listed two video's...the second listed video by a "couple guys" talks about the "Work Steps" fitness testing. Maybe that will help folks prepare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 09:10 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Quote:
Fred your buddy walked away from a driller job? Im looking forward to this im 31 but I feel like im 21 I still practice/teach bjj, run sprints, hiking push ups. Been years since my last mma fight but im conditioning myself the same way. From what I've been reading these rigs send you to a clinic for fitness test and test your strength and at the end check your resting heart rate to see what kind of shape you are in?
Like I said, I'm not sure what the rigs require.
DH is 37 years old and has been a working cowboy his entire life. While he thinks he'd be OK as a rig hand, he KNOWS he doesn't want to be a worm. lol It was never even in his list of options.

Yeah, our buddy walked away from a drilling job. He'd done it through most of his 20s and was worn out. (Though here lately he's been talking about going back. He forgot how much work ranching is relative to the crappy pay )

And I sure won't say this is true of you, but I have known an awful lot of guys over the years who were in great shape, physically. Hit the gym regularly, ripped muscles, etc. who couldn't keep up with a JOB that requires almost constant physical activity...
To be sure you're probably in a better spot than someone who spends his life in an office chair, but it's not the same thing as doing a demanding job, day in and day out. Don't assume it'll be easy, just because you work out.

Last edited by itsMeFred; 03-09-2012 at 09:20 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 06:09 AM

It has always been my understanding that anyone new to rig work is called a "worm" Don't think that's optional...lol But, you're probably only the "worm" til the next new guy is hired

Old 03-10-2012, 06:48 AM

154 posts, read 412,935 times
Jan's correct. Corner hand = worm. If you have no experience you start out in "worm's" corner. Scrubbing, fetching and staying out of the way are the job description while you learn. My guy broke out (started roughnecking) going on 20 years ago and has been a driller for 8-9 years now. He's 43 and I don't believe he'd want to be starting out at this age. Of course that would be mostly due to the wear and tear he's taken in the last 20 years.
Not all of the companys require any sort of fitness testing. Depends on who you're applying with. I do know a guy in his late 30's that showed up here last fall and got on by showing up at a particular rig at shift change every day for a week or 2. Think they hired him cuz they were sick of him but he's still working
No offense intended but gym muscle and working muscle are 2 different things. I admire the determination it takes to work out regularly but one of these ND farmboys/girls will work circles around a gym rat. I repeat, no offense intended.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:04 AM

98 posts, read 341,514 times
I know whats coming Fred my brother was a roughneck for nabors carson,ca (now a driller) the hiring is frozen here for worms but i know what im getting myself into ive worked a ton of physically demanding jobs like cutting wildland fire line on a hot shot crew to dbl trpl shifting at ups some how i always end up on the bulk trucks with the 100+ pound cargo. Those guys that couldnt cut it are just mentally weak alot of muscle bound guys are like that im a little bit different animal the youngest of 4 boys all the beatings from those guys playing sports since i was 5 almost year round my wrestling background (wrestling /mma is all about will power not giving up if you have quit in you better try another sport) They can tell me to move 70+ lbs sacks of powder,dig holes, trip pipe,painting etc until the cows come home giving up or working slow so i can be run off isnt an option. Like I said im really really looking forward to this challenge just waiting on the tax return and the end of cdl class and im off.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:10 AM

None taken cinj I dont go to a gym to lift weights I work out with world class mma guys Former Ifl guys some ufc fighters some not .,div 1 wrestlers we are about cardio....good chance we can have your farm boys throwing up by the end of class.... our Pro class for fighters is basically a bigten wrestling practice because the fighters who run it wrestled in the big10.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I know whats coming Fred my brother was a roughneck for nabors carson,ca (now a driller) the hiring is frozen here for worms but i know what im getting myself into ive worked a ton of physically demanding jobs like cutting wildland fire line on a hot shot crew to dbl trpl shifting at ups some how i always end up on the bulk trucks with the 100+ pound cargo. Those guys that couldnt cut it are just mentally weak alot of muscle bound guys are like that im a little bit different animal the youngest of 4 boys all the beatings from those guys playing sports since i was 5 almost year round my wrestling background (wrestling /mma is all about will power not giving up if you have quit in you better try another sport) They can tell me to move 70+ lbs sacks of powder,dig holes, trip pipe,painting etc until the cows come home giving up or working slow so i can be run off isnt an option. Like I said im really really looking forward to this challenge just waiting on the tax return and the end of cdl class and im off.
You sound like you have the right stuff and the right attitude. You'll do ok, imo. Be safe.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:06 PM

477 posts, read 1,506,618 times
Quote:
Yep, sounds like your a good hand to have. LOL, pumpkin heads in another name for worm too. Well if you get on a rig with my bf don't stand around in a daze, but keep busy, you will do fine.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:12 PM

Thanks Jan & Thanks Bronco girl will do

Old 03-10-2012, 09:39 PM

182 posts, read 478,395 times
There is limited desires for older individuals because they are more difficult to mold. Many aren't open minded, or have this "been there Done that" and Tool pushers and drillers, who have worked their way up don't want the attitude. Physical has some to do with it, but it is only a minor factor. I know many who were laid off firemen, cops, and many other non oil trades who were over 50 and got on.

But most the time, as your question related and like the "Johnny on the spot" answered. You need a skill to balance your value. We are all just commodities to accept by the companies. It is what you can do. Pipe fitting, hydraulics, mechanic work. These help with hiring. References are absolutely best. People from other jobs to validate you are what you present yourself to be.

Rigs weren't interested in my Welding skill. I'm about 30 and they could care less. They have contractors do their welding. I got on with a different service company. I did all the RIG applications. I would have been ENTRY to it.

The 39 year old from Idaho next to me made it. Because he had large Cummins, Cat, and International motor experience. They foresaw him being a good Motorman. Solid with servicing, hours, troubleshooting. Something they needed but could bring in ENTRY to drilling.

A laid off Electrician from Iowa, got on quickly. They contract out most of the major stuff, but if he could fix it for them that is less drill time lost due to electrical issues.

Young, means trainable, not set in ways, more physically fresh, and less likely to have had something better in their life and drag up to better jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota