Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 08:49 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times

Advertisements

Robione, regarding this part of your earlier post..."Special forces may help me get a job out of Dickinson. $16/hr for 2 months then $27. OT after 8 hrs/day. I can skip driving for that. Just the drama of "help out"/"*expletive* me over and I'll blacklist you from North Dakota" is unneeded. Kinda a turn-off to be honest. If you trust me and my work speaks for itself go for it... otherwise don't help. That's how I figure it. Guess he's been burned before though."

Be cautious of anyone offering help in one breath and voicing a threat in the next. Be safe. We like you, and want you to be successful. Hope someone there has an address you can use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 PM

175 posts, read 459,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Robione...wow...Hard to understand someone being that rude...
It may not have been his intent but I write how I perceived things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Be cautious of anyone offering help in one breath and voicing a threat in the next...
I feel the same way. Thank you for the safe wishes. I always try and see the best in people. I feel he is truly wanting to bring good karma into his life. I also believe you attract your core beliefs (subconscious thoughts) into your life. So he's had a bunch of "experiences" here in ND already.

I never have really brought anything of that nature into mine. I will be cautious. I promise.

Last edited by robione; 04-11-2012 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Added second response.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:33 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Well just call me Mom....Can't help it. I see you young people risking a lot to come to a place you've never been, and all my Mom instincts are on alert..........lol I have Sons, 4 of them all around your age....I would always appreciate someone passing along some helpful info. Hope no one else takes offense....and I appreciate knowing that you don't. Hope everyone stays safe and finds their way into a good paying job.

Last edited by JanND; 04-12-2012 at 04:41 AM..

Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,235,885 times
I kind of figured you'd strike out with PF. Hubby talked to them early on when he was getting a feel for the area and they wouldn't even talk to the guys with no housing.
But so far as he's concerned, he'd rather drive for someone with sleeper housing anyway... No rent.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:10 AM

192 posts, read 497,514 times
If you need an address FIND A CHURCH talk to the pastor.

The church I'm at actually takes mail for us like a mini post office for free.

Toss em a cuple bucks in the poor box say a few prayers and stop stressing on the address.

2nd option... don't ask just list it. Employers are NOT sending stuff home and can't really verify it. The roommate police don't stop by at 1am to make sure your legit.

PM me and I'll tell you my story.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio125 View Post
If you need an address FIND A CHURCH talk to the pastor....
I like this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio125 View Post
...don't ask just list it...
I usually can't lie well. (i.e. I could at SOS with other recruiter because it was a general question and I prepared myself after the initial rejection, but not at PF because he was wondering about the specific address. Odd perhaps, IDK. Also the more I want to work for someone the harder it is for me.) And if I do lie by picking some random house, at some point I'm going to forget... or some detail will slip out in conversation that will reveal the truth. Having permission from someone (like the church) somehow makes it easy. I can't really explain why... maybe having the support from a third party instead of doing it solo.

Eventually they will have to send a W-2 somewhere though. But that's far off in the future. Perhaps things for benefits too... life insurance and such. IDK never really worked for a company that had that.

It's just me. Even the dude in the ex-oilworker youtube videos that have been posted here several times... Thomas Octavian, I think, said the same thing (lie). Can't do it.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:55 PM

I apologize for my moment of weakness. Although it did result in scorpio's post. I was just getting frustrated. I want everything to happen all at once, but there is only one of me. I think I hide my impatience well.

Today was 07:00 to 17:00 at the base. No particular funny stories or anything. Just a lot of assembling beds. (We took some boards off and then could "easily" move them up the stairs.) Putting covers on desk chairs... plugging in desk lamps. Pretty easy tasks. Special Forces is now assistant foreman. He calls me "Napoleon," which is actually somewhat close to my real name. Apparently I was slightly irate when he said, as a joke yet in a serious tone, I was slacking. Those are just the words a strange set of ears needs to hear and take mental note of. Despite that we are becoming friends. He's a pretty good guy... I'm fairly sensitive, although in that instance I think my response was warranted. I usually don't yell or anything... just throw a few in some well placed statements.

After money shuffling I only need to contribute $350 to my Roth. If everything is kosher I can probably get that done on Monday if the transfer I just did between my bank accounts settles that day. (It is suppose to.)

I looked at my check at Command Center and was surprised. I thought the super put in extra hours or something. Overtime!!! Two more days of work this week!!! Woo Hoo!!!

I met one of the forum members today which was pretty cool. It's really neat to put faces with names. We talked about a bunch of things. There was a job fair today that he attended. He mentioned a few leads for me to follow for trucking. Pretty good timing. As soon as I was free from the chains of my Roth IRA I was thinking about going to TX or something to get on with CR England. Oh wait... I still have the chains of Visa, MC, AMEX and Discover. Another member also sent me a link for a local company with some pretty good pay for drivers. Google didn't really help me out in my brief attempt to get more info. I plan on taking Monday off, or do half a day at the AFB, and see what happens at those 6 companies.

I'll have to look at a sign on my way back from the base but I actually think I may have seen the hiring sign for one of those companies thinking it (the company) was something completely different (from trucking). Maybe I should get glasses.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:33 PM

192 posts, read 497,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robione View Post
Eventually they will have to send a W-2 somewhere though. But that's far off in the future. Perhaps things for benefits too... life insurance and such. IDK never really worked for a company that had that.

After a couple paychecks...

1. You might get company housing.
2. You'll have enough cash to get your own housing
3. You can afford a PO box.

You can easily tell HR to change your address to where ever.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 PM

36 posts, read 102,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robione View Post
As soon as I was free from the chains of my Roth IRA I was thinking about going to TX or something to get on with CR England.
Please, whatever you do, do your research before you sign up with England. I also have a CDL, that I obtained through the local community college program, but it was three years ago almost to the day here, 4/09 when everything collapsed. I applied everywhere and no one would hire me. Freight had gone down the tubes.

Anyway, in the last year or so I started floating out applications for truck driving again, and the only one that gave me the time of day was England. Please go to thetruckersreport.com forum and search for CR England. They are a team/lease/train company. My best estimate form the research I have done is that AT LEAST 85% of their lease drivers fail, and wind up owing on the remainder of the lease, and also have their DAC reports dinged by England when they leave, making them unhireable in the trucking industry.

Yeah, I've got the same problem brother. Went through a great program, but haven't driven in three years.

Keep the faith and good luck!

Old 04-13-2012, 05:39 AM

454 posts, read 940,784 times
robione: I sure enjoy coming here and reading your posts! I haven't met you, but your positive attitude shines through in your words . I agree with you when you say that you attract your beliefs through your thinking - and with thinking like yours, you are sure to be a winner! I'm also very, very impressed that you can't/won't lie in order to have things go your way - WOW, that is something that is rarely seen in this day and age! You're not my kid - but dang, I'm proud of you!

If only more people had character like yours - the world would be a better place for sure.

Hate to read that you may be moving on from ND, you are the type of person that ND needs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota