Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 08:00 PM

175 posts, read 460,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
So far as this other job, is the ball in your court then? You have that job if you want it, too?
Yup. Going to email him some point tonight with a 'Thanks, but not now.' If I really don't like where I'm at he told me the first day I saw him how much experience he could work with. I can miss the window for newbies and still get in with a water company somewhere.

Really depends on hours in Berthold. Water haulers with the company he's suggesting run ~60/wk. Just did a quick Excel sheet... takes ~58 hours to make the same w/ construction/sand. LOL... oh well looks like hours might be an issue if there's a long term slump. I'm not going to chase the highest paycheck either... you just keep chasing. Trust me, I learned this one fishing. I might like sand and hate water or vice versa. Who knows? I don't... yet.

Well second thing too... I really don't want to research a new town. Not like I have deep roots in Minot but I know where everything is. I'm content with my lifestyle for the time being, odd as that may be. I had a hammock in trees in Alaska.... IDK if that's deeper roots or shallower but once I found a spot I liked my first day, I didn't move it until I left (except for fishing trips ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
...might want to consider a Blog....rather than a thread. That is then all about You. A thread is a tool for multiple folks to post opinions etc. ...
Thought about it. But people would only access it (or I could only draw attention to it) from my thread posts right (clicking little icon under my username)? I haven't been in city-data too long before I started looking at ND so I don't know all the ins and outs but on the surface the easiest way to interact with people is through threads it seems. I just didn't want to write into the void so-to-speak.

Same thing for albums. Maybe I just tinkered with my email settings and forgot about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 PM

477 posts, read 1,507,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robione View Post
Thanks guys.

Well I got over it shortly after my response and follow up. If I wasn't writing my life, it wouldn't have bothered me.
Just do whatever the heck you want to do with it.

Quote:
I am REALLY WAITING (someone listening?) for blue skies and good lighting for pictures! There were a few sights I wanted to capture. Photoshop can only do so much though. The speed limit, something I typically would love, puts a damper on picture taking too.
You and me both, I really am praying for a nice sunny summer this year. Last year it was kind of a bummer with all the rain.

Quote:
Stuck out like a sore thumb... bad analogy... the land is so flat... Okay, I admit, there are "rolling" hills and some of them got in the way of my shots while I was "processing." Which was annoying, LOL. You can always tell when you're approaching a town because the grain elevator towers over "everything." Err, I mean the "rolling hills" on the horizon (which that far out are flat ). It seems every town has one, from a dust speck on the map (Ray,ND for sure, Manning, ND... I think) to the cities like Minot. It's always a surprise to see how many streets are in a town as the GPS loads them. Manning had like 10 streets. IDK how many Ray has but I think it has three elevators! I'm not too up on the elevators or how they work despite my quick wikipedia read or if all are operational (in Ray)... but it sure looks like there are three in that small little town. Surefire way to tell you're about to enter a town... the speed limit. 70/75mph -> 45 mph for 1/4 mile or so -> 25mph, then the reverse.
LOl, yeah I never give them much thought growing up on a farm/ranch, we are an agricultural state so got to have some place to unload the fruits of the land.

Quote:
Anywho, I'm curious about the power plant. Does anyone know anything about it? I did end up getting a shot of it. I remember a sign with "Synfuel" on it. Unfortunately my camera is in my car right now. I can upload them later. It was west of the road several miles before reaching Beulah, ND from Minot. Looks like they're preparing the land for something big. Lot of earth moving equipment... well maybe not a lot... but there are some units present on both sides of the road.
Maybe it was the Dakota Gasification Plant? It's coal country there used for power and then DGC also produces different products. Products - Product Profiles - Dakota Gasification Company Well, since I am not going out tonight after a long hard day of work I looked up the site for the synfuel tank being built, I used to live there so it's interesting to me. Dakota Gasification Company

Quote:
I saw something pretty nifty at the "Welcome to Golden Valley" sign near Hwy 200 & Co Rd 5. I'll save that one as a surprise.
Do I get a prize if I guess right?

Quote:
As for the job fair, there were quite a few applicants and only one The female managers seem to dress kinda.... slutty . I'll skip the details.
Were they showing their boobers?

Interesting read, thanks! Seriously do what you want.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:22 PM

10 posts, read 26,510 times
I think you should re-evaluate why you chose to think to make a new thread, or stop making this one, and I know why that was, because of one condescending comment. Without that comment you would have been, just as you have been, throughout this whole thread; updating your status as you reach for success in the North Dakota Bakken oil fields. Everyone who reads (or has continued to read) this thread knows it's not about the first day in North Dakota, and hasn't been since that first day, lol.

..............and, lol

Many have enjoyed what you do here, and only 2 that I have seen so far think to judge you for it.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,271,660 times
Robione, I am positive many people love reading your posts, lengthy and descriptive a real sense of adventure and for some a vicarious thrill. I am wondering how in the world you will keep this type thread up when you are working two jobs?? I have lived the life, there is not much leisure time, especially w/ desiring a second job for your days off.
A question about the "The pay is a percentage of the invoice, equivalent to ~$25/hr." If your choices are whether to haul..crude, water or sand. Or, does the company decide for you?? Which is most valuable?? I'm guessing crude. Does that have some bearing on your choice?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:34 PM

As for me commenting too much on this, robione's thread? lol

That's about to end as I am leaving the house that this computer is plugged into and heading to ND to extend my own arm out into the Bakken and see what my hand brings back unto me.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:53 PM

[Mod cut] This documentary of robione's adventure/struggle in the bakken has given me inspiration and confidence to leave my home and state and head to North Dakota, myself. This thread has given me a telescopic view into what searching for a job in the bakken entails; what to expect from interviewers, what kind of information to provide, and which not to, and this thread has given me an understanding of the current picture of jobs outlook for the bakken oil patch (through robione and others).

Now I wish to ask, what harm is there in any of this?

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-21-2012 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: Trolling. Stick to the topic and don't worry about others.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:17 PM

Thanks again guys but seriously I'm fine. I was a soft plush doormat for years. Time, fishing, and my Alaskan lifestyle toughened me plenty but sometimes I slip back into old patterns. Next time I won't edit my post 5x and you can witness a snappy (and very short) response LOL. Reasons for ending this and starting a new thread are as I said, trust me. Again might keep this going as I don't see me discussing everyday of my job, LOL. I'm sure I have a bunch to learn and talk about at first but after that it would seem to be the same song over and over. Unless you want the next phase which is what I do with the cash LOL. I'm not sure if that'd be too interesting. There are some out-of-the-box things though, but I'll just be excited when my net worth is $0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
... when you are working two jobs?? I have lived the life, there is not much leisure time, especially w/ desiring a second job for your days off.

A question about the "The pay is a percentage of the invoice, equivalent to ~$25/hr." If your choices are whether to haul..crude, water or sand. Or, does the company decide for you?? Which is most valuable?? I'm guessing crude. Does that have some bearing on your choice?
Try juggling 4 bartending jobs LOL. Everyone hated me after that season. They all want you on the weekends. The choice here is between one or the other... not two at once. I chose the one who first contacted me. The only way to do two "at once" is a 2/2 rotation IMHO. But then you really got yourself in a pickle if you actually need time off.

As for the one at the job fair... that pay was based on water. Crude does get the highest pay. The driver is hauling "the money," so-to-speak, and the increased responsibility/liability with it. Also there is no line of a gazillion trucks to deal with [according to the rep I interviewed with]. He said the only thing in common between crude and water is the tanker. And yes, the company chooses what you haul.

Last edited by robione; 04-20-2012 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: added "(and very short)"

Old 04-20-2012, 10:40 PM

Pics from the day:

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/576055_10150678837648059_644193058_9474492_4550039 64_n.jpg (broken link)

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/149442_10150678837568059_644193058_9474491_1527655 012_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-20-2012, 11:12 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,271,660 times
Quote:
Thanks again guys but seriously I'm fine. I was a soft plush doormat for years. Time, fishing, and my Alaskan lifestyle toughened me plenty but sometimes I slip back into old patterns. Next time I won't edit my post 5x and you can witness a snappy (and very short) response LOL. Reasons for ending this and starting a new thread are as I said, trust me. Again might keep this going as I don't see me discussing everyday of my job, LOL. I'm sure I have a bunch to learn and talk about at first but after that it would seem to be the same song over and over. Unless you want the next phase which is what I do with the cash LOL. I'm not sure if that'd be too interesting. There are some out-of-the-box things though, but I'll just be excited when my net worth is $0.

Try juggling 4 bartending jobs LOL. Everyone hated me after that season. They all want you on the weekends. The choice here is between one or the other... not two at once. I chose the one who first contacted me. The only way to do two "at once" is a 2/2 rotation IMHO. But then you really got yourself in a pickle if you actually need time off.

As for the one at the job fair... that pay was based on water. Crude does get the highest pay. The driver is hauling "the money," so-to-speak, and the increased responsibility/liability with it. Also there is no line of a gazillion trucks to deal with [according to the rep I interviewed with]. He said the only thing in common between crude and water is the tanker. And yes, the company chooses what you haul.
I see, well are you considering crude then?? I have a renter that has switched his company trucks from water, which he did for the last 6 yrs....to crude. Well, I hope you get the job you want. And, you will have lots of networking opportunity, soon as you get into the field, no doubt.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:49 AM

454 posts, read 941,887 times
When members offer a different opinion, it doesn't mean that opinion is wrong, it's just different. And if people chose to post things here, they have to realize that not every other member is going to agree with everything they post.

I like this thread, I think it's helping people - I just don't want to see it get dragged down with 'personal' issues that some members have with other members.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-21-2012 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: I removed part as it was no longer applicable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota