Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 09:50 PM

10 posts, read 26,508 times

Advertisements

You ever get a plug kit from a convenience store or an auto store before robione?

I have, and plugged a few tires myself.

Saved me on a trip to Dallas one time. Was parked at a Walmart in Texarkana overnight, believe it or not, lol...and that went fine....but the next day, when I decided to move my van around to where I could view the customers walking in an out of the store for a little free entertainment as I ate my sandwich.....I picked up a roofing nail. Pulled the wheel off the van, plugged it myself, rolled it over to the Walmart gas station on their lot, aired it up, put it back on the van, got over being pissed, and got the hell out of Texarkana.

I was very pleased with myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 10:47 PM

175 posts, read 460,350 times
There's a little story behind my car... the really short version: I seized the engine, bought one for $450 (s/h included), and swapped it. Car didn't start... I thought it was my father's fault as the wiring harness got crushed as I lowered the engine by his signals. (Couldn't be further from the truth. All my fault.) That was 03/2010... go to Alaska... come back 03/2012 and fix it. The problem? Humorously summed up here:

Car engine pic

As for the mention of water (in the link), I mysteriously had a quart more of oil than I should... so, before starting it, I drained out ~ 1qt of water when I cracked open the drain plug.

Anywho... so tires sat for two years. Passenger-rear's sidewall disintegrated in Indiana somewhere. Passenger-front had some minor cracking just below the tread.... on the outside. The inside was a little different and that's the part that let go. Amazingly they passed inspection done within a week before I left, LOL.

Your advice is sound though. I should grab one. I have nearly all my tools here. It would be a welcome addition.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Congratulations !!! Please post the pictures when you can.
Thanks. I posted some in the picture sticky here. Should go to the post directly... if not it's #204.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:14 AM

625 posts, read 1,885,329 times
If you quit this thread, I hope you start a new one telling about your job. I really enjoy reading your posts.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:22 PM

10 posts, read 26,508 times
Okay I'm gonna say it cuz I think it needs said...

I don't think you should quit this thread just cuz of some dude's comment that was very negative.

A lot of people like this thread, and I'm sure its helped a few people. This is your thread, robione, not somebody [Mod cut]. Why let one negative, and condescending comment discourage you from freedom of expression on the internet?

I wouldn't have even responded to that comment, myself. I know it wouldn't have made me change who I am or what I do here. I think it was BS, and I don't think you should change what you are doing. Many people have said how much they enjoy this online journal of your adventure.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents....but only one man's opinion.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-21-2012 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: Trolling

Old 04-20-2012, 02:00 PM

36 posts, read 102,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova_sunset View Post
Okay I'm gonna say it cuz I think it needs said...

I don't think you should quit this thread just cuz of some dude's comment that was very negative.

A lot of people like this thread, and I'm sure its helped a few people. This is your thread, robione, not somebody who has something in common with a spider, not to mention names. Why let one negative, and condescending comment discourage you from freedom of expression on the internet?

I wouldn't have even responded to that comment, myself. I know it wouldn't have made me change who I am or what I do here. I think it was BS, and I don't think you should change what you are doing. Many people have said how much they enjoy this online journal of your adventure.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents....but only one man's opinion.
[Mod cut]

No matter what YOU choose (and it is YOUR choice), I wish you the best of luck and appreciate greatly that you've taken the amount of time to update us, and give folks a glimpse here as to what it is like to roll into the last area of the country where a person can make a real go of it, with nothing but a used car and the few belongings you fit into it.

This thread is greatly appreciated, and I hope you keep it going! Best of luck to you.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-21-2012 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Trolling

Old 04-20-2012, 05:30 PM

Thanks guys.

Well I got over it shortly after my response and follow up. If I wasn't writing my life, it wouldn't have bothered me. However, if you're referring to my "mission accomplished, moving onto pictures" post... well, I could keep it going. And wouldn't mind doing so but the reasoning there is different. The topic has definitely shifted from "My 1st day in ND, 1st sights/impressions." And would shift even further with describing my job life. So I was thinking about keeping it to my job search and my thoughts and experiences through that process. (Can an admin can rename a thread? Would that botch links up?)

I can already tell you what they will be my first day... nervous excitement. Until I decide what do to I'll be writing with less verbosity. (My real thoughts/experiences skipping the attempt at humor and less non-oilfield info.) Maybe.

I did go to the job fair today in Dickinson, just for chuckles, as my high school chem teacher would say. It was held at a staffing agency, UCP, from 9am-2pm. Luckily Dickinson is in another timezone so I hit the road @ ~07:15 for my 175 mile drive. I thought it would at least give me an opportunity to see some more of the state. In that respect it couldn't be a waste.

I am REALLY WAITING (someone listening?) for blue skies and good lighting for pictures! There were a few sights I wanted to capture. Photoshop can only do so much though. The speed limit, something I typically would love, puts a damper on picture taking too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Brain
Hmmm. Look! Trees! Rolling hills! The field and livestock for variation in the monochromatic grass.

That might be a good shot!

[Processing.... processing...]

Oh crap I need to reverse 1/4 mile to take it. Oh well onto the next one.
And I see something else and the process repeats itself. Occasionally I tell myself not to think about it and just stop. But I don't like stopping on the roads either LOL. It feels like I'm going to fall off. Most don't have breakdown lanes. It's more like a rumble strip, half a foot of pavement, and a grassy slope into oblivion. (Okay, a shallow drainage ditch that you could probably drive up the opposite side.) Although it's just grass, not seeing the ground gets me thinking something could puncture my tire... which would suck for sure at this point LOL. City-thinking I guess.

There's a lot of wind turbines starting about 12 miles south of Minot on 83 and they last about 10 miles. That was a sight, and probably would've came out a lot better than my Ohio shot where I only could capture two. (No pic yet of ND turbines.) Then came the Garrison Dam. I thought, what I assume is the power plant, was cooler and grabbed a few shots of that on the way to and from Dickinson. Then (maybe it was before, can't remember) came a huge power plant in the middle of nowhere.

Stuck out like a sore thumb... bad analogy... the land is so flat... Okay, I admit, there are "rolling" hills and some of them got in the way of my shots while I was "processing." Which was annoying, LOL. You can always tell when you're approaching a town because the grain elevator towers over "everything." Err, I mean the "rolling hills" on the horizon (which that far out are flat ). It seems every town has one, from a dust speck on the map (Ray,ND for sure, Manning, ND... I think) to the cities like Minot. It's always a surprise to see how many streets are in a town as the GPS loads them. Manning had like 10 streets. IDK how many Ray has but I think it has three elevators! I'm not too up on the elevators or how they work despite my quick wikipedia read or if all are operational (in Ray)... but it sure looks like there are three in that small little town. Surefire way to tell you're about to enter a town... the speed limit. 70/75mph -> 45 mph for 1/4 mile or so -> 25mph, then the reverse.

Anywho, I'm curious about the power plant. Does anyone know anything about it? I did end up getting a shot of it. I remember a sign with "Synfuel" on it. Unfortunately my camera is in my car right now. I can upload them later. It was west of the road several miles before reaching Beulah, ND from Minot. Looks like they're preparing the land for something big. Lot of earth moving equipment... well maybe not a lot... but there are some units present on both sides of the road.

I had a double take while driving. There's this cemetery in the middle of nowhere. The first take was just that it was present. The second was to try and decipher the name at 75mph... "Pet Cemetery!" (rumble, rumble, rumble). On the way back I was more prepared... "St. Peter's Cemetery." I decided to head north from Dickinson and drive through Kildeer before heading back east. I saw something pretty nifty at the "Welcome to Golden Valley" sign near Hwy 200 & Co Rd 5. I'll save that one as a surprise.

As for the job fair, there were quite a few applicants and only one interviewer initially. They added another while I was there. Some people missed the "CDL" in "CDL Job Fair" so they were quickies. I sat in the main room eventually. I had started out in the hall. The female managers seem to dress kinda.... slutty . I'll skip the details.

The agency itself was interviewing for a few employers and hiring on the spot for one. The door to the interview room opened and out popped the interviewer... the dude I've been talking with in Minot. He happily acknowledged my presence with an enthusiastic 'hiya.' I thought, "I'm screwed. Well I saw some cool things on the way in. " I also thought having the choice I would prefer him over the girl. I already have a good repoire with him. He just shoos me away 'cause I have no experience.

When my name was called it was for female interviewer. I opted to let someone go ahead of me. A few minutes later the door to his room opened... then closed. Then opened and the interviewee almost steps through... then closes. (And again... and again) We got a chuckle in the lobby. Finally when that was through I sat with him.

Quote:
Me: Hey. How are things?

UCP: Great. How about yourself?

Me: Good.

UCP: I have good news.

Me: Really? Does this mean I have to make a decision?

UCP: Yup. I was thinking about you. They're bringing on 5 new people a week for a month that I think would work well with them. [Plus additional experienced drivers.]

[Bring up I'm already hired and just checking it out. A little back and forth below...]
So then we got into 'why tankers?' And I responsed with what I ended my post with yesterday. That being sand goes in, water goes in and comes out... and tankers take crude... AND a lot more water has to go than sand. I wasn't sure if that meant more drivers or more time. His response was "Yes, and yes." He also said:
  • Doesn't really matter if you do sand or water. One can transfer to crude from either.
  • Crude is generally hired from within. Many companies do water/crude or all three.
  • More competition in water so I'd probably make less than with sand. [So far.]
  • Increased competition means undercutting and companies have lost contracts because of competition
  • A slow down is generally across the board for (sand/water) drivers.
  • The slow down now is because of the mild winter. There was one day that was real cold. Supervisors were out there ALL the time. The slow down is a result of them taking there breaks now instead of in the -30+ degree weather. (The supers apparently not getting the nice rotations their subordinates do.) Normally the rain/mud wouldn't be too much of an issue. [That's what I was told almost verbatim.]

The pay is a percentage of the invoice, equivalent to ~$25/hr. I'm assuming it would go up once you're free from the agency's contract or the company buys you out from them. But not necessarily so. Housing FREE for two weeks, then $200/wk thereafter. The unnamed company is based out of Dickinson.

Last edited by robione; 04-20-2012 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Corrected pay for position

Old 04-20-2012, 06:28 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,241,923 times
Quote:
The topic has definitely shifted from "My 1st day in ND, 1st sights/impressions." And would shift even further with describing my job life. So I was thinking about keeping it to my job search and my thoughts and experiences through that process. (Can an admin can rename a thread? Would that botch links up?)
You might consider creating a new thread as "Month one in ND" or some such, and the first post in the thread links you back to this particular thread.
And somewhere in there you need to say something along the lines of, "And Fred is absolutely invaluable for suggesting several avenues to explore, one of which was the job I ended up getting." Maybe make it red.
And blinking!

Then I might get some rep. points without having to post too often...

So far as this other job, is the ball in your court then? You have that job if you want it, too?

Last edited by itsMeFred; 04-20-2012 at 06:38 PM..

Old 04-20-2012, 06:51 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,266,266 times
Robione....Sounds like you might want to consider a Blog....rather than a thread. That is then all about You. A thread is a tool for multiple folks to post opinions etc. If you are looking for way to compile your experiences as a diary...I suggest a blog.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:36 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,241,923 times
Maybe...
At the same time, while a blog does allow for comments, a thread is better for ongoing conversation. Also, I don't know about others here, but I almost never read the blogs.
I think a thread would draw more traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota