Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,055 times

Advertisements

I am really confused and was hoping you might give me some insight. I have filed hundreds of applications online for entry level oil field positions. Every single response that has come back has been a negative. I am not sure why, in fact I cannot believe that no one would be willing to hire a vet, with good references, in good health, with a sound work ethic . I have a CDL with ALL endorsements, and have sought work doing anything imaginable. Could it be my resume? I can work in any weather, any terrain, can learn easily, all the things that I would be looking for in an employee, all verifiable through references. So, I can only think it's my resume or my age (43) that scares recruiters away. This has been an ongoing process for me for over a year now. I was hoping someone could look at my resume and tell me what you think, and if not that, then should I just give up trying to start a new career in the Oil Industry?
I see that many people recommend going to an oil boom area and start knocking on doors. I did that last winter in North Dakota, went from Dickinson, to Williston, To Bismarck and back again to Dickinson. I wasn’t just applying for a driving job, although I really want to learn about coiled tubing and fraccing, I will settle for any job in the oil industry where I can work hard and for a long time, I’d even drive around scrubbing port-a- pody’s if it would give me a chance. I have a little money left since my layoff in June 2011, but I also have two kid’s to feed. I would certainly climb in my truck and head to Odessa and start knocking on door’s if I wasn’t worried about losing what I have left in the face of my children. I am at my wits end. I know that the oil field could give me a career in which to retire, I just can’t seem to get anyone to take a look at me.
If anyone out there can point me in the right direction I sure would be grateful. I can work any hours, any shift, learn real fast, can travel anywhere in the US and could go at a moment’s notice. I want to put my Email here so if anyone could shoot me a line and tell me what they think, or if they want to look at my resume and tell me if it’s not any good for this, I would appreciate and respond to any and all.
Applied to:
Key Energy/Chesapeake Energy/CUDD Energy/Nabors/RIGZONE (various)/Halliburton/Schlumberger/Fractech
And a host of others this past year.
Regards

William R. Soronen
Wilsword2@aol.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 PM

171 posts, read 530,604 times
Well, the March issue of National Geographic has an article that profiles a woman trucker up there where they're doing all that frakking. So, yeah you should be able to get a job doing inventory. Maybe reading the article would inspire you, give you hope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clcson View Post
I have submitted my ap/resume online, for a position in Williston doing inventory control. Is there even a remote chance that I will get an interview for this since I am not presently in ND and I am a female?

Old 02-23-2013, 06:42 PM

114 posts, read 355,543 times
Default National Geo Mar 2013

The New Oil Landscape - Photo Gallery - Pictures, More From National Geographic Magazine

Old 02-25-2013, 12:56 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,530 times
An excellent article from People Magazine:

The Oil Boom: Going Where the Jobs Are : People.com

Also, another sterling article from the Times:

North Dakota Went Boom -- The New York Times

Also, a sad article from CNN. Too many people trying to find jobs in North Dakota, with no place to live:

Boomtown charity buys homeless one-way ticket out - Jan. 11, 2013

Old 02-25-2013, 01:30 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
An excellent article from People Magazine:

The Oil Boom: Going Where the Jobs Are : People.com

Also, another sterling article from the Times:

North Dakota Went Boom -- The New York Times

Also, a sad article from CNN. Too many people trying to find jobs in North Dakota, with no place to live:

Boomtown charity buys homeless one-way ticket out - Jan. 11, 2013
I find it amazing that the New York Times has finally run an article talking about the oil boom in North Dakota. Of course, the boom started in 2009 and got really heated up by 2011. They are only 4 years behind what is happening out West.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:46 PM

26 posts, read 49,239 times
I am sure there are good number of people looking for a job across the globe due to unavoidable condition of the economy.They have to take the brunt even after being the best and having all the talent under the Sun.Infact their family goes through a horrible time making both ends meet.I am sure they will get a job by the grace of God but they need to have tremendous faith in God.I am moving a little away from the topic but this is of utmost importance as it helps one to keep themselves calm and have faith in their ability.I think there are other ways of reaching out to people through professional sites and social sites.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,104 times
Great resource for oilfield jobs in North Dakota: Work Dakota

Old 10-02-2013, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,524 times
How can I get a job in the oild field I a have been out online but no response back I was wanting to know how to get ahold of you for even tried to take our family down there to find a job. Please get back me

Old 10-02-2013, 11:42 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camacho12 View Post
How can I get a job in the oild field I a have been out online but no response back I was wanting to know how to get ahold of you for even tried to take our family down there to find a job. Please get back me
I would suggest you read through some of the threads here. Your question has been answered numerous times. Maybe browse through the threads and then narrow down your question.

We could tell you that McDonalds is hiring, but that might not be what you want.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:55 PM

155 posts, read 421,171 times
If your looking for oil jobs in North Dakota there are numerous great resoures. Here's a list of some of the best places to find an oil job in North Dakota.

Bakken Oil Careers - North Dakota Oil Jobs
Job Service North Dakota
USA Oil Careers - Building Long Lasting Relationships In The Oil And Gas Industry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota