Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 PM

39 posts, read 98,487 times

Advertisements

Something I don't see a lot of talk about on here is the physical fitness testing that most, if not all, companies do with candidates who apply for work on rigs.

From what I've read on other sites, these tests are more about cardio than they are about strength. I've seen numerous people talking about how a heart rate monitor is attached to you during the test and that if your heart rate rises above a certain level during the test, you fail and are not employable, no exceptions. I saw a post on a forum from an 18 year old that says he failed even though he thought he was in top physical shape.

When I first considered trying out a career on an oil rig, I was certain I could handle the work since I'm a strong person and have always worked in manufacturing. What I'm not so sure of is my ability to pass a test based on cardio endurance.

Can anybody here offer some insight on the pre-employment physicals? Are all employers doing them and if so, are they all based on cardio endurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 05:01 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
This was posted by a guy that was here in Feb., he has lots of interesting videos,(Watch all his videos...GOOD INFO) Here is one where he describes "Work Steps" part of the testing used in pre-employment testing. Not sure if this is still the standard....
You can also research.."Work Steps" this link is just one "work steps" link I found Servicees: New Hires: WorkSTEPS ...Good luck.

What to expect during a pre-employment oil field physical exam - YouTube

Last edited by JanND; 05-24-2012 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: corrected link

Old 05-24-2012, 03:47 PM

59 posts, read 138,368 times
Yes, it is more about Cardio than strength. The strength part is really easy for most guys. If you have any difficulty with that, you should reconsider working on a rig.

If you have fast resting heart rate, the test can be difficult though. After you do some warm up exercise, it needs to fall below a certain level. If you decided to take the test, make sure you are in good shape. Do whatever it takes to not be nervous during the test; nervousness doesn't make the heart beat any slower.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:35 PM

60 posts, read 156,804 times
I am 48 years old and have taken the work steps test three times since January. Each and everytime I passed. I am overweight but was able to perform the cardio postion without problem.

Also the strength tests involved picking up and moving different weights and pulling and pushing a weighted sled.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:20 PM

39 posts, read 98,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydink63 View Post
I am 48 years old and have taken the work steps test three times since January. Each and everytime I passed. I am overweight but was able to perform the cardio postion without problem.

Also the strength tests involved picking up and moving different weights and pulling and pushing a weighted sled.
I see from one of your other posts that you were hired for a different position in the past so is it possible that your test wasn't the same intensity of the one given to rig applicants? Are you working on a rig now?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:11 PM

60 posts, read 156,804 times
Sure it is possible but I took the same test they give to the Equipment Operators who have very physically demanding jobs. I think they consider all positions physically demanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota